“We Expected More”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petra - Wadi Musa
Ammarin Bedouin Camp
San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica
“We Expected More”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We expected more from our stay at Ammarin Bedouin Camp. Instead of having an individual Bedouin tent similar to what we experienced in Qatar, we slept on the ground in a large Bedouin tent that was partitioned into separate sleeping quarters. As a result, you can hear everything within the tent. The toilets and showers were basic and located in a separate bath house.

The biggest problem was the lack of lights and electricity. The electricity was turned-on only from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. So, if you wanted a hot shower, you had to schedule it in the evenings -- but it still was only warm. And, if you wanted to read at night, you had to resort to using a flash light.

As for the food, it was a real disappointment and lacked in variety and quality. We had better food prepared by our guides as we trekked from Dana Biosphere Reserve to Petra. Also, the food was served in a Bedouin tent that was candle-lit, which made it difficult to see what was being served.

Because of its remote location, if you don't have transportation to the surrounding communities, there is nothing to do at the camp. You are isolated.

Room Tip: If the owners wanted to improve the experience for tourists, they should provide private tents with...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank casasdehuhs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I opted to stay over night at this camp. I have never camped before so I was a little worried. Upon arrival, we were greeted with warm bedouin hospitality. We had our individual tent room right across the community dining area. They had camp fire and served traditional bedouin tea which was so good. They have nice, clean toilets and showers. Make sure to stay out after the lights go off to see the stars. With big boulders surrounding us , it was a breaktaking view at night.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Tristanne D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

So if you are up for a little bit of rustic charm with modern showers and toilets, This is your place! Yes it is a camp set up for tourists but it is Bedouin style with Bedouin hospitality and food. Friendly, proud of their heritage, lovely food, sweet aromatic tea by the campfire while being entertained with singing and playing on an old single stringed instrument (cannot remember the name of the instrument). AND DO BRING A FLASHLIGHT AND A TOWEL! Electricity from 6-10 pm only but many outlets to charge your electronics. And take your flashlight with you when you use the WC or shower during the day as well as at night. And the night sky! with no ambient lights the starry, starry night is magnificent! Definitely bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper (other campers noise not noisy camp). The mattresses are on the ground and only about 5 inches thick - relatively comfy but tough on bony hips. The blanket was lumpy and heavy but kept me quite warm during the cool nights. It is the desert so it cools off considerably after the sun goes down. Bring appropriate clothing. It is definitely an experience! Who needs another hotel stay when you are visiting a country like Jordan???

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really did enjoy my stay at Ammarin camp in spite of the the many problems ...
First of all this is not a real Bedouin camp ... just like all the other camps it's a tourist camp ... but let's say it's roughing it in the dessert Bedouin style ... don't get me wrong you will surely have a great experience, but just trying to be realistic here ...
Pros:
1- Bathrooms that are CLEANED ... a rarity in such camps
2- Shower stalls with hot water ... this is a bliss in the dessert
3- Good lunch / dinner ...tasty and filling
4- Tea all day long .. good aromatic sweet tea
5- Friendly staff

Cons:
1- There were only two toilets in use ... for both men and women (no designated area for women) and when the camp is full ... this becomes a nightmare
2- Tents lack privacy as there is one major tent with what looked like wool carpets as partitions ... i literally felt that i was sleeping next to the people on my right and left ... i can hear every breath ... snore ... even toss and turn ... so if you are a light sleeper like me this is a total nightmare. Also because of this weird system people keep bumping into each other's sleeping spots ... which is quite annoying
3- pillows are as hard as a rock ... mattresses are very thin it's like sleeping on the floor (but that was ok with me)
4- Breakfast was very poor

Be prepared:
1- bring a flashlight .. you will need it for bathroom visits at night as there will be no electricity after 10:00 pm ... also you will discover that you need the flashlight in the morning because the toilet becomes pitch black as soon as you close the door
2- Bring your sleeping bag if you are too fussy about clean pillows and mattresses
3- DON'T forget to bring ear plugs
4- Warm clothes as it gets quite cold at night
5- Towels
6- Soap or shampoo if you plan on taking a shower
7- The camp is 20 minutes drive to Petra so make sure you arrange for transportation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HistoryWoman
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We was there for a week, and this week was very special for me.
Beautiful nature, full of magic: you can sleep not in tent, but under the sky.
Beautiful people, full of hospitality.
Great food and coffee :)

It is far from civilization, that is why the light is off after 23.00 (camp have an electricity from generator). Closets and showers are clean.
If you want to feel the soul of Jourdan, visit this place :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank EAntr
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed in the Ammarin Bedouin Camp for four nights last month with a group and everything about my experience here was beautifully unexpected. The beauty of the surroundings was breathtaking, one of our days included a hike up the mountains where I felt like we traveled back through biblical times and ended with lunch on Farsh's 'Balcony' which overlooks the scenery of Wadi Araba. I don't think words or even pictures could capture the immense beauty of this place, one of my fellow travelers described it to me as 'photographers block'. Looking back at my photos I can agree!
Back at camp the serenity and tranquility of the area allowed me to relax into the Bedouin lifestyle with ease. Our beds ( mattress on the ground) was surprisingly comfortable, the rooms spacious and clean and I was delighted to find hot running water in spotless bathrooms.
The staff were warm and welcoming. I really enjoyed sipping on herbal tea by the open fire hearing their stories. Some staff were Bedouin and didn't speak english but were just as hospitable and helpful as the ones who did.
The food! What can I say about the food only I definitely went up a dress size in the four days! It is prepared by the local Bedouin women giving it the authentic taste and feel. The amount of joy and love that went into the preparation of the food is evident as I can still hear the laughter that we shared around the table while eating it.
I would highly recommend anyone visiting Petra to stay at least one night here and to take the trek to the Balcony.It is something that has to be experienced. I myself will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hobe Sound, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We arrived at the camp at 4:30 PM and was greeted by the manager. There was little to no communication since he did not speak very much English. He showed us to our tent that appeared to by clean. When we asked for towels we were told that they were extra. We found out that there electricity would only be available from 6:30PM to 9:30PM which meant that we could not charge our phones. Anyway, no cell service was available.

The evening meal, which consisted of chicken and rice, was served in the main tent was good. We sat around the main tent to keep warm by the fire until the lights went out. Fortunately, we had flashlights that enabled us to find our way back to our tent and to get ready for bed because there was no light.

The toilets and showers were a short walk from the tent. The problem was that you needed to have a flashlight to us the facilities because there was no light in the stalls and when you closed the door for privacy it was pitch black. This was true during daylight hours too.

The night became very cold making trips to the toilet difficult and sleeping, even with all of the blankets provided. difficult. Morning breakfast was served in the main tent under one gas powered light. Even though it was daylight, you could hardly see.

Obviously, the rating is based on our expectations versus what we received. If you enjoy camping and bring the appropriate equipment your experience will be better. As for us, we should have spent the night in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple