“Good location”

Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

There is no doubt this hotel has the best location in Petra for visiting the ancient village. If you're lucky you will be given rooms in the main block with views of the amazing mountain formations. We were on the other side which was OK but not quite so nice. The rooms are average size and a bit tired including the TV! Despite this the room was comfortable and clean. We were in the 'package tour' restaurant with crammed seating. The food was very good but the staff and service were only average. Although the main town is over a kilometre away there are some shops and services nearby and the main gate to Petra itself is within easy walking distance. This is important as you don't need to use the coach/car to get to the gate and after a walk of many kilometeres the convenience is welcome. The outdoor swimming pool is quite nice and heated well. The only hotel lift is quite ancient and may give you a few unplanned trips! Although the food is good, the wine is quite pricey for a 4 star hotel.

In summary this hotel is comfortable and convenient which is really all that matters for a great day or more visit to the amazing Petra. I would, however, not recommend the Petra by Night experience. It is just not worth the distance to see it and was very disappointing

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaiBell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Ottawa
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The hotel has a great location right next to Petra, however the rest is just normal. The small pool is nice for a quick dip after a long day at Perta, but the terrace is too plain. The morning buffet is well stocked. We had the rest of the meals in the nearby town. The rooms are small and poorly furnished. The internet was pricy. We had an uneasy feeling that the male staff disapproved on me and my girlfriend, an unmarried western couple staying together, although this might just be a false impression on our part. The gym is not a gym, just an old threadmill in a cave.
Overall, awesome location, but not much else...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
washinton
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza for one night. The safes are very small and not user friendly. I left the room for about 30 minutes the morning we left. I left my carry on bag in the room, and had tucked my small purse down the side, and put my jacket over the top of the bag. When I returned there were two housekeeping staff leaving the area of my room. When I went inside the room to get my bag, I noticed that my purse was out of the carry on and unzipped. I immediately counted my money and found that $60.00 was missing. I know that I should have taken my purse with me. Just didn't think about it. We immediately reported this to hotel manager. We were told that they would take a reading out the door to see who had entered. After our tour into Petra we went back to the hotel with our tour guide. They had the door reading. It was obvious that they had deleted information, which they denied. While deleteing the information about which employee entered our room, they deleted all of the times when my husband and I had entered the room that morning. If you are staying here, keep all of your personel items with you. Please don't make the same mistake that I did.

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank pajaropajaro
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Stayed at the Petra Guesthouse run by Crowne Plaza in Wadi Musa. Appears to be popular with tour groups and is perfectly located at the entrance to Petra. Recommend staying here but would be more positive with better service.

The property is great and looks to be recently renovated with very clean rooms and a very good bathrooms by the standards I've experienced on two previous visits to Wadi Musa. The hotel is great value in Wadi Musa which is generally too expensive.

Breakfast buffet is good but dinner wasn't served one night which seemed a bit odd but it looked like there was no tour group staying that night and guests can go up to the main hotel restaurants - recommend eating in town.

Service isn't as good as other hotels in Wadi Musa and service at the adjoining bar is not great - long wait for drinks and bill when very few customers around.

Overall this is a great property - recommend it highly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank citisurfer
Dubai
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Pretty basic for a 4* hotel; I expected a little better. The shower wasn't great but it did the job. It is very close to the entrance gate to Petra (which, after 4 hours of walking, was very welcome). Breakfast was adequate. Convenient base from which to explore Petra but if you want a touch of luxury, you won't find it here.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank HolidayWell
altfineart
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Originally we were to stay at the Guest House which is even closer to the entrance but some dignataries were visiting and took over the hotel so we were transferred to the Crowne Plaza which is right next door. Excellent location, rooms, service and food.

Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank altfineart
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We recently returned from a stay at Crowne Plaza Petra February 18-20. The air conditioning in our room did not work. It was much hotter in the room than outside. When I called to reception to let them know, the person at the reception said he would send a colleague. No surprise, no one ever showed up. We couldn't open the windows or door due to the mosquitoes (and there were holes in the screens, at any rate). The showerhead in our room sent water shooting in a 360 degree arc, making it impossible to actually take a shower and resulting in a lake on the bathroom floor. From the stains on the floor this has been going on a long time. On our last day in the room, I had stomach upset. We called to the front desk to check when breakfast would stop being served. They said 11AM. At 1015AM, we went to the breakfast room and of course, breakfast was already done, despite the breakfast hours posted on the wall (11AM). Last but not least, the one time we did manage to get to breakfast (a buffet), we were seated at a table with dirty uncleared breakfast dishes, and the hash browns were FROZEN in the center (which did not speak well to the bacteriologic state of the other "hot" food.) The only reason they get two stars and not one is because of the location near the entrance of Petra. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Movenpick.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple