“Excellent location and fair price”
Review of Sun Set Hotel

Sun Set Hotel
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I ended up here as a taxi driver recommendation (not something I normally give in to, but I was very tired), but remarkably it turned out to be a much better choice than the guidebook-recommended option I had intended to take.

This hotel is clean and no-fuss, with a decent breakfast. Fair value in this rather expensive country. It is excellently situated just a couple of minutes' walk from the entrance to the Petra archaeological area, and that is its trump card: the guidebooks seem to suggest it might be better to stay further up the Wadi Musa, nearer the centre of the modern town, rather than close to the achaeological site.

For anyone who really wants to maximise their time in the ancient site, the guidebooks' advice is poor. There are plenty of restauarants, mini-markets, change places, and internet connections in the immediate couple of hundred yards before the start of the ancient site, so there is absolutely no reason not to stay in this part of town in preference to the upper Wadi Musa.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bielding

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I mentioned " Sun Set" Hotel in my " There is Petra and there are Petra's " review regarding such an undescribeable, take your time - instead of rushing going nowhere let's open one's mind and heart to the .- passionate location in the Jordan deser that Petra, is. More than a touristy destination Petra is also a journey into the human spirit. I was lucky to have stayed at the "Sun Set" Hotel, and have met Bilal, the genial ( tough looking bur hearty to the marrow) owner.

Bilal and the hotel's staff were just great. "Sun Set" Hotel's accomodations are comfy, quite clean, and the bountiful breakfast is great for those who need to start the morning having a lunch of sorts ( but for this one here an apple and tea suffice - keep the breakast in my room or wrapped it up and take it with me to nourish this body-mind while having a break at exploring the quite a few ( demanding ) trails crisscrossing the endless revelations that Petra has to offer - provided that one can walk the walk of course and ignore those guides who mistreat their donkeys and horse - although those about sorrowful practices are being challenged right now by a more conscious approach to treat those working animals with more respect - and care. Still there is work to do about that.

" Sun Set" Hotel's great location and premises are worth to consider while visiting ( or rushing " to do" - sigh...) Petra. For this traveler and wanderlust senior footloosing on a shoe string budget ( as always...) Bilal has been a wonderful help, and here goes to you and to your staff at "Sun Set" Hotel a heartfelt shukran ( thank you) for your kindness, Bilal.

Room Tip: room to the interior - you can a view while waking not necessarily when sleeping...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Manuel F
Reviewed November 14, 2012

stayed at the hotel next door, petra palace hotel - rooms are basic, but great service and staff. thanks lubna for the good tips around petra. petra palace serves good spread for breakfast and dinner (JD12).

as for petra sunset hotel, lubna recommended that i speak to belal for tours/transport. belal arranged wadirum with wild wadi rum, which was decently priced for 2D/1N tour around the desert. breakfast at the desert was a tad disappointing. but overall good tour by hussein and eid. the camp was clean and offers a great view both during sunset and sunrise. the best surprise from belal was the driver from wadi rum to queen alia airport (7hours including stops along the way, the likes of dead sea, mount nebo, ghore fifa, etc.). tawfeeq was great fun, with good knowledge of the route along king's highway. thanks. umk fe al daaar.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cekalitan
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We got a double room with bathroom, really nice breakfast, wi-fi just at the reception and very slow for about US$ 37,50 (25JD). It was clean and tidy. Like always, everybody smokes in the lobby and the TV is always in some arabic channerl, but this is Jordan. The staff is really nice and gave us all the information we needed about Petra and about our next destination. 100 meters from the Petra entrance. Remember if you stay in Wadi Musa (the town where Petra is near) you will have to spend in taxi to go and to return. And believe me you will need a taxi after one day of walking in Petra. This will be US$ 9 (6JD) . The hotel even has a nice lunch box (we pay 4JD) for you to take to Petra since there is only one restaurant there and it is not possible to come back for lunch. Near the hotel there are restaurants at reasonable prices and a market (without prices like always in Jordan). We did not walk till Wadi Musa (the town near) because we were too tired. We bought water from the nearby super.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were the same.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of my trip with Intrepid Travel. I found this hotel to be quite acceptable and convenient. There is lots of restaurants nearby, a small supermarket below the hotel and even a Turkish bath a few mins away.

The room I had was spacious. I found the mattress to be a little hard for my liking but I did have a comfortable sleep especially after walking around Petra all day.

The shower is a standup but there is a good amount of pressure and hot water. Toilet was fine.

Breakfast that is included is basic Egyptian e.g. bread, jam, yogurt, hard boiled egg, cheese, juices.

Wifi is included but I swear management turned it off when our group arrived as all of us were in the lobby uploading pictures and we must have used up all their bandwidth.

Noise is a slight issue as our bed was beside the door and there's not much sound proofing. Ear plugs fixed this problem easily.

The fan in the room is extremely loud even on the lowest setting. Open the windows instead.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I arrived late night and I paid partly (15%) for the room over the booking site already. However I had to pay all 100% for the room when i got there. It was cheap so I did not argue with the person or anything. The guy also tried to sell me a tour guide which I ended up didn't take.

The room was ok. I was there in January so it was quite cold. Not sure they have heater. The breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We wanted to stay at Petra Moon, but of course, it was booked up. We checked out Sunset on the advice of our driver, and were very happy with the value. Jordan is expensive, and Petra itself costs $80 to enter. The Sunset cost about $50/night and was a mere 7 minute walk to the entrance of Petra (believe me after 12 hours a day wandering through Petra, every step back to the hotel can be a challenge!). Being very budget-conscious, Sunset was perfect- conveniently located and reasonably priced for the area. The room had a slightly grungy carpet but was otherwise very clean (see photos).

Other travellers seemed to have no problem with the hotel's in-house travel agency, but they kept us waiting for hours and seemed disorganized enough that we decided just to go down the street. Nevertheless, staff were very friendly and helpful. Wifi was free in the lobby. Breakfast was included and nothing special (but I like boiled eggs and hummus so I was satisfied).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple