“Cheapest souvenirs shop in town!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petra Guesthouse

Petra Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Cheapest souvenirs shop in town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This hotel is clean, comfortable and fairly priced (compared to others in the zone; n.b. there are NO cheap hotels in Wadi Musa) and besides is the closest to the path that leads to Petra. Staff is friendly and helpful. The best, the in-hotel souvenir store has the cheapest prices in town (which sometimes means paying 300% less than in the tourist traps laid outside) and you can even pay with credit card.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cesare R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in June when we visited Petra, and were so glad we booked with Petra Guest House.

Pros:
The guest house is really quite a nice hotel with nice comfy rooms. It is by far the closest hotel to the entrance of Petra. The gates are literally beyond the car park. Movenpick misleadingly advertises itself as being close to Petra, but actually it is a bit of a walk away. Being the closest hotel meant that if you are in Petra for 2 days or were going back and forth to see the sunrise and sunset over the Treasury, it's really handy to have the hotel close by.

We were given the rooms in the cabins to the side of the hotel with great views over Wadi Musa town and the hills. The rooms have their own terraces and have a great shower and is quite spacious. Even though others had issues, the wifi worked perfectly in our rooms. The AC also was working perfectly. The room wad replenished daily with bottled water and fruits.

The hotel has by far the best bar in town, and a lot of other guests from other hotels come to visit the cave bar. The bar is built out of an old monument and is very cool with rugs and sofa seats inside. You can also smoke shisha at the bar.

Cons (only reason why I have rated it 4 stars):
The main negative thing I can think of was the reception staff seemed a bit out of it. We asked them to book us a steam bath and massage at the local bath house El Yahore, and asked specifically to be picked up at 3pm and we wanted 3 women masseurs as we were a group of girls. After checking lots of times with reception they confirmed they had rang the bath house and it was all booked. On the day, the transport didnt come to pick us up, and we had to keep checking with reception that they had booked transport. When the taxi eventually came and dropped us off to the bath house, we were informed by the manager that our hotel never made a reservation and so no women masseurs were reserved for us and they had only men. It was a bit awkward but we were there already so went ahead with it. I was annoyed that the reception had said they had booked for us several times and reserved women masseurs when it wasn't the case. Apart from this, this was the only negative experience we had with the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Our stay here was booked as part of an organised tour that we did of Jordan. We had an average room and experienced difficulties with the Air Conditioning temperature that was addressed by the staff but gave trouble again the next day. We also had problems with the Wi-Fi in our room. Like one other reviewer, we felt that when we mentioned these issues to the front desk we were 'bothering' them. Our room was down a long passage and at times we felt that the lighting was insufficient - some of the lights were turned off. The Cave bar outside was good and the BBQ at our table for dinner was excellent. In hindsight we should have reduced our stay here by 1 day and had an extra night at the Dead Sea.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Beirut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were a party of 7 of various Nationalities belonging to a multinational company visiting Petra for the day and staying overnight at Petra Guesthouse. It was the last week of May 2014, so, although the weather was getting hot during the day, at night it was cool; therefore, sitting at the outside restaurant having dinner in the evening we need a pullover round our shoulders. The Guesthouse is a hotel at the entrance to the ancient Petra site, therefore perfectly situated for getting into that site and a welcome sight after a long day in Petra. Excellent service at the Guesthouse and at the inside and outside restaurants. Rooms good, clean and with everything needed. Reception smooth. We delibeately chose this place to stay and we were not disappointed in any way. It was the right choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at the Petra Guesthouse during my trip to Jordan in May. It's located right at the entrance to Petra. The staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast was very good. After walking through Petra for 4 hours each day, it was quite a relief to see the hotel right there at the exit. The staff was kind enough to allow us run a bit late with checkout as we got back from our hike from the monestary later than expected and needed to freshen up before we headed out. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

I booked this hotel because of its location close to the Petra Gate. I saw so many reviews saying that if people were to do it over, they would have booked closer to the gate. However, I saw many places that were pretty close or ‘close enough’. I’ll give the pros and cons that I found of this place. I definitely have a love hate relationship here, because the good points were really good, and the bad points were really bad. (for me).

Pros: Quiet, clean, comfortable bed. I really slept incredibly well here which is appreciated because of how strenuous the days are.

Breakfast: It was a wonderful spread of wonderful food which was great.

Wifi: Good connectivity, when you can get/stay connected.

Early Checkin: They allowed me to check in early, which was greatly appreciated.

Concierge guys were very polite and professional.

Cons: Wifi was extremely annoying. They give you a username and password for your device when you check in. The problem is, this is for one device only, so if you log in your phone, you can’t use your computer. It was ridiculously frustrating. Even after having a ‘special ID’ created for my computer, it went dead after the first day, so I have to call back to get something solved again. Also, it keeps going in and out trying to log you out then log you back in. For a place that’s showing ‘Free Wifi’, this is not the type of wifi you want.

When I booked my room, I asked specifically for a double bed, and I got two singles. This is annoying, yet was too tired to bother to change rooms.

Smoking: The room is nonsmoking, however the bathroom smelled of smoke, so much so that the bathroom curtain smelled disgusting, and I didn’t even want to close it because during the shower it smelled like I was in a bar.

Hotel desk personnel seemed ‘bothered’ by questions, or anything dealing with my problems with WIFI, which was not appreciated.

All in all, for the money that you’re paying, the cons should be unacceptable, as for $200 for 2 nights, I was surprised to compare the service and level of quality that I received elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Petra is a beautiful place that’s being ruined by the corrupt business of tourism, where they try to charge you $35USD for sunscreen, to ‘guides’ ripping you off left and right. Overall, I would definitely come to see Petra, but I would get out as fast as I could due to the incessant distrust I felt among everyone trying to take advantage of a single traveler.

Room Tip: A room higher up gives you great views and no noise, but is a hike in itself to get to