“B&B for backpackers”

Rocky Mountain Hotel
Moscow, Russia
“B&B for backpackers”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

First of all let's remember that we are speaking not about the hotel but about B&B. And this B&B is not expensive at all. By my own experience the hotels in Wadi Musa are approximately 1.5 times more expensive comparing to Amman so I would even treat this B&B as cheap one. So if you're on tight budget than this place is probably suits you.

Just imagine that you'll have:
1) Great hospitality of the staff. The host is always ready to help you with advice if you're green novice and/or you're first time in Wadi Musa.
2) Cleanliness in the rooms and in the property.
3) Nice view from your room if you lucky enough to get one of the three rooms with the view
4) Free wireless internet in the lobby.
5) Tea provided in the lobby free of charge all day long.
Isn't that great?

Then imagine that you'll have also:
1) Nice terrace to seat and look over the valley like you might see on the hotel photos. Oops, sorry, the terrace is under deep construction now.
2) Chinks in window frames which helps to lower in-room temperature to the outer values. This is especially useful when it is about 7 degrees Celcius outside. The owner provides heaters but in winter season only. April is not winter for sure so no heater. Oh, also there is air conditioning system with heat capability but... You guessed already - it works only in summer.
3) Partial water availability - water is promised on evenings and mornings. But in reality it is not obvious that you'll have it when promised. Furthermore don't think we're speaking about hot water - we're speaking about cold water as well. Oh God, this was the only place in my life I stayed in where I had to preserve some water to be sure I'll able to brush my teeth next morning!
4) Good placement of the toilet in your bathroom - it is placed just in the middle of the room so you have a choice which side to take when you want to go to the shower which is right behind it. Also the toilet seat is not firmly secured so prepare to use all your acrobatic skills while using it.

I think it's enough to decide is this hotel for you or not.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tabaki2010
rockymountainhotel, Owner at Rocky Mountain Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Have to respond to this, as we work hard to ensure our guests are comfortable.

1. The photos are actually taken from the two communal front balconies that are open (and are still open) for anyone to sit on. The rooftop terrace is currently being transformed into a restaurant because without a roof and sides it is too cold, too windy, too hot etc.

2.There is hot water from 5pm-9.30pm at night, and from 6am-9.30am in the morning.

3. There is a water shortage in Jordan - at the moment the government water supply in Wadi Musa runs water every two days. On a couple of occasions the government water has hardly run at all (very weak pressure) so it has left us short . If this happens we bring in a water tanker. Needless to say, we do our best to ensure that the general water shortage does not affect out guests.

3. The heaters and a/c in the rooms run all year round - but the master switch is in the lobby. The room information booklet (one in each room) explains that guests need to have the master switch for their room turned on if they require their heater or a/c (which they can then control with a remote control).

4. Yes, the toilets in some bathrooms are badly placed but we cannot remodel bathrooms until we have finished the restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I loved my stay at Rocky Mountain. The staff were all so helpful & friendly. The hotel is clean, comfortable and in a good location to reach Petra, I would definately recommend. Anythin you are unsure of about your time in Petra the staff area always willing to help. :)))

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Great budget hotel. We'd booked 2 side by side rooms double/triple for 2 adults/3children. When we arrived the owner explained they were having plumbing issues with one of the rooms, so she'd put the 5 of us in one large room. It would have been nice to have the extra space and 2nd bathroom, but she reduced the price so that helped!

This was our 11yo's favourite hotel as she loved the shiny bedspreads and colourful wallpaper!

The owner went out of her way to be helpful to us. I had a pair of shorts I really needed to dry overnight after handwashing them, she took them for me and hung them out for me to be able to wear again the next day. The hotel also will deliver your washing to the only laundry place in town, if you give it to them by 9am it was back by the end of the day (usual cost per item applies), which was very helpful.

It's a 15min walk downhill into Wadi Musa for dinner, another 10mins further on to entrance to Petra. We caught a taxi back up the hill. WiFi is good and free in reception area, signal reaches some of the rooms (incl. ours) which was very handy. I also appreciated a communal hairdryer that was available to borrow from reception. Very nice breakfast with individually made omelette included.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed in the Rocky Mountain Hotel for 2 nights in February 2012. We both had single ensuite rooms which were spacious, very clean, warm and comfortable. My room on the ground floor also had fast broadband and both rooms had sattelite Tv's. Hot water was always available, and free tea and coffee 24/7.

Atef, one of the proprietors was extremely hospitable and helpful, even producing a hairdryer when I appeared in reception after a shower with wet hair! The breakfast was fine, as much bread, salads, jams and beverages as you want, included in the room price, which really set us up for the day's tour of Petra!

