“Superb Hotel... Nice and Warm!”
Review of Strazhite Hotel

Strazhite Hotel
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Bansko
Reviewed June 3, 2012

First time in Bansko and Bulgaria. Didn't really know what to expect but this was way better than I could ever imagine. It's definetly not a 5 star palace, however this is a very good 4 star hotel! We arrived late at night to a cold Bulgarian packed lunch which was pretty awful, cold sausages and stale bread. Next morning we woke up to a far better breakfast with hot and cold foods. Very Russian orientated however there were eggs and bacon etc. Food overall was pretty good. I never went hungry. Our room was pretty basic but spacious and nice and warm! We had a superb balcony that looked over the central gardens! It was superb in that it was only a 5/10 minute walk to the goldola (TIP: GET UP EARLY AS IN 7AM AND BE AT THE GOLDOLA FOR 8AM TO AVOID UP TO 2 HOUR QUES JUST TO GET UP THE HILL!!! NO QUE AT 8AM!!!)
Resort is very Russian/Polish/Greek orientated however I never felt uncomfortable and had a great time! Check out OXYGEN nightclub! We went with Balkan Holidays and I definitely recommend going on their bar crawl! The Irish bar just up from the gondola station, next to the HEAD shop is also another great night!
Will be returning January '13!

Room Tip: Request room facing central gardens at rear of hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank GlasgowNick

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I've stayed in Bansko a few times and this hotel really surprised me! The price was quite cheap and it was a lovely hotel.
Right in the middle of it all, so great to walk out at night, and easy to get up to the slopes.
The pool, Sauna and steam room were all great! (although the pool a little cold!)
The food was quite nice, obviously its the typical stuff you get in a Bulgarian hotel, but there was always something on the buffet that was nice. The only bad thing was the breakfast, i struggled finding something to eat, the cooked breaky didn't look too great and there wasn't much cereal, fruit or yoghurts etc!!

Bankso is a great resort for skiing, however in recent years its become busier and busier! The que was around 2 hours for the ski lift every morning.... We avoided this by getting taxi or even a (paid) lift off a local everyday, and sometimes shared with others. This isn't the safest route, I can tell you but it was well worth it, we got up in 20 mins and it was comfier!!!

Would defiantly stay here again!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Good points
- good location, only 5/10 mins walk uphill to the gondola
- rooms are spacious and clean
- pool, steam room and sauna worth a visit
Bad points
- the attitude of most of the staff was absolutely disgusting. They never even cracked a smile and were downright rude if you needed to ask them a question!
- the food was awful, I've stayed in many hotels around the world (including bulgaria) and know that the food in cheap hotels isn't always the best but the food here was by far the worst I've ever experienced. For two days during our stay there was some kind of official bulgarian sports team staying at the hotel and what do u know the food was amazing, with loads to choose From. However as soon as the team left it was back to the same old awful food. This shows that they are capable of producing nice food but just don't bother unless VIPs are staying.
- it is ridiculously hot with all the radiators on full blast constantly!

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again because of the food and lack of customer service skills from staff. I also don't think I would return to Bansko. The resort itself is nice once your on the slopes, but the gondola situation is horrendous. If your not there before half 8 don't bother trying until after 11 as you'll have to que for hours! Be prepared to wrestle with the Bulgarians because they don't do queing and getting on the gondola is complete chaos! It's such a shame that this is the only way to access the slopes as it's put me off ever going back!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank victoria c
Reviewed March 31, 2012

after a long bad journey from the airport to the hotel, when we pulled up outside the hotel looked so nice with twinkly lights! even the reception area looked nice, the lady at reception was helpful, as we arrived late at night you got a packed meal not nice at all, went straight in the bin, but a nice gesture! the room was clean with a balcony on the main street, DO NOT STAY in the these rooms, they are so noisy, bin men at 4-5am and boy do they make a noise, people leaving the pubs all night, and early hours even at the same time of the bin men!! not much sleep for the whole week! beds not comfortable, pillows not good either! breakfast was ok you could always have toast, but the meals on an evening not good at all, we went out every night, then there was a seminar and even though we went out for food, other guests did tell us that there was a banquet, the next morning breakfast was wonderful a nice selection of yoghurts, cereal and cooked was very good, I asked the waiter why was the food so good today, his reply was we have some guests we need to impress, I asked him why could they not impress us guests, but he said NO!! not really what you want to hear from them. On friday which was our last day skiing, I asked at reception where to find the bus back to the hotel from the gondola, I have never been spoken to this way by a member of staff from a hotel, it was so bad, I did speak with the balken rep, but nothing much happended!! would I go back to bulgaria for skiing YES!! would i stay at this hotel probably not!!!

Room Tip: do not stay at the front of the hotel, we had room 323, other family members in 321, both had the sa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2012

An average hotel, good value due to the cheap deal. However the service left a lot to be desired, surly and uncooperative. The head waiter Mikail actually grabbed a glass of water taken from a badly hidden water dispenser in the restaurant out of my hand and said that I had to BUY water instead from the bar. Unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bumblebeeca
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Myself & my son have just returned from a week in this establishment after a last minute booking due to no available flights to the alps. Our initial impression of the hotel was very good and with an amazingly "lodge" style entrance with roaring fire felt we were in good hands & on that occasion we received good service from the girl behind reception. The travel lodge style bedroom was clean but didn't have a balcony which we specifically requested & the same girl behind reception helpfully agreed that once some guests had left overnight that we could move rooms no problem & that she'd leave a note for her colleague in the morning. Following morning the youngish man with short hair behind reception, who seemed put out by my even disturbing him, said that it was not possible to move rooms & that there was no note from night before. No appologies about no note or that we could'nt move just stone faced rude arogant diabolicle customer service that literally left me speechless. i could go on but essentially with the odd exception from some female staff all other staff in this place act like whatever you do, you'r putting them out, and as a guest in a so-called 4* hotel this needs to be addressed. The buffet style food is of the same standard, low grade slop found in a 1-2* hotel and again customer service was between rude & non-existant albeit in quite nice surroundings. On the plus side as many have reviewed, the spa area and general cleanliness of the hotel is very good & it's fairly well postioned to the gondola with a 5 minute uphill walk. So in summary, an impressive hotel in many ways let down by dreadfull food and the worst customer service i have ever seen in the world.

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony facing the mountain, BUT expect to be frowned at.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

2 mates and myself have just got back from a great weeks skiing in bansko.we are all at a different level and all enjoyed it.the hotel was good not quite a 4* but clean and tidy all the same.its a little better than a holiday inn type hotel but you have sport and film channels in your room as well as a mini bar and room service.the steam / sauna rooms are good as is the pool,the only thing that lets the hotel down is the food.the trouble is its not the only place because looking around the restaurants weren't that much better either and only found the Victoria was the only restaurant we would eat at.saying that generally we could eat enough of the breakfast to fill ourselves up then eat out at night so a bed and breakfast option would be a good idea.that said we only paid about £600 for a weeks skiing including boots skis and tuition so all in value for money

• Stayed: March 2012