“Beautiful hotel but in serious need of updating”

Taybet Zaman Hotel and Resort
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel but in serious need of updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed there while visiting Petra, and we were very excited about it after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. The hotel is in an old village in a very beautiful location, although a good 20 minutes drive from Petra ruins and impossible to get to if you don't have a car... The rooms, in stone houses, are clean and big.
However, we were quite disappointed, as the hotel was a bit dead. There was not many people and the facilities were very tired, it was like being in a ghost town... We could feel the former glory of the hotel, and there are framed amazing reviews at reception which date back from the 90s, but it is now in serious need of updating! I think this was a Sofitel hotel at some point, but this is no longer the case...
The bathroom was in need of renovation and the swimming pool area (bar, gym, etc) , with broken umbrellas, dirty pool, closed. The food at the restaurant is not great either.
One man at reception was very helpful and gave us some great tips and advice about the rest of our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was impressed with the hotel decor and the presentation of their rooms, indeed, it was an unique and different experience for my husband and myself. The rooms were big and spacious. The rooms had a good space of sofas that allowed us to chill. The service was impressive, my room had a pipe that was leaking, upon calling the room service, the leaking pipe was fixed and the toilet was cleaned up to spick and span. The bed was big and extremely comfortable. The breakfast spread in the restaurant, Shatain had a good spread of pastries and dips. Although i found the pastries too dry.
In terms of location, Taybet Zaman is further away from Petra gate, tucked away in a nice cosy corner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Where to begin?
-Getting deathly sick, after partaking in their food & beverage service- is one item.
-Having their security guard demand a 5 Dinar tip- for showing me the way to a local convenience store.
-My first night, @10:30PM- the staff barging in my room with 4security officers; demanding to search my room... Followed by a meticulous inspection of all my belongings.
- Sullen & odiferous maids, failing to thoroughly clean the bathroom. Full of tiny ants.
- Giving away my room to a new reservation, despite my being physically incapacitated with illness & begging for an extention.
- A shame the splendid setting was largely ruined by the poor customer service.
- Visually rustic & charming; built on the skeleton of an ancient local stone village.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank xerophytic

Travelers are raving about these Petra - Wadi Musa hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

My family and i stayed in this hotel while we visited the "pink city" PETRA!

the hotel is so pretty!! it is architecture mimics a Bedouin village and blends beautifully with the landscape and views.
It is truly a magical hotel, the staff is super friendly, the restaurant is ok, but full of traditional local food.
I do have to say that the beds are not super comfortable and our AC did not cool as much. I usually would hate a hotel that did not have amazing beds or an AC that cooled as the arctic but this time i did not care at all.
Even thou the hotel is a bit far, the whole experience was amazing, i really do recommend this hotel! It gives great photograph opportunities and i cannot express how gorgeous and magical the place is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed with a family of 5 for two nights at the Taybet Zamman, be aware that this is a few kilometers from Petra, so you need your own car or a taxi ride.

We stayed two nights and the Hotel setting is absolutely stunning, the moment we walked in, after our long day driving the King's Highway and many stopovers on the way, we loved it and felt relaxed. Not only the views of the valley are great, but the village style of the Hotel is amazing, almost takes you back to another era, specially after you stopped in Dana which is very similar village.

The rooms are very well done, very spacious, specially those with double bed and they are very comfortable. Breakfast and Dinner were both excellent. Service in general was very good. The pool has an excellent setting, very relaxing after a long day at Petra, although I must say the water was a bit too cold.

We also wanted to see Petra starting at 6:30, so we would miss breakfast the first day and they prepared very good and well packaged breakfast/lunch boxes for us.

Unless you want to be right at the door of Petra, if you want to experience a very good quality hotel in a pretty unique setting I definitely would recommend the Taybet Zamman.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We staid at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of April, as part of our short tour of Jordan.
As other reviewers have observed, there are no hotels in Petra itself, you can stay right outside (probably paying a lot more), or about 10 minutes' drive away.

This hotel used to be a Jordanian village and it's certainly kept all its original atmosphere, with narrow stone alleyways and dinky little doors. It's situated on a hill, on the edge of a pretty spectacular valley.

We were there as a rather big group and everybody's room was a little different, all very spacious and with a lot of charme, plenty of space, spacious bathroom with wonderful toiletries, and charming piece of furniture.

The restaurant was in what looked like a system of interconnected stone caves (sorry for the bizarre description), the ambience was amazing and the food delicious, by far the best we had in Jordan! I agree with a previous reviewer, the Umm Ali was to die for. A travel companion who'd visited other countries in the Middle East said that was the best she ever tasted.
Plenty of variety for meat, fish, and vegetarians, with lots of fresh food for salads and great hoummus. Great desserts too!

Overall, one of the best hotels I've ever staid at. If you like copycat big American chains that all look the same this won't be for you, but if you want to stay somewhere a little bit special and that really feels well integrated in the country you're in, I would definitely recommend this.
Should I go back to Petra (and I definitely hope I will), this is where I'll be staying!

Room Tip: No 2 rooms are the same, so it's difficult to say. I visited quite a few and loved them all.