Jane and Atef also own the Seven Wonders Bedouin Camp, about 5 KM outside Wadi Mussa, close to Little Petra, and my friend and I spent a hugely enjoyable evening drinking spiced Bedouin tea, smoking shisha while listening to a musician playing the oud, singing, dancing, lounging on comfortable traditional cushions and chatting to other guests at the camp. Atef and his cousin have installed lights all over the cliffs surrounding the camp, giving the place a magical atmosphere. The international group of camp guests all gave the Seven Wonders 10 out of 10 for comfort, cleanliness, hygiene and hospitality!

I would reccommend the Rocky Mountain Hotel as a lovely, safe, clean and great value for money place to stay. Although a little far from the site of Petra, they run a shuttle to and from the city, only takes about 10 minutes to get there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Washington State
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Before you read the critical elements of this review, realize that I liked my stay at Rocky Mountain enough that I would stay there again if I went back to Wadi Musa. Atef is a charismatic and tireless host and his presence alone makes the hotel a compelling place to stay.

That said, realize that this is a very modest hotel; one star at best. The rooms are small, beds hard, bathrooms are pretty funky (see picture). We were there during a cold snap and it took two days before our room was actually not uncomfortably cold (the heaters turn off when you not in the room). The hallways are cold. Breakfast was OK, but selection is very small. Having tea available all the time was very nice.

They do offer free transportation to the Petra entrance, but the car they use sometimes had a hard time starting and had seen better days.

The price is dirt cheap and the folks who work there are very helpful. I felt safe there at all times. If you have a bit of an adventurous spirit and don’t mind very modest surroundings, you would like the place. Just remember, as someone else said, its more backpacker’s hostel than hotel. It was OK for me, my wife would have hated it.

One final note: I did have them arrange for transportation from Wadi Musa to Aqaba, with a stop for a 4 hour jeep ride in Wadi Rum. I specifically told them I wanted the trip to start from Wadi Rum, not Disseh, and was told the trip would be “in the Wadi Rum protected area and not Dhissa”.

We, as we drove to Wadi Rum we passed by the road for the visitor’s center and headed to Disseh. We were deposited at a very run down camp and waited until the worst looking truck of all the trucks in the Wadi showed up for our tour. The truck was so bad, at times the driver had to pound on the hood while turning to key to get it started.

I don’t know what we missed, but it was obvious that the driver stayed away from the area around the visitor’s center. Major disappointment! If you use the hotel to take you to Wadi Rum, I would suggest you have them take you to the visitor’s center and arrange for your own tour.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PastorAl S
rockymountainhotel, Owner at Rocky Mountain Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
First of all, I am glad that you would come back and stay with us again. Why I am responding is because I would like Trip Advisor readers to understand what we are: we are a small, budget, family run bed and breakfast. We are very non-corporate and have no claim to be a 1 or 2 star hotel. We do not have a new vehicle fleet for providing a shuttle service - but the main thing is we DO provide a shuttle service (and I love my old mercedes - its got character!). Yes, some of the bedrooms and bathrooms are on the smaller side - but we work hard to keep them clean and fresh. We also have free wifi in the lobby AND a free computer for guests that don't have their own devices. Tea and coffee is also provided free of charge 24hrs. We do provide heaters (and a/c in summer) but I admit the unusually cold nights (minus 4) have been challenging! Breakfast is a traditional family breakfast - cucumbers,tomatoes, lebaneh ,hommous, cooked eggs,cheese, bowls of olive oil and zaarta, jam and bread . Not a HUGE selection but can keep you going all day (we don't limit how much you can have). Finally, we are sorry to hear about the jeep trip - normally the tours will go all over the Wadi Rum area so have no idea why this happened - we are looking into it as I agree it is unacceptable. Regards Jane.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights and had a rather pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room and the bathroom were quite small, but thankfully well heated. The hot water was slightly capricious, but it worked in the end. The wifi connection in the reception was very good. Breakfast was good. It is a 10-min walk to restaurants and a delicious sweets shop on the way to the main roundabout. We did not take the shuttle organised by the hotel as we wanted to arrive in Petra as early as possible (highly recommended as we were the only ones there for a while), and it only cost us 2 JOD to get there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clem-John
UK
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stayed one night in September last year, before going to Petra following morning. It was a bit hard to find based on the directions I had, so I was driving around town of Petra for a little while. After I phoned the hotel, managed to find them easily. Parking available right outside.
Stayed in a nice single en-suite room for a very good price. Breakfast was included too.
There is an amazing roof terrace with magnificent views, must have some tea up there.
The lady on the reception is the [joint] owner of the place and was very pleasant and helpful.

Room had all modern cons, including TV and aircon [very important in this region, especially in summer].

From there, it was only a short drive to Petra complex, so very convenient for an early start.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo