“4 star hotel?? SURE??”

Ranked #8 of 95 Hotels in Bansko
Thessaloniki, Greece
“4 star hotel?? SURE??”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I spend my holidays there on January.. The hotel was good as a 4 star hotel, the rooms was excellent, very very clean as my friend and I, checked every single corner xaxa. Still love the singing voice, I heard when I had a bath!! We booked 2 rooms, very comfortable both of them but if those 2 rooms supposed to be for 2 different couples, it would't be the best idea as they had common balcony without any separator. Although we were all together so it wasn't a big deal for us, moreover, made our communication easier. The dinner was fab, with variety of meat, vegetables, spaghetti and many other tasty delicacies. The breakfast was not the best, the bread, actually was from last night, as we understood. Oh and of course the Spa!! We hadn't many options,the only facilities was hamam & sauna and of course it wasnt THE EXPERIENCE. I expected more. To be honest, the spa wasn't clean. The ladies who worked there (in the spa) had nothing else to do, except gossip in bulgarian so we couldn't relax. This matter disincline me, not to try their therapies. Furthermore, the pool was cold. The spa-receptionist couldn't speak english. I'm not sure if she could understand. LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Although I'm wondering about the exchange, as they have a standard every-day, it's not up to the bank. Last but not least is the staff!! I haven't meet so rude people. The reception behaved like they don't want us there. Oh my God, I'll never forget the rude receptionist, the day we arrived, who made me want to return home! But the staff in the restaurant was better, enough. I'd like also to add that Ι distinguished the best waiter there, very polite and smily. So extraordinary...The check in & check out wasn't long. But we had to wait for anything else, in our orders for: slippers(5 leva :P), wine,whisky,water,more wine more water....so, in every order! Actually, in my last order for water they asked me to wait for 30 mins as they were busy. :O In our rooms we didn't find many informations for the hotel and the spa as the reception told us, and we couldn't ask for further informations as it was obvious that they didn't want to give them. So I'm totally diasspointed! I suggest the hotel for those who have strong nerves xaxa. If the staff was different and the spa more mmmm.. elegant it would be a good idea to visit it! I believe that, in hotels we pay the luxury of the staff. Smily faces, helpfull people...this is luxury. The chairs are not made from gold. This kind of people make me smile more, have more fun and of course pleasant memories.. Thanks God u made me so strict! xaxaxa bb friends

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tinamas90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2011

What could have been a very enjoyable stay was spoilt by 2 main factors. The noise in the corridors at night, particularly between midnight and 2 pm, was totally unacceptable. Every conversation seemed to be conducted at full volume and none of the guests had grasped the fact that doors could be shut by moving the handle and, as a result, they were always slammed. Secondly, background music should be 'in the background' not 'in your face', making coversation almost impossible. High volume music in the reception area bar wasof a genre much more suited to a disco or nightclub with a volume to match. One other disapponting factor was that the reception staff were only allowed to provide one key for double occupancy rooms; not something I would have expected from what purports to be a 4 star hotel. Apart from that, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was tasty, with a good selection of local style food.
Although the hotel has no control over this, it worth a mention if you are thinking of Bansko as a sking destination; the maintanace of the ski slopes was poor. All the eqipment was being utilised to prepare one run for the Grand Prix event due to take place the next weekend, leaving a rockery in the middle of the blue slopes and sheets of ice on the reds. There is no point them advertising 80% snow machine coverage if they aren't prepared to use them.
As the title suggests, it could have been so much better.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chiefstoker
northeast
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Great hotel, very clean, Food given on late arrival and early checkouts. Rooms large and clean, Kingsize bed, bath with shower. Rooms can get hot over night, Bar open till late, with open fires in reception... Pool is cooler but this is what you get in bulgaria as stated in brochures, all very clean and well kept, great sauna and steam room. Recommend massages, i had 2 full body massages lasting 45 mins for about £21 each time, amazing after skiing! Food was what you usually get on holiday, No complaints and did change dishes throughout the week, if you dont like hotel food then dont book half board. Staff werent all happy and friendly but by the looks of it they work long shifts. cleaners were fab always spoke and smiled. not all were miserable, and were fine when you actually spoke to them. Massage girls were lovely too. Bus every ten minutes at reception to take you to ski lifts and ski hire. On your first day, ours was a monday, queues were large for collecting your equipment so get there between 8-8.30(ski school starts at 10am), and takes about 20mins on lift to bottom of slopes. ski school 10-3 lunching at 12pm, first day lunch at 1pm. For beginners and kids also look into a blue run which can be found by getting off the ski lift up at the half way point. was fab but we only found on the last day. Bars to go to happy end and lion bar was fab, amigios, the friendly bar are the main ones. Lion bar seemed to be busiest at 9 onwards. we ate down the old town, check the streets off to the sides, food was bulgarian and amazing! Def would recommend resort and hotel esp. for beginners/intermediates. excellent value for money, i only spent £150 inc massages for the week, Beers can be found for between 3-6lev CHEAP!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank blueeyesNortheast
Craiova, Romania
Reviewed February 6, 2011

The water in the pool was incredible cold ! We told them that some children from our group even got a flu, but they didn't seem to care too much ! In fact, nothing has changed in the water temperature during our holiday! Balcanic style !

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Fetescuu
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Myself and my husband are beginner to intermediate boarders and have only ever boarded in Canada before this trip.
The hotel is lovely, very big, clean and welcoming. The rooms are large and the facilities good. We only went in the pool once as it was on the cold side, even the jacuzzi was the same, it would have been nice to have a good hot soak at the end of the day. The rooms are great but the corridors are noisy with banging doors that tend to wake you when people come in late at night or go out early in the morning.
Re the food, apart from breakfast I can't really fault it for a 4 star hotel. Always plenty of choice and tasty. Beakfast was very...well....Bulgarian, but what else can you expect. Perfectly edible and filling if a little odd to an Brit palette (salamis, salads etc).
My main 'moan' with the holiday was the attitude of staff and foreign tourists. We werent told that it was Romanian half term and I can honestly say that I have never met such rude people. They were pushy and rude (one man even heard saying 'stupid English) not only in the hotel but also on the mountain (I was actually pushed over from behind whilst boarding a blue run). The Bulgarians are not much better, if you can manage a smile than you are a better person than me!
There are queues for the gondola all morning. It was fairly icey at the time we went but there would be some great runs if the weather was good.
All in all; hotel was lovely, people misrable and very pushy. Good for a cheap holiday and to experience Bulgaria but I would try somehwere else in preference of here in future

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah1982_28
Guildford, SY
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend and two friends for a week of snowboarding at the beginning of February 2011. Having chosen this hotel as part of a package deal with Crystal, we read reviews after booking - which were admittedly mixed.
Hand on heart, I can say I think this was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in - very clean, the staff were very friendly, our rooms (we had a double with a balcony and the others had a twin room) were nice and spacious.
The only slight bug-bear was that the corridors echoed a lot during the night, so you heard all the doors shutting, but I only really noticed this on the first night - but felt it's worth mentioning.
For us the swimming pool, sauna and steam room were free to use - which was perfect after a long day on the slopes! The girls in the spa were lovely and I had my nails done for 35Lev (the works, roughly £15 which I think is brilliant value).
The mexana restaurant in the basement (traditional Bulgarian, NOT Mexican) was brilliant. The four of us went for a meal and had a drink there which cost about 50Lev (roughly £25!).
The surrounding town was friendly and felt safe - was nice to have a wander around and a few beers (which were between 2-4Lev each depending on pub).

• Stayed February 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2011

We booked the Lion with Crystal as what we read seemed reasonable (i get that some people have more issues than others) plus we could get more for our money than say in mainland europe. The resort on paper looked great for a complete beginner snowboarder (me) & my bf whose done a bit before.

After a speedy minibus transfer (2.5 hrs from Sofia) we got to the hotel about 10pm where we were offered food and shown our room. No kidding the bed was huge, spacious bathroom and balcony (we werent expecting that!) with a view of the mountains. The only let down was the heat with no obvious way of controlling it, except by leavin the balcony door open. We also found the balcony useful for keeping water and juice cold as the minibar fridge didnt seem very cold. We got a bit bored of the buffet so ate out a few nights.

Bansko does seem overdeveloped for the resort. Whilst we were there, we had one day where there was a dusting of snow. Other than that, nought (tho they do have snow cannons to keep some runs open). The worst day for the gondola was sunday as everyone was collecting kit as well as trying to head up for lessons. That was the low part as everyone seemed to head for the gondola at 9am so usually a bit of a wait (nothing like 3 hours we've read on here). From the 4th day we opted for a lie in and to head up bout 10:30 and waited the marathon 5 -10mins. This was partly due to both of us having boards and each gondola only taking two and everyone else jammin skis in so you couldnt access the board slot. Be warned, its manic and every man for himself!!!!
About 2/3 of the mountain was open in our week and by the end of the week id completed all the available blues. Wouldnt have wanted much more time there unless more snow fell as some runs got icy and rocky.
Do recommend the run back to town, tho by 3pm it gets really busy with skiers so if not confident, head down earlier.

Big thumbs up to Harrys Bar. What a gem. Friendly and comfortable with the largest cocktail/drinks list ive seen. Plus the foods good too, quite reasonable (but i wouldnt say cheap...on par with UK)
We had a great time, tho prob wont be going back to bulgaria or bansko (esp if bansko was the best resort for boarders). Lion was good for us and good value for what we paid.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple