“Very friendly staff and a magnificent view”
Review of Valentine Inn

Valentine Inn
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very friendly staff and a magnificent view”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We arrived at Petra by bus from Amman and it was an easy bus ride of 4 hours, we had a reservation somewhere else and the shuttle service of Valentie Inn approached us and takes us in to come and stay with them.
Its a very simple hotel with amazing view. The shuttle service is actually what made us stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in valentin inn only 1 night.

I did not have a very good impression of the guest house receptionist and the shuttle arrangment.

I stay there because i knew the dorm is 5.5jd, its a super attractive price for a solo traveller in jordan; but if u wanna eat there - dorm+breakfast+dinner is 13jd, if u wanna join the petra by night is 12jd for the ticket, so total will be 25jd/pax which is fine, but the thing is i wasnt sure i will buy the petra night ticket from the guest house or the entrance, after a few push but i still not buying the ticket, instantly the receptionist change her face and became a bit mad and said that i couldnt take the free shuttle at night bla bla bla... After awhile, some of their staffs keep brothering me about the ticket thing, trying to 'explain' me the price are the same or so on... But the thing is i dont feel comfotable to buy the ticket from them so i havnt get it! So if u are staying there, please make sure u buy the ticket from the guest house or you fix it by yourself.

The place is okay with a good view in the up hill to enjoy sun set; but the location is a bit far from the town. After whole day walk in petra, u wouldnt want to walk down to the hill to search for food, so you have to join the dinner there becos of its no another choice.

About the free transportation, only at 7am & 8am from the guest house to petra and 4pm & 5pm pack up back to the guest house. If u missed the free shuttle, u have to pay 2.5 jd for the taxi. So why not stay in other dorm which is closed to the town?

Just a friendly review for u guys.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank angello429

Travelers are raving about these Petra - Wadi Musa hotels

Troy, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2014

1. I booked the cheapest dorm(4 JD), was pretty good value.
2. I did not really like the buffet dinner. You are better off eating at one of the restaurants at the round about. And lunch was really really inadequate. Makes sense spending a little more somewhere else.
3. What I liked was that you get picked up for free, you get driven to Petra for free(even Petra by night). But if you miss the shuttle, or if you want to go early, this place has no advantages for you.
So, not a bad place at all, fairly cheap, good views over the town, but if you have a more money, do go somewhere else, or atleast eat somewhere else.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ashwinbahulkar
Hawkhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I enjoyed staying here, and I think it is a good option for people wanting to keep the cost down for visiting Petra. Which gets very expensive, from the food - the entrance ticket etc. Of course as any option at the lower end of the scale it is not perfect, but there was nothing I experienced which I could not put to one side.
I stayed in the dorm, and I did sleep well (possibly because I was so tired from all the walking) and the sheets were clean which was nice! There could have been an extra blanket, so I think if you are travelling with your own sleeping bag it wouldn't hurt, especially as it can get really cold in Petra in winter.
I enjoyed the music in the evening, and the friendly atmosphere. It was also a great place to connect with other travellers, something I value as a solo traveller. Sometimes it is good to meet up with other and share taxi's, tours etc to keep some cost down!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

The service was bad and the host couple were dishonest. We did not enjoy our stay here. The bathroom flooded every time we used shower and it was very small. Hot water was NOT 24hours and to use the Internet you have to sit in the cold or in the heavily smoke filled indoor lobby.

It was very noisey at night. There are rooms in a form for 5.5dinas but we were told that wasn't true and charged 32dina for a twin.

The food is plentiful but poor quality. Cold leftovers of potato cut chips drenched in tomato sauce is one of the dishes. To their credit they did have a few nice salads, but overall the food is nothing to be excited for and you will find better in town.

