“Good experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petra - Wadi Musa
Ammarin Bedouin Camp
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really did enjoy my stay at Ammarin camp in spite of the the many problems ...
First of all this is not a real Bedouin camp ... just like all the other camps it's a tourist camp ... but let's say it's roughing it in the dessert Bedouin style ... don't get me wrong you will surely have a great experience, but just trying to be realistic here ...
Pros:
1- Bathrooms that are CLEANED ... a rarity in such camps
2- Shower stalls with hot water ... this is a bliss in the dessert
3- Good lunch / dinner ...tasty and filling
4- Tea all day long .. good aromatic sweet tea
5- Friendly staff

Cons:
1- There were only two toilets in use ... for both men and women (no designated area for women) and when the camp is full ... this becomes a nightmare
2- Tents lack privacy as there is one major tent with what looked like wool carpets as partitions ... i literally felt that i was sleeping next to the people on my right and left ... i can hear every breath ... snore ... even toss and turn ... so if you are a light sleeper like me this is a total nightmare. Also because of this weird system people keep bumping into each other's sleeping spots ... which is quite annoying
3- pillows are as hard as a rock ... mattresses are very thin it's like sleeping on the floor (but that was ok with me)
4- Breakfast was very poor

Be prepared:
1- bring a flashlight .. you will need it for bathroom visits at night as there will be no electricity after 10:00 pm ... also you will discover that you need the flashlight in the morning because the toilet becomes pitch black as soon as you close the door
2- Bring your sleeping bag if you are too fussy about clean pillows and mattresses
3- DON'T forget to bring ear plugs
4- Warm clothes as it gets quite cold at night
5- Towels
6- Soap or shampoo if you plan on taking a shower
7- The camp is 20 minutes drive to Petra so make sure you arrange for transportation

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank HistoryWoman

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We was there for a week, and this week was very special for me.
Beautiful nature, full of magic: you can sleep not in tent, but under the sky.
Beautiful people, full of hospitality.
Great food and coffee :)

It is far from civilization, that is why the light is off after 23.00 (camp have an electricity from generator). Closets and showers are clean.
If you want to feel the soul of Jourdan, visit this place :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank EAntr
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed in the Ammarin Bedouin Camp for four nights last month with a group and everything about my experience here was beautifully unexpected. The beauty of the surroundings was breathtaking, one of our days included a hike up the mountains where I felt like we traveled back through biblical times and ended with lunch on Farsh's 'Balcony' which overlooks the scenery of Wadi Araba. I don't think words or even pictures could capture the immense beauty of this place, one of my fellow travelers described it to me as 'photographers block'. Looking back at my photos I can agree!
Back at camp the serenity and tranquility of the area allowed me to relax into the Bedouin lifestyle with ease. Our beds ( mattress on the ground) was surprisingly comfortable, the rooms spacious and clean and I was delighted to find hot running water in spotless bathrooms.
The staff were warm and welcoming. I really enjoyed sipping on herbal tea by the open fire hearing their stories. Some staff were Bedouin and didn't speak english but were just as hospitable and helpful as the ones who did.
The food! What can I say about the food only I definitely went up a dress size in the four days! It is prepared by the local Bedouin women giving it the authentic taste and feel. The amount of joy and love that went into the preparation of the food is evident as I can still hear the laughter that we shared around the table while eating it.
I would highly recommend anyone visiting Petra to stay at least one night here and to take the trek to the Balcony.It is something that has to be experienced. I myself will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We arrived at the camp at 4:30 PM and was greeted by the manager. There was little to no communication since he did not speak very much English. He showed us to our tent that appeared to by clean. When we asked for towels we were told that they were extra. We found out that there electricity would only be available from 6:30PM to 9:30PM which meant that we could not charge our phones. Anyway, no cell service was available.

The evening meal, which consisted of chicken and rice, was served in the main tent was good. We sat around the main tent to keep warm by the fire until the lights went out. Fortunately, we had flashlights that enabled us to find our way back to our tent and to get ready for bed because there was no light.

The toilets and showers were a short walk from the tent. The problem was that you needed to have a flashlight to us the facilities because there was no light in the stalls and when you closed the door for privacy it was pitch black. This was true during daylight hours too.

The night became very cold making trips to the toilet difficult and sleeping, even with all of the blankets provided. difficult. Morning breakfast was served in the main tent under one gas powered light. Even though it was daylight, you could hardly see.

Obviously, the rating is based on our expectations versus what we received. If you enjoy camping and bring the appropriate equipment your experience will be better. As for us, we should have spent the night in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a warm caring camp that will do anything to please. You can have your own room (part of the tent-very private) or put 2 in a room. We went in January and we sat around the huge fire stove kinda thing in theh huge Community tent and were warm as toast, They're welcoming tea was delicious and the food was so good too. We had Jordanian food but also had chicken and rice for the not so dareing eaters. They do have a generator where they were able to charge my camera batteries (which saved my life) They have a private shower and several private bathrooms. You will need to take a towel but we would love to go back.They speak very good English.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cyndy G
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at Ammarin Bedouin Camp after learing that the camp is a "responsible and ethical tourism venue" whereby proceeds of our pay go to the local community cooperative - 200 families. The staff is from the local community and all the support unit too. Cooking is performed by local bedouin women who put in their hearts and presented us with the best meals we had during our visit to Jordan. Tasty and authentic food. Staff was very friendly, facilities and ground are very clean, and rababa music next to the fire unwound us after a long day of hiking. The hike we took with a local Bedouin around the camp area and Beida was magnificent and spectacular to say the least. We had our two young boys; 3 and 5 years old, with us who managed to enjoy the hike especially with the help of our guide Mousa who was pleasant and charming. I recommend this camp to all visitors to Petra to add a different flavor and twist to the visit by engaging with the Bedouins and visiting a much serene location. A real cultural and socially responsible visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SpiritualWorld
Reviewed October 12, 2012

location of the camp is fantastic, serene, quiet, mysterious ..we love small museum with herbs and real items from bedouin life, also impressed by fantastic photos of old local bedouins. We like hospitable service,smiling faces and play on rubaba ..food was great , and had a lot of local herbal tea , and unexpected hot water shower.. had great time , will come back for sure !

Room Tip: mysterious dreams could be caught if you get corner room