“good value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hidab Hotel

Hidab Hotel
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“good value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Hidab hotel in the Petra area suited our purposes. It's not luxury but not a dump either. It's not as far from the entrance of Petra as I thought. It's a brisk 2 mile walk from the hotel downhill. College students do that everyday. The bus passes by the hotel so I memorized the way from the bus stop back to the hotel. Go to Petra when it's cooler not the middle of summer. A taxi ride should be 2 JD. When you arrive by bus a lot of drivers try to overcharge you to your hotel.We got a taxi driver to pick us up and drop us off each way for 2 JD total not each person. He was Kazer at (00962)- 0777629437(Prices may change). Don't walk uphill from Petra to the hotel. It's a killer walk especially after you have walked 11 miles inside the park all day. I don't recommend taking the one day bus from Aman and back the same day. You should spend 2 or 3 nights. The one day trip people don't have time to see everything in 5 hrs. THe distances are deceiving and you may miss the one bus back to Aman. They smelled of sweat and exhaustion on the way back. There's a real nice tour in the evening called Petra by night. Do it! It's short but you'll always remember it. I still don't think little Petra is worth going though. It's up to you. The hotel does come with a frig make sure it works. The tv cable was out standing. There's not that much to do in the evening in Petra but there's plenty of English movies and stations to watch. If you didn't get an electrical adapter in Aman you can in Petra. See what they use in the hotel and get that one in town at an electrical hardware store. There's 2 you buy and you combine them for your computer, camera, or phone. 1 JD each. The AC did work. If not then change rooms. The bathroom is not luxury and small. Clean enough. I don't think they will, but they should look into making the rooms smaller & the bathroom bigger. It takes a long time for the hot water to come out in the evening but there is hot water in the morning. They do have free internet, but sometimes service might be disrupted. Just call the front desk and ask when it will be up again. There is not a free hotel shuttle that's why I found a taxi driver who agreed to a set price for each trip from the hotel. The breakfast doesn't look like the picture. It was humas, tomato, pita, jam, OJ, hot tea, & an egg. Exchange your money in Aman before going to Petra and get lots of small denominations. I got a good price but there are closer more expensive hotels. If you want more conveniences, try the Seven Wonders, Candles, or Rock Mountain. They looked good too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ashrafkhan97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin , Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aqaba, Jordan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is a sham, run by rude & incompetent people.

Our initials problems were checking in, we were told it was a room with a flat-screen. It was a 20cm TV from the stone-age (not a big deal since you don't go to Petra to watch TV).
The same room's shower was broken. The handle that holds the shower head was broken.
After notifying the front desk person, he put us into a bigger room with a flat screen tv and a shower that was not broken. We were happy with this change.

We also notified him we would like to book the bus to Wadi Rum. He said no problem. We confirmed the booking with him the next day and asked where it picks us up. He told us.

We were there for 2 days, there was no hot water at all. Not even lukewarm. Arctic Cold. This was despite being told "Hot water will come on in 30 minutes"

Also the hotel is not anywhere near Petra. It is a 20-30 minute downhill walk. Which isn't so bad. But if you walk in Petra all day, the last thing you want to do is walk an incline so steep you're practically mountain climbing.

But the killer was the day we were checking out.
We booked through bookings.com. The front desk man claims we had to pay as we had not paid bookings.com. After arguing and providing evidence we had paid he still did not believe us and did not let us go.
At this point he called my partner a "who*e" in Arabic (yes we understand it). We relented and paid, figuring we can get this back later on.
We then asked when the bus is coming, he told us "I cancelled it".
We asked why
He replied "Not my business."
Again, arguing the point with him, he changed his reason to "The bus company cancelled"
Of which, he was once again proven to be a liar because the bus eventually turned up out the front of the hotel as we were about to get into a taxi. It was at this point he called me a "[--]".

Two days later, we log into bookings.com and he has said we did not show up.

I implore everyone reading this to not use this disgraceful hotel. There are better, cheaper hotels closer to Petra. Do not give this man any business. He doesn't deserve a dinar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DJ1983DG1984

Travelers are raving about these Petra - Wadi Musa hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

When I read the wonderful reviews that have been written on this site about the Hidab Hotel I booked a weeks stay there, confident that I was going to a good three star hotel. What a mistake! I am now convinced that most, if not all of those reviews must have been written by someone with an interest in the Hotel because there is barely a grain of truth in any of them. Our stay there was out of peak season but that can not justify the complaints that I am about to list here. The decoration was old and shabby, as were the furnishings. The double-glazing was the old 5mm type which is almost totally ineffective against the street noise and the speaker on the next building which blasts out the morning call to prayer three times every morning at dawn, which for our stay was at 4:30am. The view from the window is across a dirty road and a building site, and the walk to Petra is a grueling one hour trudge up hill. The bed was clean and well made but of the four pillows only one had a pillow case. After waiting for three days for this simple thing to be corrected we took one from a nearby unoccupied room. There was a fridge in the room connected to a single socket via a tangle of wires and adaptors that looked anything but safe. The only other working socket was in the bathroom, so to boil the kettle we had to stand it in the sink. The bathroom was dreadful! The flow of water from the basin tap and into the toilet cistern was no more than a pathetic dribble, there was no hot water at all, but the worst feature was the shower. Broken fittings which were only replaced after three days of complaint; a grubby stained shower tray, and a mouldy shower curtain. Despite countless promises by the staff to supply hot water we only had one luke warm shower during our entire stay, the rest were cold enough to take your breath away. Yes we were offered a change of room but the choices were no better than the one we had. We had paid for bed and breakfast but the restaurant was unmanned until the third day when our complaints were answered with a woefully inadequate continental breakfast made available to us by the odd job man who had been trying and failing to fix the shower. After that we ate elsewhere.
If there was a pool on the roof we certainly didn’t see it and the bar which is next to reception was not open and was used by the staff as a place to pray. Yes the staff were polite and willing, but that didn’t translate into action. They were hopelessly ineffective. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at, without exception.

Room Tip: We didn't see any nice rooms.