“Brilliant educational adventure for the whole family!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manu Learning Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manu National Park
Manu Learning Centre
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Brilliant educational adventure for the whole family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

There was something amazing for each person in our family at the Manu Learning Centre. The children loved our wildlife walks, drinking water from freshly chopped bamboo, climbing vines, learning to identify bird calls and animal tracks and especially sipping hot chocolate in the candle-lit evenings while we played cards with the other volunteers and staff. As adults, we felt the program was a wonderful immersion in a world far, far away from our modern daily rat-race. It felt great to plant new trees and create vegetable gardens for the remote villages in the area.. it felt great to give back a little and also to know that a little of us would be there to mark our presence long after we returned home. I would highly recommend this experience to other adventurous families!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HuddTravellingZooFam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We wanted to see the rainforest in Peru and this was certainly a great way to do it. A beautiful and remote area in the Manu National Park. By going with CREES, we had the benefit of the most knowledgeable guide you could ask for! Ronald knew EVERYTHING about the flora and fauna and was a very patient and friendly fella. He adapted what he was showing us and telling us so that our daughter would not get bored (you know what teenagers are like!). The Manu Learning Centre is such a special place to stay at too. The lodges are simple but comfortable and you are surrounded by forest that is so alive! The Oropendula birds wake you in the morning with their astonishing call and the cicadas lull you to sleep each night. All the staff are friendly and helpful and it is a real education hearing the researchers talk about their experiences. Would definitely return if I got the chance, if only to watch the fabulous hummingbirds and butterflies flitting around the flowering plants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Manu Learning Centre late last year, and honestly had such a special time.

Getting there was an incredible experience in itself - floating downstream in a little boat for 25 minutes, until reaching a little pebbled bay where we stopped, picked up our bags and made our way up a bunch of higgledy-piggledy steps to be presented with the most spectacular accommodation.

We were made to feel so welcome from the moment we arrived to the day we said our goodbyes. The food was good, there was a nice sense of community, and sleeping in the middle of the rainforest was a pretty special experience too.

If you're squeemish about bugs, it can be a bit tough at times (you're in the rainforest after all) but I'm rubbish with creepy crawlies and I coped just fine - and it certainly didn't ruin my experience in any way.

I'd really recommend this place to anyone looking to take a break from everyday life, and for those looking for an adventure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The MLC is without a doubt the most amazing place I have ever visited. From being woken to the call of monkeys in the morning until you're lulled to sleep by the chirp of insects in the evening, no two days are the same.

I spent a month volunteering at the mlc in august 2012 and it was the most fulfilling, wonderful, backbreaking experience of my life. I would never hesitate to go back again tomorrow. I have fond memories of creeping about the forest floor looking for frogs and snakes with just the light of my head torch. Slogging through the rivers at night on the hunt for caimen (which we were successful on my second night in the jungle!)

Volunteering really can change people's lives, especially working within the community of the local village Salvacion. If jungle adventure is what you seek then visit this wonderful place.

• Stayed August 2012
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Whether you want to volunteer and be part of the research program or just visit as a tourist and take a few hikes through the forrest this is a great place to stay. The staff here is amazingly hard working and friendly, they are all very easy to interact with. Even though I was the only American in there, I was welcomed and fit right in with everyone. The researchers are incredibly knowledgeable and love to talk about and inform people about the forrest and things that you can do to help the forrest. I stayed here as a volunteer even though I did a lot of hard work, it was very satisfying work and I learned a lot about the animals and plants of the forrest. I would love to get back here and stay for a longer period of food. The beautiful scenery never got old even though I walked through it everyday. The rooms are open and beds are covered with mosquito nets, I never had a problem with bugs in my bed or being bitten while I was sleeping. This open style of room makes you feel like you are sleeping right out in the jungle. You wake up to the calls of birds, monkeys, and insects every morning; I couldn't ask for a better alarm clock. This was easily one of the best experiences of my life and was due in part to the wonderful people that I got to meet. I will never forget this experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have visited the Manu Learning Centre several times over the years and each experience was truly unique and wonderful. The very nature of the place attracts a very interesting and a diverse group of researchers and visitors and there are always a variety of projects and initiatives going on that really give you a sense of not only the challenges that the Amazonian rain forests are facing but also what is being done on a grass roots level to address these issues.

Stunning wildlife and beautiful scenery becomes a part of your daily life. Fantastic staff and comprehensive facilities mean that you can enjoy the experience in comfort.

Would recommend to anyone drawn to the idea of an adventure in the Amazon. Believe me this is a trip you will never forget.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Whether you’re looking to volunteer, escape the city life for a bit, or throw yourself into nature at its finest, the MLC really does just have it all. My time there was a perfect balance between meaningful satisfying work and complete relaxation. After my first few days I was well and truly hooked, already extending my stay and planning a return (my third visit is now in the planning stages!).

Rooms are open style so from falling asleep to waking up you feel like you are right in the heart of the forest. A few steps out of your door and you are walking nature trails filled with brightly coloured fascinating flora and catching glimpses of all variety of animals before even sitting down to breakfast. Evening time, follow the fireflies down to the nearby river and you will be treated to clear night skies and a great view of the Milky Way – some nights I had drag myself away and to bed otherwise I would have stayed till sunrise!

The staff are like one big family and you will very quickly feel like you’ve become the latest member. They are also a fountain of knowledge and can tell you everything from which bird is making that beautiful call, to which large cat left that perfect paw-print the night before!

Experiences like this really just don’t come along every day. The MLC has created a unique and unforgettable experience that has something for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms all follow the same layout and are a great balance between open and private.