“Not to be missed”

Petra World Heritage Site
Book In Advance
$120.00*
and up
Private Petra Round-Trip Transfers from Amman with Optional Local Guide and...
$48.75*
Petra by Night Tour Ticket
$199.00*
Full-Day Tour of Petra from Eilat
More attraction details
Owner description: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Petra (ancient capital city of the Nabataean people) recently proclaimed as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Southern New Jersey
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Petra is one of the most amazing archaeological sites I have had the privilege of visiting. It is not to be missed! I felt I had stepped into the movie set for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but then this is where the ending was filmed. Before Petra was developed as a World Heritage site, a Bedouin tribe made its home here, living in the ancient caves of Petra. As part of the development of the site for tourists, the Bedouins were moved out of the area of the ruins to a newly constructed village. Our guide told us that part of the deal was that tribal members are allowed to maintain souvenir stands, snack bars and animal rides within the site. A carriage ride in and out, to the Treasury is included with your ticket, but a tip is expected at the end of the the ride. You will constantly be asked if you want a donkey ride, but we found the offers to be polite and good humored. At the end of the gorge is a large, clean restaurant managed by Crowne Plaza which has a nice buffet. There were modern bathrooms spotted half way in and by the restaurant, at the end. At the halfway WC, the author of I Married a Bedouin (Margarite de Geldermalsen) has a jewelry stand where she sells jewelry and other items crafted by local Bedouin women. She'll also sell you her book, or you can buy it from Amazon or download it to your Kindle before you leave.

After lunch at the Crowne Plaza restaurant, after a long, hot day of trekking through the ruins with a bit of climbing thrown in, we were glad to have a donkey ride back to the Treasury. It was just more of the adventure. But be sure to negotiate price in advance. My only regret is that we decided to walk the rest of the way from the Treasury to the entrance rather than taking the carriage ride out. The hike out seemed far longer than it had been coming in.

As you exit to the main road, right across the street is the Moevenpick Hotel. After a long, hot, dusty, though amazing day in the ruins of Petra, there is nothing like a delicious ice cream cone from the ice cream shop at the Moevenpick Hotel. They even have an outdoor window and seating in the shade of their patio. The quality of the ice cream is superb and they have free wifi for texting home on Viber to let the folks at home know what a great time you're having.

Visited May 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Petra”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

A dream come true, better than expected, better than any amount of research can portray.
BUT FOR THE LOCALS INSISTING ONE TO TAKE A DONKEY RIDE.
in a country where manners, graciousness and charm excels you are continually badgered by these young people. As an elderly solo traveller I was an easy target,I wanted to take my time, to walk, to enjoy. I also was appalled by the animal abuse, surly Petra is not immune from the control of the authorities? Maybe their beloved King can hear about this terrible side of Jordon that the visitor sees.

2 Thank margaretinnz
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Petra- animal abuse”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have just come back from a work trip in Jordan and visted Petra. While the site itself is beautiful, overwhelming and soaked in History, the 3 hours I spent there was completely distracted by the horrible, horrible animal abuse I witnessed. I saw a child kick and push a donkey over, another child lead a donkey into a corner and kicked, attacked and threw rocks at it's face. I tried to stop him which seemed to make him do it more. I told one of the older people and the Police who didn't care. The horses were in awful condition,one was eating dust from the ground. The donkeys noses had cuts and ridges where the chains cut into their noses. It was shameful to see so many fat Americans riding on the poor suffering animals. I really didn't expect to find my time there so upsetting. We made a statement as we left but I'm certain nothing will come of it.

10 Thank Shennapop
Redcliffe Queensland
3 attraction reviews
“Petra visit with Ramses Tours”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked the Petra and Wadi Rum tour through Ramses Tours for a visit on the 8th May.

Ramses were very good with their written communication and tour details before departing for our holiday and also arranged for us to pay the total amount of the tour prior to departing Australia. We didn't want to carry large amounts of money around whilst travelling.

Petra is an amazing place and one that must be visited in a life time.

Our tour guide from Ramses Tours was very knowledgeable and professional. He was also very considerate of my husband's back problems and maintained a pace that was adequate for him throughout the day....also arranging for a horse and cart to take him back out of Petra.

Petra was a highlight of our holiday. Once at the Treasury our tour guide offered to take us higher up to the Monastery and tombs, which, initially very hesitant, we agreed to go. The additional assistance that our guide offered to enable us to climb to the higher points was well worth the efforts. It provided us with another view of Petra that others do not experience. My husband unfortunately was unable to join us for that part of the walk. The seven of us were overawed by the experience and we thank our guide for encouraging us to go.

The only negative comment is that our guide was unaware that Wadi Rum was also part of our tour - which was paid for prior to departing Australia. This was obviously a break down in communication between Management of your company and our guide, who had to rearrange our time in Petra and also our lunch schedule to allow sufficient time to visit the Wadi Rum.

I think we may have been left with the last of the four wheel drives... as the car had no shade and was lacking in any form of comfort. A big thanks to our guide who managed to rearrange times to get us to the Wadi Rum for 1.5 hours - to at least experience the wonder - and then transfer us back to the ship in time. We would recommend this knowledgeable, friendly and professional guide to anyone visiting Petra. Unfortunately I cannot remember our guides name.

Visited May 2013
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I'm still wide-eyed”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Petra is an experience never to be forgotten. It speaks to the ancient history of this complicated area of the world, it tells a story of brilliant architectural design, faith in the human spirit, ingenuity and in the end fulfills exactly what many have come to understand about this ancient land, that humankind existed here, built here and paved the way for generations to come.

I won't take up time telling you about the history of Petra, there is plenty you can find online on that score. Instead let me try and support any notion you have to venture to Petra and try to calm any concerns that would turn you away.

1. Getting there-is actually quite easy. Plenty of good tourist agencies have established trips. My advice don't do this on your own. Go with a recognized and accredited travel agency.they take care of everything from either side of the border (Jordan or Israel).

2. Safety and security-this is simply not an issue. The peace between Israel and Jordan is strong if maybe a bit cold. Yes it's a bit bureaucratic and if travelling to Petra from Israel you have to show your passport more than you think necessary but its surprisingly smooth. And most tour companies supply an armed security guard once in Jordan which gives an unneeded sense of security.

3. Food and drink-try to bring your own water though there is plenty of water to be ought at twice the price. food is plentiful with cafes even set up in the ancient city, though strangely they do not take away from the experience. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK cant stress this enough!!! While not as hot as Eilat it can get oppressive and water is the only antidote.

4. Walking-is an overall theme of Petra. While there is undoubtedly a lot of it don't let it deter you. The walk into Petra is about 2km through an incredible canyon. It's a slight decline so its an easy walk and when you come upon your first glimpse of Petra it all seems worth it. The way back is a bit tougher since you have to negotiate the incline but if you take it easy and have no mobility issues its not as bad a some suggest. For those who complained about donkey dung along the road...give me a break...it's the Middle East, get use to it! You can take a horse, donkey and carriages but urge you not to take it. There are too many stories of tourists being ripped off with demands of exorbitant prices. Forget it! Total walking about 10 km.

5. Overall a great breathtaking experience. Best to go anytime from March to June. After that its just to hot for comfort.

Hope this has been helpful.

3 Thank BernieFarber