“A nice family run hotel”

Petra Bed and Breakfast
blackpool england
“A nice family run hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at the Petra Bed and Breakfast hotel for two nights in January 2013, I had some small misgivings based on a recent Tripadvisor review which stated that the place was a bit cold, by the time I got there the hotels owners had installed a large wall heater which, in the event was not needed as the weather had improved. I was also supplied with more blankets to ensure that my bed was snug and warm.
The hotel was purpose built to the owners design with spacious en suite rooms and a large, comfortable communal sitting area with a television and coffee and tea making facilities upstairs. The hotel is situated on a hill which overlooks Wadi Musa and the views are great - especially in the morning.
Patricia and Eid live downstairs, Patricia keeps a good kitchen and a generous breakfast is served downstairs at hours to suit the guests, within reason of course.
Patricia and Eid were good hosts, providing free transport to and from Petra in Eid's pick up and a lot of useful information on the site and the town of Wadi Musa, they are an immensely likeable couple and I wish them every success in the future.
One small note - I read in the Rough Guide to Jordan that in Wadi Musa the locals are not as welcoming as in other parts of Jordan, my experience there was the opposite of this, as a solo male traveller I got many well meaning "Salaam's" and "Welcomes" from passers by as I walked through the town and quickly formed the opinion that Wadi Musa is a very pleasant place indeed .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

A great place to stay in Petra - a family feel with a warm welcome when you arrive. Patricia was fantastic in providing all the information needed to get from point A to point B. The rooms were clean and spacious and the living area upstairs is very comfortable to relax after a day of touring.
I would recommend it to anyone looking for something different to the usual hotel stays.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Petra BnB in mid-January. From the first time I emailed, Patricia she was very responsive and friendly. She provided maps, directions and different options for reaching Petra. When we arrived she and her husband Eid gave us a warm welcome and helped us settle in. We were interested in taking a cooking class at Petra Kitchen and she called them and made all of the arrangements for us to attend. And Eid dropped us off and picked us back up from the course, after which Eid and Patricia invited us in for tea. We spent a wonderful 1.5 hours chatting and laughing with them which made us feel like we were staying with friends. Unfortunately, we came on a very cold weekend and even with heaters, it was very, very cold in the room. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water for showers and lots of blankets, nevertheless it was still very cold and we were unable to feel warm in the night. However, it was all worth it because after an early breakfast Patricia drove us to the visitor entrance of Petra for a beautiful sunrise scene. We would definitely recommend staying there just not in the very colds days, i.e. January.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PetraBedandBreakfast, Owner at Petra Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for the kind compliments in your review and of course for staying with us. We enjoyed having you here.
About the cold, after a few guests complained about it we installed 2 convection heaters in the room you stayed in and because temperatures at night are indeed cold for Jordan (-4) we additionally put 2 smaller heaters in the room (each 2000 W). On top of that there are 3 thick blankets and 1 comforter on the bed. After you mentioned you were cold, which was hard for me to believe having all those heaters, I went up a couple of days later after my next guests left (they had the same heaters) and I left a thermometer in the room. When I came back to check 30 minutes later the indicated temperature was exactly 23 degrees Celsius ... that's not cold.
I truly hope the next few reviews will confirm my statement here :-)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at this Bed and Breakfast and absolutely love it! I would recommend it to anyone. The upstairs rooms and bathrooms are spotless and the rooms are all nicely decorated. Patricia and Eid are extremely kind and bend over backwards to make sure their guests have a fun and enjoyable stay. The heater takes the chill off the room-and there is no need to run it consistently. As any informed traveller to Jordan should know-central heating is an anomaly. There are ample fluffy blankets on the bed to keep you warm and the heater heats the room up quickly. My room was very quiet and I was very well rested by the end of my stay.Shower pressure was great and I enjoyed many hot showers. Amazing views of Wadi Musa and the Petra mountains and also wonderful food and company make this B and B beyond compare. This is my "must stay" place when in Petra! Thanks so much for a truly memorable stay once again!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

There are a few things that made this place a bad fit for me – no internet service, insufficient heat in the room, and the remote location. I was really surprised that there was no Wifi or internet access. Patricia gave me her own internet stick, but it didn’t work in my computer. She also offered to let me use the computer in their home, but that’s awkward and not a real solution. I ended having to go to another hotel in town and pay to use their Wifi. I was also amazed that the rooms have no built-in heat. Patricia did give me a small portable heater but even with it running all night, the room never got comfortably warm. This was January in Petra, but it’s crazy not to have heated rooms. And the bathroom was freezing in the morning since I’d had to keep the door closed. There was a heating/AC unit in the common room but it never really warmed the room up sufficiently. The exhaust and motor are right outside the entrance to Room #3. Be sure to avoid that room, if the AC or heat are going to be running. The hotel is also not within walking distance to anything, so that means you need to pay for a cab anytime you want to get something to eat or shop or just walk around town. There are a lot of pluses that other people have mentioned. Patricia was very helpful and friendly, and the rooms are clean with great views. She also served a fantastic breakfast. Bottom line…if you don’t need internet, if the outside temperatures are comfortable, and if you have a car, then this is a great option in Petra.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ward l
PetraBedandBreakfast, Owner at Petra Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I’m sorry your stay wasn't what you expected however we did in no way mislead you, we don’t believe in doing business that way. Wifi is not mentioned as one of our amenities so you could have known and if you had asked me in advance I would have told you. I added a small sentence to our website now so that it’s even more clear for future guests. I’m sorry you felt awkward about using the computer in our home, this is what I always offer guests who don’t have their pc with them, nobody has ever told me it was awkward. People always appreciate the fact that they can use it.
About the heating, we know it’s cold in winter this is why we provide the heaters and plenty of warm blankets. Unfortunately houses here are cold and it’s nearly impossible to get them warm when temperatures are this low and I admit the unusually cold nights (minus 4) have been challenging! Energy friendly convection heaters will be put up in the 3 smallest of the 4 rooms today or tomorrow, that will (hopefully) solve the problem.
We know we're not at walking distance from town or from Petra so we gladly take our guests where they want to go. As we do for all our guests without a rental car we picked you up from the bus station and drove you to Petra in the morning. At the time you went into town for dinner our car wasn't here so I called a taxi. Many guests have mentioned the nice and quiet location on TA and they also mentioned having to take a taxi or being driven into town by us so it shouldn't have been a real surprise. It’s hard to have a nice and quiet location with great views and still be in the middle of town ;-)
I am glad to read that you agree with the pluses other guests mentioned about our B&B, I guess as you said it was not the right fit for you.
Patricia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Patricia and her husband couldn't do enough for me on my Petra visit. Hospitality is superb. Patricia would pack me a huge lunch in the morning and drive me to the Petra site entrance at 0700 am to avoid crowds and meet me in evening. Can't say enough good things and will definitely be coming back for a horse riding trip they organise.

• Stayed December 2012
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here in early November & it was wonderful. Good sized room & en-suite, very clean & nicely decorated. Great spot on the hill overlooking the town of Wadi Musa, stunning at night!!
Patricia & Eid could not be more helpful. They gave us a local phone with both their numbers as well as for a taxi. They took us into town for our meals & when we went to Petra as well as picked us up again. Pack up for breakfast was huge, lasted us all day on our 8 hour walk round Petra. Best meal was at Sun City which was one of the resaurants they recommended.
Patricia was really helpful in every aspect, sorting taxi to Wadi Rum as well as our Jeep Tour.
In all honesty, if you dont stay here, your mad !!

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms & a shared area. To get the view over Wadi Musa at night you need room 3...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple