“Amra Palace Hotel”
Review of Amra Palace Hotel

Amra Palace Hotel
Ranked #15 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We understood this hotel to be a 3 star, I would say it is more like 3+ or 4 star. The rooms are spacious and the food very good value. Wadi Musa is not great on accommodation or restaurants so we were relieved to find both at the Amra. It is clean and comfortable with a coverd pool and sun deck. A real bonus was the very helpful Aussie recetionist who was able to give us useful advice about visits to Petra, what ticket we should get etc and provide us with refreshing mint tea in the afternoon.

A lovely place

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spannerSouthport

Reviewed November 12, 2011

We stayed there last week and I have to say that our experience unfortunately had little in common with the reviews of other travelers on this site. (which I used as a guideline to actually choose the hotel for our trip) But let me start by saying that the Front Office staff is very friendly, helpful and welcoming! They certainly made a difference.
The breakfast buffet is indeed suprisingly big and offers quite some variety but not always the freshest products (ie soggy or stale bread).
The hotel is clean, quite an old building tho which is starting to show.
It lacks maintenance in certain areas and as for the mentioned pool and 'spa' area, I personally felt it wasn't very well looked after. Cracks in the floor, broken drainage around the pool area and a lack of cleanliness didn't tempt us at all to relax after a long day out in Petra.
Last but not least I would like to point something out that really upset us.
Please let me first say that I have absolutely nothing against a hotel that decides not to serve alcohol and I would certainly not make my decision on staying in a property based on that fact.
But if I am taken by the wait staff for a fool and despite asking several times if the beer served to me is non-alcoholic (one who knows both can absolutely tell the difference), that really bugs me.
Our suspicion was confirmed the day after by one of the morning staff who told us that they do not serve alcohol in the hotel but won't admit it as it might bring down business.
Again, I don't mind sipping on a non alcoholic beverage but being treated like an idiot is a dealbreaker.
Overall, and to close my review, the hotel is good for one night as the majority of the staff is really friendly and it is not too far from the actual sight - just don't expect too much.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sabine L
Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is a great hotel with a friendly feel to it. Rooms are comfortable & a good size. Pool is nice & we had it to ourselves. Terrace is a nice place to relax & it's a short / easy stroll to some restaurants.

It's not one of the closest hotels to Petra, it's probably about 2 kms away, but cheap / easy taxi ride or easy drive with ample free parking at Petra.

The benefit of staying overnight in Petra / Wadi Musa is that you can avoid all the hordes of day trippers & go into Petra at sunrise / sunset. We went in at 6.30am which was perfect, we were the only 3 people for whole length of the siq, we had the place to ourselves for the first few hours & it was much cooler to walk around. So much nicer then the crowds after 11am!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank BJandJ
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I came to Petra in 2011. Stayed in Amra Hotel - this trip I stayed there again - and I still say its fantastic in every sense of the word! Good value for money! Staff was friendly and the room was clean!

Highly recommended for those who doesn't want to burn their pockets but still expect quality.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank nanie9119
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I read a lot of comments about the hotel location, because it fare a way from Petra location about 1,5 KM, but at the every one need a lot of things while he stayed in Wadi Mousa, for example the ATM just founded in the down town, and to by the tickets from the visitor center you have to pay in cash, so you need to have some cash from the ATM , so you have to go to the down town, then back a gain to the visitor center.
I found a lot of people who they staying in a hotels close to Petra gate, that they have ho get a taxi from the hotel to the city center at the morning to get some money from ATM, then go to Petra, and at the evening they take a taxi a gain to the City Center because they want to by something or shopping, or have the dinner in some of the local restaurants,
So for every one looking for a good tour, and he want to save a money, stay in Amra Palace Hotel , good value of money, great location, wonderful and helpful stuff , Really Amra is the best .

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank tobias h
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We were so glad that we stayed at Amra Palace hotel when we visited Petra. Everything was perfect! From the welcome by the reception staff, to our room which had a great view of Petra and a very comfortable bed, to the great variety and very tasty buffet breakfast and dinner. All the staff went out of their way to make you feel at home. There is aTurkish bath offer for 13JD where you get a Turkish bath and unlimited internet. This represents great value - we got 3 days of internet access and the Turkish bath/scrub/massage was amazing and just what we both needed after 2 days of solid walking in Petra.
The hotel is located in the town area and walking distance to all the local shops and restaurants and only a short drive/2JD taxi ride to the entrance of Petra.
Staying at Amra Palace was a highlight of our trip in Jordan.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ccoley1982
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were welcomed at the Amra Palace Hotel with the most friendly, helpful and informative welcome from Aya. She must give that information 50 times a day, but she didn't sound like it! She answered all of our questions, and gave us all the information we needed to explore Petra. She had no more triples due to a large group, but did not charge us additionally for splitting us up into 2 rooms.

The rooms are small and simple, but comfortable. The only downside was the shower was a trickle of cool water.

The Lonely Planet ranks it as a midrange - and I would completely agree. I recommend staying here rather then down by the entrance to Petra. The prices for food and hotel are outrageous by the entrance, and it is only a short drive or taxi from the Amra Palace to the entrance of Petra. The rooms facing the front have much nicer views, but are also a bit louder.

Would definitely stay at the Amra Palace Hotel if I return to Petra again!

Room Tip: Front rooms have nicer views, but are a bit louder.