We

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rachael4101
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I booked this hotel for three main reasons: it was cheap, it had good comments on TripAdvisor and because it offers a free shuttle to Petra’s main gate. We travelled from Amman to Wadi Musa and the hotel’s free shuttle bus picked us up at the bus stop, letting us save a couple of dinars. The hotel has a very good location, just a couple of steps from the town’s main roundabout where you can find many restaurants and stores. It also has a beautiful view of the town, because it’s sort of located on the side of a hill. The hotel provides a simple but filling breakfast for 2.5 JD (one boiled egg, yogurt, slices of tomato and cucumber, tea or coffee and local bread). They also sell a box lunch for the same price (2.5 JD). Dinner is a bit more expensive; it costs 5 JD and consists of a small buffet with several options, including vegetarian plates. It is always served at 19:00 hrs. They have 1.5-liter bottles of water for 0.50 JD (if you want to save money in Petra, buy the bottle of water at the hotel and not at the archaeological site). Hot water is available in the rooms from 05:00 to 08:00 hrs, and from 17:00 to 20:00 hrs. The room we got had a nice view of the town, it was medium sized and had a fan, a small closet, private bathroom and a dressing table. Even though the room was carpeted I didn’t perceive a moldy or dusty smell. The hostel is nicely decorated, with several tapestries and carpets hanging from the walls, and there is a small room next to the front desk with a TV and DVD movies.

The bad:

- The only bad thing about its location is that you have to walk up a steep road to get from the town’s center to the hotel, although it really only takes about 7 minutes.

- Before booking the hotel, we sent an email to the owner asking if the rooms had good WiFi, since we work a couple of hours each day and it is very important to us. He answered our email and said that we shouldn’t worry, that he would book a good room for us. When we made our reservation, we asked again for a room near the WiFi router to have a strong signal. On our day of arrival we were given a room on the third floor, far from the router and with a TERRIBLE internet connection. Several times we had to go down to the front desk to get some work done, and not even there did the WiFi work decently. It kept on cutting out (every few minutes) and we battled everyday with it. If you rely on WiFi, do not book this hotel.

- When we arrived, we were told that we should also buy dinner at the hotel because we wouldn’t find anything cheaper in the downtown area. We are budget travelers, so we didn’t want to spend 5 JD per person each night on a buffet dinner. We had dinner at the hostel our first night, but the rest of our stay we had dinner (and lunch) at a good restaurant called Al-Arabi near the roundabout with cheaper prices. I didn’t like the fact that even though the hostel caters to low-budget travellers, the staff doesn’t recommend cheap eateries in the area and will lie to get you to buy your dinners at their place. If their buffet cost a bit less (around 3.5 JD) I would recommend it, but for 5 JD I find it too expensive. By the way, Al-Arabi is a very clean place with friendly staff and low prices (hummus is 1.5, shawarma is 1.5 JD and an order of French fries also 1.5 JD).

- Smoking is permitted inside the hostel and many people (locals) gather at the front desk area at nighttime to chat and smoke. The whole place smells like cigarette smoke at these times, and even though our room was on the third level, several times we had to put a towel at the bottom of the door to prevent the awful smell from coming in. Smoking should be banned indoors, because there are tourists, such as my wife, that have asthma and cannot deal with spaces like these. This seems to be a common issue all over Jordan.

- I’m sorry to say that I did not find the staff to be friendly at all. I am surprised to see that many people have written good comments about them. I never got a smile from them, I was never asked if they could help me with anything and never felt hospitality. Maybe if we had decided to buy our dinners with them, they would have had a different attitude towards us.

- The shuttle is not punctual at all. It is supposed to leave at 07:00 and 08:00 each morning for the archaeological site, but one day it left at 07:30 and the next day at 07:20. The time seems minimal, but if you want to beat the crowds in Petra, those few minutes are precious time. The return journey from Petra is supposed to be at 16:00 and 17:00 hrs. We were waiting for the 16:00 hrs shuttle to the hotel, but it didn’t show up until 16:15 hrs.

All in all, if you are looking for a budget and informal place near Petra, than this hotel is a good option, but you must take into account that they are far from being a serious tourist establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel A
Swieqi, Malta
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Valentine Inn was the perfect base to visit Petra from. They offer a shuttle bus to the entrance but its a 20min walk down if you're up for it. They make a great buffet dinner and breakfast for an extra 7.5JD. You can also get busses to Aqaba, Wadi Rum and Amman, pick you up right outside the hostel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends