“petra stay”
Review of Petra Guesthouse

Petra Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights for our petra part of our tour and I have to say it is a lovely little hotel with a nice bar inside a cave and the rooms were big and comfortable with everything you need and the location is amazing it is right next door to the entrance gate of petra. there is some shops and restaurants a short walk from the hotel entrance which is useful if you like a change from hotel food. All in all a lovely place to stay if your visiting petra

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reeceyb
There are newer reviews for Petra Guesthouse

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Based on the reviews, I was a little concerned when we were booked here for our tour of Jordan. It turned out to be a lovely hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean. When we went for our morning tour of Petra, we came back to made beds and a cleaned bathroom. The dinner and breakfast were ample and flavors were good enough given the price. We had a nice selection of entrees for dinner - vegetarian, fish and meats. There were also some nice salads. Breakfast choices were plentiful - pancakes, omelets, cheeses, a variety of pastries. The location is incredible - right at the entrance of Petra.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank worldtourist77
Reviewed July 18, 2013

You can not stay any closer to the entrance of Petra. Its not uncommon to walk 20km in a day around Petra, so its a relief to stagger straight into your motel room when you are done or (if you're inclined) into the bar when they have cold beer on tap.

The room was nice enough, everything functional, the room/decor perhaps like staying with your Aunty, homely but perhaps not what you'd choose.

The Cave Bar is worth a look, its not everyday you can 'have a quiet one' in a 2000 year old tomb.

Wi-fi is pretty average (and not necessarily included)

(Another Jordanian) very good and comprehensive breakfast buffet. Staff/service all good.

The location is a winner.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I liked this hotel and found the staff quite helpful and courteous, but it could look at it's gender diversity which I am sure will add some additional service quality improvements.
Location - Perfect, for what we wanted, right at the front entrance to Petra and close to the downtown area.
Feel and Comfort - It is a mix between new, ancient and 70's. The reception area, restaurant and above hotel look newish, whereas the outside courtyard with Cave Bar have an ancient ambiance. The hotel rooms built onto the rocks have a design and colour scheme reminiscent of a 70's motel. The rooms in this part were reasonably clean (but could be improved), comfortable and spacious.
Food and Beverage - Nice cold beers, reasonably priced, we did not eat dinner here but breakfast was average, in variety and taste. We really like the Cave Bar in the evening, just sitting and relaxing here as the sun went down was nice.
Check-in and out - This was ok, but I could not book an additional night when I checked in and had to come back in the morning, and then was told I had to move rooms (next to the one we were in). Why I could not have this room in the first place is a mystery and this was a bit inconvenient, and it meant having to pay two separate bills.
Internet - This was free, but only for one device per room, however, the staff got sign in for second device without charge (as it should be).
All in all we enjoyed our stay here for what it cost, which was quite reasonable, so, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights - as arranged by my tour company -in June. Having looked at the website in advance of my trip, I was fairly excited but unfortunately the excitement was short lived. I was a woman traveling on my own. The upgraded room out with the main hotel was meant to be a bonus but I never quite felt safe. Anybody off the street could have walked up to the room in the middle of the night. I could hear footsteps/voices of other hotel guests, which is true when you stay in any hotel, but there were two windows looking onto the pathway and therefore the voices/footsteps were amplified.

Setting aside the security though, the key issue for me was the cleanliness of the bathroom and lack of response from the management. Upon check in, i had noticed that there was sand on my bathroom floor. Fine. No big deal. However, later that evening when I was about to go to bed I thought I'd weigh myself on the bathroom scales (go figure!). As I was about to step on I noticed there were hairs on the scales. Further inspection would show that it was pubic hair. It was late, so I thought I'd report it in the morning and it would be addressed. I did report it in the morning and got the sense that the management played lip service to it. And sure enough, after hiking in Petra for 9 hours, I came back to find that the bathroom had not been cleaned. In fact, my room hadn't been serviced at all. Upon check out, another manager asked me about my stay and I relayed the story to him. He kindly removed my internet charges as a way of apologising but to be honest the damage was already done.

For the above reasons and the fact that the food wasn't that great either, I would recommend staying at the Movenpick. It looked lovely, it had a pool and it was less than 5 mins walk to entrance of Petra.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RunnerJac
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here two nights during our Jordan tour. The service is subpar and the food is terrible. We were offered dinner buffet with our hotel cost and we only ate there once as it wasn't appetizing at all.

There was an issue with understanding internet charges. At first we were told that the internet charge is per room so multiple devices can be connected for one charge. After purchasing the internet for our room, we realized that you must pay per connection (not per room). The manager on duty was nice enough to 'try and help us' but according to him this was the first time he had anyone complain about this issue - ironically, as he was telling us about this, another guest came up with the exact same problem. The solution was to give us one free access until midnight (which meant about 3 hours) and then he would figure out a permanent solution during his management meeting in the morning. We never heard from him again.

The location is nice but not worth the poor service and food quality. I would personally never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stroke_FurryWall
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is literally right next door to petra with some parts of the hotel actually being inside Petra grounds. Staff were all so helpful and couldn't have done more for me! (I lost my phone charger and they made every effort to find me a replacement.) Room was very spacious with all modern amenities and very tastefully decorated. Breakfast offered a large selection to choose from and dinner menu was also very nice and reasonably priced. Arrival drink of lemon and mint didn't look too appetizing but was soooo nice (I'd never tried it before.) From what I gathered this hotel was part of the Crown Plaza group but didn't seem to have the same price tag. Room was very reasonably priced and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Everything was perfect!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo