“Good hotel, great location”
Review of Petra Palace Hotel

Petra Palace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed March 24, 2009

This has to be one of the best choices for Petra. Even as a single traveller I had a comfortable, spacious and well lit room - newly refurbished. The hotel is well located, under 5 minutes from the entrance to Petra and right next door to a minimarket. Several other minimarkets, souvenirs shops and restaurants are within seconds of the hotel. The pool looked inviting, but with Petra close by I never had time to try it.
Breakfast was good though unexciting.

On the downside the room was a bit hard to find and a good walk from reception. Also there are only 6 safety deposit boxes in the entire hotel.

Be warned that as of March 2009 there was still a lot of refurbishment work ongoing, but it never caused me the slightest disturbance despite being very close to it. Visitors the previous week reported a very different story.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank LoneBrit
There are newer reviews for Petra Palace Hotel

Reviewed March 17, 2009

We were very disappointed when we travelled half way around the world only to find that the Petra Palace did not follow through on our reservations; forcing us to scramble to find another room.
Not very courteous about it, either.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeccaT2
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Always staying at lower end accomodation choices, I very rarely feel the need to write critical reports about hotels as I know you get what you pay for, and sometimes are pleasantly surprised. But this place was terrible. Over 40 degree celcius heat in the Jordainian summer and our air conditioner did not work. 3 times we had someone 'repair it', but it continued to blow hot air. Our requests to be put in another room were met with disdain. We asked is the hotel full, the answer was, "NO, BUT WE HAVE FIXED YOUR AIRCONDITIONER SO WE DONT HAVE TO MOVE YOU"...

The second night I spent sitting in the lobby practically all night and early morning, and when I finally went back to the bedroom at about 3am, I had a cold shower and lay dripping wet on the mattress making sure it soaked through... It was full of my sweat from the previous night anyway.
Disgusting service, even for Jordanian low standards... Go uptown and pay the cheap taxi fare to Petra

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cbead
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I was very pleased with the wonderful hospitality I received as a guest at Petra Palace. Aside from the convenience of being very close to the entrance to Petra, the hotel itself was very comfortable, and the staff was very accomodating. The best part about this hotel is the restaurant! The breakfast buffet was outstanding, Many delicious Jordanian delicacies to chose from, including a mouth-watering array of fresh fruit from the Jordan Valley. The dinners were phenomenal. I enjoyed an exquisite fried chicken dish that was one of the best I've ever tasted! I think the chef here must be world class! The waiters were extremely friendly. Essa , Mohammed , and all the others went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. They showed a keen interest in everything I saw, and even taught me new Arabic words each day. They were awesome hosts.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank camelsong
Reviewed January 6, 2009

This Hotel has a great location just few hundreds meters away from Petra main entrance.........
The rest is terrible.
I have stayed on the new wing and it was dirty and unsafe.
I do not understand how you can run and promote an Hotel in such a condition.
The room...even do they are selling it as new.....it is already old and dirty.
Breakfast, can you call it breakfast??? No selection of food....poor quality of food and hot drinks.

.......never again, few meters away there is the stunning Movenpick Hotel.....

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank cla75
Reviewed December 22, 2008

This hotel was okay, a taxi driver dropped me on their doorstep after my other booking fell through in March 2008, and they accommodated me. The bedroom was okay, except for the fact that it was on the ground floor next to the pool, which was not functional at the time, so I had to keep the curtains closed all the time so people couldn't see what I was doing in my bedroom, without benefiting from the poolside location. I didn't notice any lack of cleanliness, and I thought the breakfast was okay, although it was horrible sitting in the restaurant by myself as a single woman as every single other guest seemed to be a member of a tour group. Neither good nor bad.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank dizzygirl123
Reviewed December 14, 2008

I stayed at the Petra Palace as part of a package tour. The location is excellent close to the site of Petra as well as shops and restaurants. It is large and very comfortable though the furnishings are rather careworn. I had a large room with not only a double bed but a 3 seater sofa which was useful after an exhausting tour of Petra. The buffet breakfast was fine and, as a tea drinker, I appreciated the urn of tea. I am surprised at the comments of other reviewers as I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: December 2007