“Not the experience I expected”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petra - Wadi Musa
Ammarin Bedouin Camp
LA
“Not the experience I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

After reading the glowing reviews from other travelers, I was sure this would be an experience of a lifetime. I was somewhat disappointed by the experience, so much so that Once I returned, I went back and reread the other reviews to make sure I wasn't anticipating more than could be delivered. I'm not sure if something has changed at the camp but it is definitely one grade below where it's been in the past. For starters, no one at the camp spoke more than a few sentences of English so we learned absolutely nothing about the Bedouins which was one thing I was really looking forward to. Strike 1. Because my husband and I were the only ones there on the first night, it made for an incredibly quiet night around the fire. We anticipated conversation around the fire with the abundant cookies and tea (no cookies, only tea) that other travelers mentioned. Then to our dismay, we learned that the camp doesn't provide towels, although other reviews specifically mentioned they did. We asked if there were towels and after struggling to describe what a towel is, they said sorry, no towels. Strike 2. The shower facilities were fine. Plenty of hot water and privacy was provided. The sleeping tents were just ok. The sleeping pads provided were pretty worn and both my husband and I felt our hips hit the hard ground below. The pillows were as hard as a rock so neither of us got a good night's sleep either of the 2 nights we stayed. Strike 3. Finally, after we saw the other Bedouin camps around on the drive to Petra, we compared prices and accommodations once we were back at home. It appears that the Ammarin Camp is nearly double the price of the 7 wonders camp which is such a shame. I would have opted to stay there had I done more research prior to booking. It seems that the experience there is better (from what I discerned from the Tripadvisor reviews) for a MUCH better price. The positive aspect I can comment on is the dinner. The standard dinner is very abundant and delicious and features salad, hummus, delicious potato dish, chicken, rice, olives, water and pita. We upgraded to the zaarb dinner on the second night and I thought it was utterly overpriced. My husband really enjoyed it and thought it was worth it for the experience, but I think paying 30 dinars more per person (which would get you a heck of a nice dinner anywhere in Jordan) is robbery. The only difference between the regular dinner and the zaarb is they cook the dinner in the ground and add lamb, baked potatoes and a cooked onion. For comparison, we ate an elegant dinner for 2 at our hotel in Aqaba and got 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 39 dinars. Or you could pay a Bedouin 60 dinars to cook some lamb for you....your choice. Overall, I would recommend staying at a Bedouin camp while in Petra, but 1 night is sufficient, and I wouldn't suggest upgrading to a zaarb diner. I also would recommend shopping around at other camps since this one seems to be lacking as of late and very expensive. Also, keep in mind that you have to pay 5-10dinars to get to and from the camp because it's 10km outside of the Petra gate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank LuvSLO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

This was lovely, basic but lovely. Sitting out at night round the camp fire before tucking into a traditional Bedouin meal was brilliant.

The tent was a little cold but other than that it was a brilliant experience. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a truely authentic experience whilst visinting Petra

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank aliceshort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

Very clean site with great location. I would recommend going there when the moon is not visible as you will be able to literally see billions of stars ... Amazing.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Max_Max99
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

My wife and I spent a night at the Ammarin Camp after visiting Petra while traveling through Jordan. The camp was great it was clean, the tents were comfortable. The restrooms and shower area were also clean and well maintained. Even though all other guest had to cancel their reservations because of the volcanic ash cloud the managers of the camp took great care to make our stay very nice even though we were the only guest. The food that was served was delicious. Overall a great stay with very nice people we would strongly recommend it for a once in a life time experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

We were booking the Ammarin Bedouin Camp already from home and were not sure what to expect but as we wanted to stay in Petra for 2 days we thought it will be a very nice experience.

We were very positively surprised arriving there: this is not a campsite, that's a **** Tent Motel :-) The toilets and showers were clean and well cared, the dinner is served in a beautiful clan tent atmosphere. Only the breakfast is very simple. We were one of the few solo/couple travelers - the rest contained of big groups of French, Japanese and Dutch.

The Camp is located some 15 minutes by taxi from Wadi Musa near "Little Petra" and therefore easy reachable (only the last 1km is a dirt track).

Don't expect any kind of "Bedouin entertainment", this is a place to have a quite and relaxing night under the firmament of thousands of stars only disturbed by a night long howling and barking of the dogs! Don't miss the small museum about Bedouin life.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BR-CH-Travellers
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights which I think is long enough as Petra can be seen in one day. We came with our own car which we could park safely within the camp grounds. I can't say it was that easy to find but if you go to visitor's centre of Petra and turn right after the movenpick hotel and continue driving towards little petra you should see a sign at some point. I had expected a very large camp but is was a bit smaller than expected and even though there were quite some people staying there it did not feel crowded. There were 3 French groups when we were there; the first night there were 25 French camper vans parked on the grounds (but the grounds are big enough so it was not a big issue)! Showers and toilets are clean. They provide clean sheets and towels. The food was good and more than plentiful (we did not opt for the Zarb as the cost seemed a bit excessive). The "entertainment" was 1 song on one of the two nights. The service was good and everybody was friendly but it is a larger camp so don't expect to have an intimate local experience.
I had booked the Petra back trail in advance through the camp which was a tough and nice hike to the monastry (although somewhat usafe, at some points you walk on a small ridge with no protection from a big fall downwards). The walk is not worth the money in my opinion (70 jd for a 2.5hr walk with a guide who barely spoke english). I complained about this and the complaint was dealt with in a professional manner. In hindsight I would have just taken the car to Petra's main entrance and entered from there.
Petra is easy to walk through so you don't really need a guide (although he might be able to give you good additional information). Apparently they cost 50jd for 4-5 hours at the visitor centre. The city of Petra does not have much to offer so there is no need to spend much time there.
I have no problem recommending this camp to anyone who enjoys camping. I don't know any other camp in the area (although we did see one other camp not too far away). The price is relatively high for what you get but compared to staying at a hotel in Petra itself I think it is a much nicer experience. If you do not have much time and are thinking about staying in Petra for 3 nights and only 1 in Wadi Rum I would advise to stay 2 nights in both. We also camped in Wadi Rum (in Obeid's camp) which was an even better experience as it is more small scale and therefore more cosy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sebbie33
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stayed one night in this "camp" and it was the experience of a lifetime. Located deep into a canyon, surrounded by towering mountains, the camp consists of 3 long "tents", each of which has 4 "rooms" inside. Each room is separated only by fabric and consists of foam mats,pillows and heavy blankets. We had a fantastically comfortable night. There is a large open dining tent where meals are taken sitting on mats and pillows at low tables. Bathrooms are completely modern with hot showers,flush toilets in a separate facility from the tents.
The bedouin staff were extremely hospitable, friendly, warm and ever present. The food was abundant, varied and totally delicious. After dinner we were treated to the ever-present shia tea, cookies served around a fire brazier brought into the dining tent. Lounging on pillows we spent well over an hour being serenaded by a staff member playing a homemade single string instrument and singing haunting melodies.
Our time was spent wandering the area, exploring canyons and dunes. There was absolutely no sound but the wind and an occasional goat bleating in the distance. Ali, the "security" person took us out at night and showed us the various plants and rocks. The sky at night was crystal clear and filled with millions (literally) of stars.
Be adventurous and don't hesitate to stay with the Ammarin tribe!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple