“Nice hotel; really helpfull and friendly staff!”
Review of Cleopetra Hotel

Cleopetra Hotel
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Utrecht
“Nice hotel; really helpfull and friendly staff!”
Reviewed November 19, 2008

The Cleopetra Hotel was recommended to us by some travellers we met in Amman. They said it was a good priced hotel and really helpfull staff. We experienced just that. The staff invited us to join for a local dinner, together with 12 other people who were staying at the hotel. Included in the hotelprice is the daily trip to the gate of the Petra site. The staff is really helpfull with the planning of trips around Petra and will even help to find good deals to other places in Jordan. The rooms are clean and okay; we recommend this hotel to everybody! :-)

We're really suprised about the previous comment....

• Liked — Friendly staff!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arjen-Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Horrible Rip Off! Don't Stay Here! What an awful experience I had at this dirty, noisy place. Far from the sights, horrific, nasty management. Rip off all the way. No hot water. Nasty tiny room. So glad I had my own pillow - no pillow case on the pillow. Funny ha ha joke of the manager that they had no towels. Had to grovel to get a tiny threadbare stained towel. Two of us had called ahead to book single rooms for 2 nights. They said they had them, but when we arrived, they said they only had double rooms - at a higher price. And they only had them for 1 night. Promised to move us to another hotel at comparable price for the next night. That was another fleatrap for an even higher price. Had to wait and wait to get moved. Rudest, nastiest management I have ever encountered. He was on some kind of a power trip, enjoyed making us wait and wait and wait (after long day of traveling, touring the ruins, on the way to the ruins, etc.). Whatever you do, don't stay here!

• Disliked — Disgusting
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
new york
Reviewed November 11, 2008

The host, Mosleh, makes this hostel-like hotel worthwhile. The hotel itself is rather shabby, and unfortunately people smoke indoors, but Mosleh was fascinating to talk with. The hotel is in town, rather than right near the site, but someone from the hotel will drive you to Petra. He even took us the back way one day. He was also very helpful about booking a cab at a reasonable price to go back to the crossing at Eilat, and gave good advice about where to eat (as we realized when we were overcharged at a place he hadn't recommended). . As two older women together, we felt very comfortable there. We had heard about Cleopetra from a friend for whom Mosleh arranged a desert tour, but we didn't do that.

• Liked — helpful host
  • Disliked — indoor smoking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bridgeandtunnel
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 19, 2008

The staff here were very friendly and helpful. They let us know how much we should pay the taxis and helped us get on the bus from Wadi Musa to Aqaba. The room was fine. The communal room was fun to hang out in and talk to people in. They had a tv, a dvd player and dvds you could borrow there too.

However, it was very cold when we were there, but they only turned the heat on in the room at around 9pm, then turned it off sometime in the middle of the night (I know because I woke up due to the cold), only to turn it back on the morning for a little while. So, the room would be nice while the heat was on, but would become freezing once the heat was off. They kept a space heater on in the communal room though. There wasn't hot water all day either. I'm not sure what the schedule was, but when we came back from Petra in the afternoon and tried to shower, there wasn't hot water, but there was hot water that evening. The staff asked me (rather persistently) to rate them 100% on hostelworld also, which I don't think is something that should be asked for.

Overall, it was a good experience.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Freezing cold room most of the time
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nenya
new york
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My experience at the Cleopetra Hotel was just awful. The double room I stayed had barely the space to fit 2 short "beds" on which my feet were sticking out (I am barely 1,80 mt - less than 6 feet). The room itself was very dirty, and the interior was truly run down. There was dirt and bread crumbs on the carpet, and hair and stains on the sheets (which did not smell fresh). Even if the young guy kept repeating that they did have hot water, I have never had the chance to benefit from it during my 3 nights I spent there. It was always cold. The toilet was not flushing well, so that I needed to use the bathroom beside the lobby. They do provide towels, but, apparently, they are always at the laudrymat. When, on the third night I spent there, I put my foot down and demanded a towel (keep in mind that I don't mind staying in places that don't provide towels, but I do want to get one when I see other people receiving it!), this is what happened, I swear. I walk into the lobby, and the guy is playing backgammon with a friend. I politely ask him to provide towels for me and my friend, and he tells me to wait until he's done with that game. (!!!) Then, after 10 minutes I am there waiting, he goes to his closet, grabs a towel and hands it to me. I remind him I need 2 towels (since 2 people are going to shower), and he tells me we can both use it! After I ask him for a second time, he just tells me to cut the towel in half, so that we can both use it. Only after I bluff, leaving the room, he runs back with another towel for my friend. I highly recommend travelers should not stay in this place. That young manager was rude, disrespectful and could care less about our staying with them. We did not book any other service with him, so maybe that's the reason he treated us this way. However, this does not justify the arrogant and nasty behavior he has had during our stay. I've traveled extensively and have rarely found people like him.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — The room and the manager's arrogance.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank sciscio
Barcelona
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Our hostel in Petra, Cleopetra, is a perfect place for backpackers, and Mosleh, the one who runs it, is the perfect host!

Their moto is "come as a guest, leave as a friend", and it is so true! He gave us useful tips and took great care of us.

For instance, after checking in he took us to Petra by car. Haha, as european ladies travelling alone we had been advised not to seat in the copilote place of a car because it seems drivers might take it as an invitation to touch you... So we sat first in the back and he acted half offended, then I sat next to him. Believe me, the rule of "avid for sex drivers with occidentals" does not apply to him nor any of his drivers! ; )

He also organized for us a great time in the Wadi Rum desert for a reasonable price.

As for the rooms, they are clean and nice with warm water. Breakfast includes bread, coffee/tea, boiled eggs, marmalade, cheese.

• Liked — The friendly owner, always ready to help
  • Disliked — Long walking distance from Petra (but they take you there by car if you wish!)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends