All reviews local bedouin vegetarian food sunset walk no electricity solar panels bedouin life unique place cooking class pickup truck amazing experience dead sea an eco lodge hot water bottles two nights reception area bedouin tea milky way
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a lovely region. Very basic, but that was what was expected. Staff were all lovely and very accommodating. Falafel class was very informative with great teachers. Loved all the goats and cats hanging around. Very enjoyable experience.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

A small ecolodge, situated in a Bedouin village, Feynan is not only a lovely relaxing place to stay, it helps you learn about the Bedouin culture. The rooms are simple, but have everything you need. Meals are had on the outside terraces, where you are entertained every morning as the goats pass through and try to steal some breakfast. Every day there are activities (hikes) and you can additionally sign up for activities with local families such as making Kohl, making bread, etc. Such a beautiful place to discover. My most magical moment was taking a sunset walk and having the Bedouin children take me to their "mountain" where they danced and entertained me. Such a wonderful experience and place

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracy W
Reviewed July 1, 2018

It is beautiful to arrive to Feynan Ecolodge right after sunset, welcomed by a hundred candles lighting up the reception, the corridors and the rooms. The lodge is alluring in its simplicity. Try to spend there at least two nights: Feynan and its people have got much to tell, and you will be glad to feel a little bit part of it.

Important: bring your own containers for the water, it is really hard to find a plastic bottle there, and that's beautiful as well. If you have time, get to the lodge hiking from Dana. I will do it next time!

Room Tip: the rooms with private terrace are beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2018

I really loved my stay here and it was definitely one of the main highlights of my trip. I came during Ramadan and had seen from the lodge website that activities would be reduced, but there was still plenty to do and wonderful things to learn.

I hadn't realised it was a half hour journey from the village in a 4x4 and the drive really makes you feel like you're leaving it all behind and getting off the beaten track (literally, it's a bumpy ride so you have to leave the car behind!) I arrived in time for the sunset walk, lead by Suleiman, who took us past his family's tents and goats all penned in for the night and showed us where he had been born before letting us wonder up the hill while he made delicious Bedouin tea on the fire for our return.

After dinner, which was really good and plentiful, we all went up onto the roof where Suleiman explained the constellations that we saw and even showed us the planets through the telescope. The highlight was seeing Saturn and its rings, which was really incredible.

The whole place is lit by candlelight at night and there's no electricity in the rooms, except in the bathrooms, so you need a torch. It's really lovely and I didn't find it inconvenient at all as a box of matches was placed in the room so you can light your own candles. The beds are comfy, although the rooms are very warm which is probably great in the colder months but it was difficult to sleep in summer. You can go and sleep on the roof, though, which would be magical under the stars. Breakfast was on the terrace and it was fun watching the guys in the lodge chasing the odd passing goats away from the tables. The local cats and kittens come begging but are a as much a part of the place as the goats and sheep.

The next morning Mohammed led us on a really beautiful hike through Wadi Ghuweir, along the stream that brings the water down from the spring in the mountains and is used by the whole community, including the lodge. He taught us a Bedouin game and showed us how to make soap from a plant he'd collected and we caught up with a local shepherd herding his goats who let a few of the girls have a ride on his donkey.

I wish I could have done more hiking and seen more of the area and stayed to learn more. Two nights wasn't really enough and as amazing and beautiful as Petra and Wadi Rum are, my experience of them wasn't as special as staying at Feynan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Flashlastcentury
Reviewed June 10, 2018

I stayed at Feynan for three nights in early May. The ride in was an adventure, but it certainly added to the off-the-beaten-path vibe. My room (#3) was spartan but comfortable, once I got used to the candle-light and electricity only in the bathroom. Food was fresh and local, but could have used some signs (what is it we're eating?) and a bit more protein. Reception staff were very friendly (Ali in particular).

I took advantage of as many of the hikes and interpretive walks as I could, mostly with local Bedouin guide Ali Hasaseen. He is a real character ... funny and very informative. Tried the coffee and bread (arboud) experiences, along with the copper mine hike. Wonderful evening hiking to the top of a ridge to watched the sun set over Israel, then a magical spur-of-the-moment experience on the way down where I shared coffee w lodge employee Ameen Saraheen and his father. Sitting on a carpet in the dusky light, out in the wind, with the call to prayer echoing from the valley below, will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. Thank you, Ameen.
Spent a good half-day on my own walking back through the Bedouin village, over a ridge, and then up the Wadi Ghwayr valley. Beautiful walk through a dramatic landscape.
Feynan is a very special place, and not at all what I expected. While the lodge itself is spartan, and while some things could be taken up a notch, take the time to understand how unique a model this is. It's all about how the lodge and the Bedouin village are interconnected, how they both benefit from the warmth, hospitality and generosity of the amazing Bedouin people. It is as good an example of the principles of sustainability at work as any I've seen, and I'm in the business and have seen many. This is a magical place; it takes at least two days to understand it, to let the magic become obvious.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled on business