Open today: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Ways to Experience Monastery (Al Dayr)
from $325.00
More Info
3,293 results
All reviews worth the climb worth the effort long walk hard climb take your time on foot bring water early in the morning donkey rides petra site visiting petra steps monastery hike mule path valley
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020

the heart of petra!!! Dont visit petra and miss the monastery. It is totaly breathtaking. the spot is also unbelivable. Totaly worth the rough road !

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank 141akisd
Reviewed January 17, 2020

The hike is ok, not that bad, yes a lot of stairs but easy so there are worse hikes around Petra. If you can't do it spend the money on the donkey (although I saw several people demount as they got scared). Toilets are at the base and at the top. Food and drinks as well but there is also a smaller one along the way. So take your time and enjoy. Once you reach you can enjoy the monastery - I would recommend to sit down have a tea or coffee and enjoy the view and take in the sight.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Firstly, climbing was not bad at all, and I'm not super fit. I'm a 31, Pilates once a week sort. It probably didn't hurt that I was counting the steps up, so I always knew how far away I was.

Petra is the most amazing of the 7 Wonders of the World that I've seen, and Al A-Dier topped to the list at the site. There's a cafe up top, with plenty of places to take pictures. There are plenty of spots you can climb for different views, and after the climb up, these were nothing to me.

Getting there: the site opens at 6am. I got to the visitor's center at 7am. I didn't stop anywhere before I got to the Great Temple (because I had already done those). With those two stops plus a bathroom break at the bottom of the steps to the Monastery, I started my climb at about 9am and was there at 9:45. My advice:

1. Get there as early as you can; not only will you beat the crowds, you'll beat the massive donkey waste that had accrued by the time I was descending
2. The donkey rides are reasonably priced, but I didn't feel I needed them. I didn't see any evidence of animal abuse myself
3. DO NOT buy anything from any of the vendors! Not only do they overcharge, they will steal your identity! As a matter of fact, avoid talking to them. If you so much as look at one thing, they'll suck you in
4. Use the bathroom at the base of the stairs; you'll be drinking a lot of water on the way up, and there aren't any bathrooms until you return
5. Most importantly, do this if you can. It was incredible

Date of experience: November 2019
2  Thank Nadina P
Reviewed January 8, 2020

We actually did it by taking a taxi to the back entrance and descending. It's also quite a hike but we were completely alone the whole time and the views were amazing. I recommend it if you get a two day Jordan pass.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 7, 2020

Amazing feeling once you are up there facing the building on the top of the cliffs. It is way bigger than i imagined. Don't be bored to climp higher to get a better view and of course a better photo to have for a lifetime!!!

Date of experience: November 2019