“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Bansko
Bristol
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A group of 6 of us stayed for a week from 01 March. We were all really impressed with the hotel and had no complaints.

The food was surprisingly good, with a big selection for breakfast and dinner including lots of Bulgarian food. Mostly very hearty soups and stews but lots of nice salads and vege options as well. The room service was also really cheap, I ordered a pizza which cost around £3.50 and wasn't expecting much but when it came it was delicious, hand made with lots of nice toppings.

The fire was burning 24 hours a day and made a great central point for us all to meet. The hotel bar was really good value, and the barman, Robert was really attentive and friendly. The hotel ran an activity every night - bingo, quizzes, darts, most of which were free to enter with a bottle of sparkling wine as a prize.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and really large. Beds were comfy and the shower was really powerful and always warm.

The pool area was also really good, never too busy and a nice place to relax after a hard day of skiing.

The only downside is the lack of decent free internet. I paid 35 Lev (about £15) for internet access for the week as the free internet was far too slow and unreliable.

Overall, really impressed and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here on 1st March for one week in room 218 the food is ok and I understand why other reviews mention the Luke warm aspect. However there is plenty off variety and I am sure everyone could find something acceptable to eat. The bar menu is not too bad either. The staff are lovely too. The pool and sauna are a welcome break from the skiing, you will need to get a 'towel' which is actually a bath robe which you will need to change every 3 days. Rooms are clean but free wifi is hit and miss we logged on to the Belvedere wifi (hotel next door) which was better. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town and there is a free shuttle bus to the gondola you need to check the timetable, there is a HUGE queue for the gondola so we found it better to wait until 10 o clock for the queues to die down. Usual rudeness and lack of respect and organization in the queue it's a bit of a free for all. Really liked it at this hotel not sure about Bansko though I think I prefer Borovets. Be aware that the 'takeaway' breakfast on the last day cannot be consumed on the bus which is a bit disappointing considering the 3 hour transfer. Also the luggage door came open on the transfer home and the luggage spilled on to the carriage way, suitcases were wrecked and the Neilson rep managed a 'disappearing' act she was absolutely useless and a complete waste of space and I can't express enough just how useless she was. We had queued for 15 minutes in the wrong queue before we realized and where was the rep? Outside chatting!
I would recommend the hotel but not the resort. Go to Borovets instead, the ski rental with Neilson is for beginners so beware it's not possible to upgrade without paying 100 Leva.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

If you're looking for a clean, tidy hotel in a great location for the ski lift in Bansko, you won't go far wrong with the Guinness.

I stayed during February 2014, (Welsh half term) with my wife and two children, aged 9 and 7. Both the kids were first time skiers, though my wife and I have been a few times before.

The resort itself leaves a lot to be desired, and if I'm honest, so do the ski runs and the ski schools, but this review is about the hotel, so, in my opinion, for value for money, you won't do much better in Bulgaria.

The room was very spacious, with clean bedding and towels. We were greeted on arrival by a very pleasant porter who helped with our bags and brought us a small picnic buffet each...(which was very welcome as we had been travelling all day)

Breakfast is taken in the large restaurant and is buffet style, with a large choice of continental style meats and cheeses, cereals, fruit, or all the makings of a full English if you like. This, along with pastries and bread for toast, yoghurt etc...and all the juice / tea / coffee you can drink. I really couldn't fault the breakfast and nor could the kids !
Evening meals are taken in the same restaurant, and are also buffet style with a wide range of both Eastern European and othe styles of food, including starters, mains and desserts.

The lobby has a large, central area consisting of large sofas surrounding a large fireplace containing a large, roaring log fire. This was a really nice feature and made the hotel smell beautiful after a long day on the slopes.

We used the hotels pool most evenings, and although a bit on the chilly side, the adjacent sauna and steam room was welcome relief after skiing all day.

All in all, the hotel was very good for both facilities and value for money. The location of the Guinness is excellent, less than five minutes from the gondola station and the same distance from Pirin Street, the Main Street of Bansko which leads to Old Bansko.

A couple of negatives about the hotel would be the fact that rooms contain small kitchenettes with a fridge and two ring electric hob - excellent for making a cuppa, the reception even supplied a kettle and a couple of mugs (after a few requests) however, the hob wouldn't work. When I asked why, I was told that we weren't allowed to make our own hot drinks, strange that reception gave me the kettle and then told me I couldn't use it...and...
The layout of the hotels rooms is such that the bedrooms face out onto the central hotel lobby, which proved less than ideal on a few nights during the week when music quizzes and film nights were being held - quite noisy.

In summary, the hotel, (by Bulgarian standards) is very nice, the staff very helpful and the food of a good standard. It is in a great location and is very good value for money.

I wouldn't choose to visit Bansko again, but if I did need to go back, I would return to the Guinness Hotel without hesitation.

Oregon
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I just returned from a week in this hotel. Room was big, clean an conveniently fitted with cabinet and hangers for al my winter and ski stuff. There is a kitchenette, I used it for coffee/tea only. If you plan for more, you will need to bring tools. Bathroom was big and clean. The Hotel is well placed, close to the gondola, even closer to the Mall with a supermarket. Food was acceptable, do not expect gourmet food, but there were always many choices on the buffet, to fix me a good breakfast or dinner. The staff, mainly the lobby officers were all very efficient, smiling and responsive with good English. Honestly, I expected much less. Lobby looks great, kind of "inviting" atmosphere, was easy for me to join others and sit around the fireplace and do my daily mails and phone needs.
I did not use the SPA facilities or participated the entertainment programs, therefore I can not rate them. Wi-Fi was working only in the Lobby area and I had some connectivity problems This I real recommend to be upgraded. Bansko is a medium/ small size ski resort. Still I found great slopes for good skiers to enjoyed a great week.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed with my husband and three children during February half term. The rooms were lovely, spacious and clean, with a great view of the mountains. I thought the food was of a good standard with plenty of choice. The waiters were a bit surly and hoovered over you to whisk your plates away as soon as you had finished which was a bit off putting. The lobby and bar area was a great place to relax in the evening and the games room ideal for the children. The proximity to the gondela was very important as we certainly didn't want to walk far with all our ski stuff, and it was nice to be so close to the centre of town without having noise issues. So I would definitely recommend this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have been to many ski hotels in my time and this is one of the best, good clean rooms, breakfast and dinner were very tasty and catered for all, lobby was well designed and always had a warming feel which was ideal after a day of being cold! really glad we stayed there and would definitively stay there again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Not quite sure what hotel achieves by providing free WIFI (often unusable at busy times) in the lobby, and expensive access if you want it available in your room. Other than that, food was okay - breakfast very busy some days, as it starts at 07.30 and everyone wants to clear hotel early to try to beat the Gondola queues. Good location. Room was comfortable, nice shower with plenty of hot water. I wouldn't stay again - just because of the internet - it should be a basic amenity in this day and age. The lobby also looks nice. Unfortunately it acts as an echo chamber for the bingo which goes on till ten at night.

1 Thank Neil P

Travelers are raving about these Bansko hotels