All reviews local bedouin vegetarian food sunset walk no electricity solar panels bedouin life unique place cooking class pickup truck amazing experience dead sea an eco lodge hot water bottles two nights reception area bedouin tea milky way
Reviewed June 10, 2018

I stayed at Feynan for three nights in early May. The ride in was an adventure, but it certainly added to the off-the-beaten-path vibe. My room (#3) was spartan but comfortable, once I got used to the candle-light and electricity only in the bathroom. Food was fresh and local, but could have used some signs (what is it we're eating?) and a bit more protein. Reception staff were very friendly (Ali in particular).

I took advantage of as many of the hikes and interpretive walks as I could, mostly with local Bedouin guide Ali Hasaseen. He is a real character ... funny and very informative. Tried the coffee and bread (arboud) experiences, along with the copper mine hike. Wonderful evening hiking to the top of a ridge to watched the sun set over Israel, then a magical spur-of-the-moment experience on the way down where I shared coffee w lodge employee Ameen Saraheen and his father. Sitting on a carpet in the dusky light, out in the wind, with the call to prayer echoing from the valley below, will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. Thank you, Ameen.
Spent a good half-day on my own walking back through the Bedouin village, over a ridge, and then up the Wadi Ghwayr valley. Beautiful walk through a dramatic landscape.
Feynan is a very special place, and not at all what I expected. While the lodge itself is spartan, and while some things could be taken up a notch, take the time to understand how unique a model this is. It's all about how the lodge and the Bedouin village are interconnected, how they both benefit from the warmth, hospitality and generosity of the amazing Bedouin people. It is as good an example of the principles of sustainability at work as any I've seen, and I'm in the business and have seen many. This is a magical place; it takes at least two days to understand it, to let the magic become obvious.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed May 31, 2018

Absolutely amazing, one of a kind experience! Be ready - there is really no electricity. Take everything you need from your luggage before it gets dark. I was there at the end of May and it was insanely hot (100 at night). No possibility to cool off - no ice cubes, even "cold" water in the shower was hot. Sleeping in the room was impossible - especially without the fan. We ended up on the roof, which was magical! Some people slept in the reception area (the only ceiling fan available). I recommend sleeping on the roof either way (the hotel is super accommodating - they will set up the beds and come all night to change candles and check if you need anything), but you will need bug spray because of the near-by water reservoirs.
I know it all may sound kinda horrible, but I wouldn't change my time spent there for anything! If you somehow end up in the middle of that desert, please don't hesitate.
Rooms are not created equal! Our rooms (#11 & #12 were much bigger and nicer than rooms the rest of the group stayed in (numbers in the 20+). Some rooms don't have real showers. We didn't pay extra, maybe we received them because we arrived first?
Food is fantastic. Vegetarian, but so good! The staff is incredible. Very cute goats wondering around and lots of activities offered by the hotel. The sky is something I will remember for the rest of my life. If you're very worried about the heat, I recommend visiting earlier in the year.

Room Tip: Rooms are really not equal! We just got lucky to get the big/nice room (#11&12)
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2018

This lodge was a dirty, run down, fly blown, hugely overpriced disappointment. Switching off the electricity supply and scattering a few recycling bins around does not make an eco lodge or justify a huge room price. The room was somehow much hotter inside than out and full of mosquitos. The buffet food was average with much of it left open to flies for some time before being available to eat. The clothing of the chef and other kitchen staff was filthy. The outside dining area was overrun by cats stealing food from guests’ plates and a herd of defacating goats wandered between the tables. The very expensive transfer vehicle was driven dangerously, picked up an additional non-paying passenger and in such poor condition that it broke down half way through the 3 hour journey back to Dana and could not be fixed.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2018 via mobile

The concept is really interesting, although some details are missed.
Food was one of the best I had in Jordan! The view from the rooftop is also awesome and they have even a telescope.
However I really dont recommend the place if you dont have your own vehicle. The transport to get to the closest village is either very complicated and not reliable at all, either very expensive if you use a taxi.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2018

The Feynan Ecolodge is exactly what it claims to be - so if that is the experience you are looking for, then you must stay here. We stayed only for a night, but I would recommend, if you want to experience it completely, you should stay 2 nights. There are a lot of treks and short experiences that they arrange on a daily basis.

The food is all vegetarian, and very fresh, local and delicious. Something totally different.

The staff is super nice, courteous and friendly. They are all very knowledgeable and will help you in every way possible.

Overall, would recommend staying here for this specific experience. There is not much else to do here.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends