“Great Quality for Low Price”
Review of Valentine Inn

Valentine Inn
Atlanta, GA
“Great Quality for Low Price”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Our stay at the Valentine Inn was great despite the reviews we had read before coming here. The staff was very hospitable and they consistently made sure that we had what we needed. The location is about a 20 minute walk to the Petra entrance but they offer free shuttles in the morning and evening. The buffet dinner at night is top-notch and very affordable (only 4 dinar). They are just good, plain and simple!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Budapest
Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is the place which seems to be cheap, but except for the beds, they are trying to rip you off. Even with an USA/European wallet, you can take the prices, the boss is such has a smile which talks to your money. You know that.

They have an offer for Petra visitors, called Lunch-Box. Do not take it. Get to a nearby store (3mins of walking) and buy the same stuff for cheap.

The dinner is indeed wonderful. It costed 4 JOD and it was just great.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelzoli

Travelers are raving about these Petra - Wadi Musa hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Real backpackers hostel.
Wifi free
Great buffet diner! Not a buffet with 5 choices, no, a real big buffet with about 30 plates to choose from. During dinner it is very easy to get in contact with the other guests as you have a common subject to talk about: Petra.

If you are staying in one of the rooms make sure to ask the staff to clean the room when you are leaving for the day, otherwise they won’t make the room and change towels.

Try to avoid the rooms that are adjacent to the public area, like our room 201. You’ll be woken up at 07:00 or earlier as the buses are leaving then for Petra and the other destinations reachable from this hostel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
World Traveller
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The reason you go to Wadi Musa is to visit Petra. It is THE must see in Jordan, so when in this country, you will find yourself in this town.

Over the years, Lonely Planet has had very mixed things to say about the Valentine Inn. However, one of the other travellers on our bus to Wadi was staying here so we checked it out. It was much better than the other places in town we looked at... and in fact a few others from our bus checked out other backpackers then ended up here as well. So at least in 2009 they seemed to be the place to be.

Our room was a bit cramped but okay (and for some reason had pink walls) with a double bed, two nightstands, and a desk with a chair. There was an open sink area and then a shower room with the standard shower over the toilet. It was all very clean and smelled fresh.

The room had warm blankets which were needed in April and they even turned on the central heating for a few hours each night. We had a small window that gave us a great sunset view.

The room seemed secure and we had no hassels at all.

They had one computer with internet in the lobby. No wi-fi. They did charge to use the computer, but only about half the time.

They claimed to have free transport to Petra... but the leaving time was unreliable and we waited an hour past the time they told us they would pick us up. I then finally got the police to call them to send a car, they claimed to have been by three times and no one was there (liars). But that was a pretty minor thing, and on our second day in Petra we simply negotiated a taxi for 1 JDinar to take us home (about US 1.50).

The best thing about this place was its nightly meals. For JD 4 or US$ 6 they put on a huge spread of food. Something like 30 items. Most were tastey and there was plenty to choose from for vegetarians. You do need to book in by mid-day for this as it is very popular. And if you want a beer with your meal, no problem. The Valentine Inn is also the beer shop for the town so if you want a drink you come here. Even with that, there was never a "party" night that kept us from sleeping. Most people seemed more interested in the nightly viewing of Indiana Jones (the one filmed at Petra).

Although their dinners were good, do not bother with their package lunches. It is better to get here the day before you are going to Petra. Then walk around town and get your own ingredients. There is a great fruit and veg market inside the warehouse looking building at the bus station. There is also a fabulous bakery down from the round-a-bout on the road to Petra. It actually drops bread from heaven... AMEN.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Had been recommended Valentine by a friend who raved about this place. Good location and loved the view. However, didn't book ahead and this could have been why me and 3 friends were put in the top room with a heater that didn't produce any heat. Freezing!! Ended up staying 1 night instead of the 3 planned.

On a positive note, did enjoy the 4 JD buffet dinner. Excellent value.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovewales
GTA, ONTARIO, CANADA
Reviewed March 18, 2009

After a long journey from Canada in which numerous Jordanians helped me out, showing me courtesy, respect, friendliness, and outright hospitality, I was not surprised to receive more of the same at this hostel.

Staff was extremely friendly, social, helpful and knowledgeable. They set me up in a cozy (small) room which was good enough for a single guy, with a clean, though lack-lustre bathroom. The shower worked and that was all I cared about. I promptly fell asleep on a comfy bed as I was exhausted. I was surprised when they woke me up at dinner as I had not requested it. they explained that they thought I would have fallen asleep and missed out. They were right!

The dinner buffet was larger than anything I'd seen, it was tasty like you would not believe! Plenty of veggie fare (almost convincing me to make the switch), and lots of meat dishes as well. The dinner atmosphere was really nice as they'd gone to extra lengths to introduce us and even joined us and chatted. We ate outdoors as the sun fell on the mountains behind us, giving a stunning view. This dinner was worth the stay alone! After dinner, we all lingered and played boardgames and chatted. There was free internet, though only one computer.

I paid very little $15 US but it included pick-up/drop-off to Petra which could have been walked in a pinch (but was most welcome after a day of walking). I also got help planning the rest of my stay from the desk staff. In fact, the manager even hooked me up with a private, solo, tour into Wadi Rum in a jeep! It cost me extra but was only marginally more than doing the trip there and camping etc. But it meant a lot to me as I was on a very tight schedule and it was then or never. The driver even stopped by the Prince's palace to see if we could pop in for tea! he wasn't there so we ended up having some roadside with bedoiun.

Stay here, you won't regret it.

Only downside: it wasn't the Hilton...

• Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank mellofellow
WASHINGTON
Reviewed March 17, 2009

One thing I remember the most about this place is the dinner buffet. It was so fabulouse. Many kinds of food and I couldn't stop eating. The staff were so polite and funny. I will book again next year here. So, for you all, be there and you will find a cozy place and nice people there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends