“Nice hotel, horrible services and staff”

Green Life Ski & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 95 Hotels in Bansko
Bucharest, Romania
“Nice hotel, horrible services and staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The Green life Hotel is located at the very end of Bansko, about 1 km distance from the ski center. Regarding its position, it takes someone about 20 minutes to reach the city center. The road, however beautiful during daytime , it's(unbelievable) not illuminated and can cause some pretty horror walks during the night (after 6.00 PM). A cab will charge you about 5 EUR for the road.

The rooms were basic for this kind of resort. Our room (D10) was smaller than any other rooms, and although it was situated at the 1st floor, it didn't have a balcony. The TV was very old, and the bath was very small ( about 2 square metres ). Also, the central heating was turned off, and we had to heat the room using an electric heater which was not up to the task, despite the (relative) hot temperatures outside (5-8 degrees in Jan), and the room was somehow cold. Another disturbing fact was the lack of electrical outlets in the bathroom. There was a separate hair dryer available, but no outlet for it in the bath. There was however an outlet in the room, but it was in vain, because there was no mirror. So do not try to dry your hair in that room.

About the food, we had breakfast and dinner there, for 5 days and there were some bright and some not so bright spots. The cold food (salads, fruits, dairy, etc) was very tasty, especially the cheese and the tomatoes. The hot food was sometimes good and tasty, sometimes horrible. There were also some kid's dishes available, but, if you're looking for average healthy food, it is a no-go.

The Spa was very nice and I enjoyed my regular after-ski sauna and swimming. The water in the pool could use some more degrees, but that's not a deal breaker. There were 3 types of sauna available, and some other tricky stuff. The gym, on the other hand, was not usable. It only had about 10 square metres, and only one dumbbell. So, don't travel there thinking that you will be using the gym.

Above all this, was the New Year's Eve dinner. It was a disaster. We were informed on the 30th December that we (20 people) will be located on the main room, were is the lobby situated. But on the 31th December, at 8:00 PM, we were told that we will stay at the first floor, because of a late group who booked only the dinner, and they took our place in the lounge. When I asked for our table on the first floor, the staff was not able to track my room, but, when I told them I'm from Romania, they told me that my place was at the so-called "Romanian's Table". Talk about racism. After we made a scene regarding our table (we wanted to stay in the lobby, as promised) they "did everything they could" and arranged two tables for us right in front of the reception, at around 9:30 PM. After this, they offered their excuses and a bottle of whiskey. However, the night was far from over. The food was always late, and while the other tables were serving the 3rd dish, we were receiving our first. But everything was cold, and at about 11 45 PM, 15 minutes until 2014, we had only a salad and a bad champagne. I called the restaurant manager, requesting my money back, but, apparently, "there is nothing I can do". I even called the hotel manager, and he was very angry, and, let's say, not very polite. To add up, we only had 1 Coke, 1 glass of Wine and 1 glass of cheap Champagne included in the not-so-cheap-75 EUR dinner. All in all, the dinner was a disaster to say the least.

The staff was not trained to recognize our wishes, they(with a few exceptions) were not very polite and they don't speak English. They also allowed expensive cars to park right in the front of the hotel, were the cabs are supposed to leave the customers, blocking the access with skis and not allowing the cars parked on the parking spots to move.

In conclusion, I will give this hotel 1*, especially because of the disastrous New Year's Eve dinner. If not for that dinner, I would rate it 3*. Regardless, I will never set foot in this hotel again, and I will recommend against it every time someone asks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank NituG91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Green Life is a totally NO GO. We went there for 3 days, for New Year’s Eve and had the worst experience ever. The hotel is more like a 2 star one, than a 4*.
- the food is HORRIBLE!! We had breakfast and dinner there, and everything was cold, old and not tasty. The morning coffee is the most awful thing I tasted. And the New Year’s dinner was in the same style - not at all worth the money.
- not enough parking spaces for all the guests
- the pool is very small, and again, not enough for all the guests (same as for the gym, it can only fit 3 people at a time) and they make you pay for robes & slippers
- the staff is trained so that they don’t allow you to do anything: not even leave the restaurant with an orange in your hand, or play games in the lobby… very unfriendly. They barely speak English, so you can hardly communicate with anyone.
- the Internet connection is barely working
- the location is nice (there is a nice view), but you need a car to get into Bansko (or a 20’ walk), or use their bus. Also beware, the Google Map doesn’t send you in the right place, we found the hotel pretty hard.
- the rooms are pretty basic. They have a kitchenette but is not equipped (and if you ask for a small pot to make some tea, they bring you the whole package and charge you 100 Euros - it is crazy!)

So Green Life IS NOT the place to go if you want to have a nice, good quality vacation. It may be cheap - but there’s a reason why. Definitely not a 4* experience you would expect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dana M
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was thinking about booking this hotel for a 1-week stay in January 2014. Before making my final decision I called to the reception to find out if the hotel can arrange a baby-sitter for my child of 8 months old. Just for a few hours every day, for an additional charge, of course. Before starting my conversation I did ask if she spoke English. She did say "Yes". Eben though I tried to speak slowly and clear, she was asking me questions leading to making a booking. After I repeated my question about a baby-sitter a few more times, she still did not get my request and eventually hung up on me!! Terrible attitude, terrible service! I have no idea how they deal with foreign guests?!! Well, I am not going to that hotel ever, that's for sure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Irene T
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Arrived at the hotel at around 12.30pm, which was normal that the room might not have been ready yet, due to the arrivals before us. So, we waited a bit, as there were lots of people at the reception from various travel groups. Eventually we got a room at the D building. First impression was good. Nice, spacious room BUT the heating was very very poor. I doubt it that the temperature was more than 13-15 degrees inside. The central heating was off, and there were only two heaters for the whole studio, which were obviously not enough. By the way, we are coming from Northern Greece and know what cold weather is, we are not coming from any southern island that is not used to cold weather! They confirmed from the reception that they'll take care of this. They reconfirmed a second time at around 14.00pm and a third time to our group leader at around 15.00. At 17.30 we returned to the hotel and guess what? There was no extra heating device as promised three times! The manager responded there was nothing they could do, but offer us extra blankets! He offered to come with us in the room and check the temperature and when I asked "why", he said because it could be 30 degrees! Right... so we are an abnormal couple, having 30C inside our room, but we are still cold!

Surprisingly enough, when I mentioned TripAdvisor... another room was offered to us, while a few moments ago, there was nothing they could do! I totally appreciate the change to a warm room and the manager needs to be congratulated about this! However, we were alread a bit annoyed!
The dinner at the restaurant was pretty good BUT the girl , we asked to pay to bill to, could not separate our drinks to two different bills, as she said (we were two couples). Surprisingly enough, when I mentioned it to the manager, he said no problem at all! Ha!

We stayed at the lobby during the evening for coffee. Euros were not accepted! We stayed later for drinks...euros were later accepted!!!!! Upon check out, I asked to pay for some drinks we had, euros were not accepted again! ONLY Leva or credit cards! Our friend went after me to the reception and said I have no credit card or leva....then euros were happilly accepted!!! The conclusions on this are yours!

The breakfast was also good, however there needs to be a better organisation during peak times. They made a good effort, it was just not enough due to the masses of people .

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel with great possibilities, but a lot needs to be done on organisation issues and professionalism.

One thing I should NOT forget to mention. On our way out of the hotel, we stayed at the lobby for an hour or so. I've been informed by the manager that I forgot my iphone charging in the room and they offered to bring it back! A huge thank about this.

I wouldn't mind to stay here again, as long as I had a warm room from the beginning. It would not be my first option though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jmal127
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Comfortable hotel, slightly off-center. Particular charm: a great sleep, silence but 15 min access to busy streets by foot plus but regular shuttle service, forest views, relaxing apres-ski spa.The cozy apartments, large ski rent and storage, a large free car park, reliable Wi-Fi in rooms

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have been to this complex two times. First we came in winter for skying. There is a sky storage and a shuttle, which takes you to the lift in the morning and back in the evening. The apartment was warm and comfortable, after the skying we enjoyed the sauna. It takes 10 minutes to walk to the center, but we even liked it. We were told by our neighbors , that summer vacation in Bansko is even better, than a winter one, So we came the following summer to the same complex, and we never regret that. There are many paths in mountains of different difficulty levels, so we first walked to the lakes on the easiest, and finally took quite long one. It is amazingly beautiful! And you enjoy breathing this air! The complex in the summer was also very nice, with 2 swimming pools, SPA. We also appreciated the parking. ANd what we liked the most, is the affordable prices for everything plus incredible Bulgarian food - try 4 hours cocked lamb - I can't forget it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The GL hotel is situated at the foothill of the mountain in the very end of Bansko town.... Few minutes away from restaurants shops, ski lift... etc. which makes it a quite yet convenient part of town to be.
The hotel given 4 Stars and made in a style of ski lodge "sort of" like most of the hotels in Bansko with the use of wood & stone in the exterior... More wood usage in the lobby area and a big fireplace in the middle giving that feel of cosiness. Staff where very friendly and eager to help although with limited English. Hotel comes with Indoor & outdoor pools, games room, kids play room to keep the pre-schoolers entrained for a while Hotel is kept clean through out which was nice.
Bed Rooms where big enough but the bathroom was tiny in comparison with usual fitting issues like lose towel rail, wrongly positioned TP holder, water from the tap collects on the wall side (u get the picture) this issues many hotels in Bulgaria suffer with it as if DIY person finished up the work something I don't really get.
The TV was i think a 24 inch LCD place on a very low table combined with grainy & mostly non English Channels makes u not want to watch TV.
Not many parking spots so that could be an issue during busy season also the restaurant had limited seating and the food was average at best.
All & all a very good hotel which I recommend however with small issues that if u are mentally prepared for won't matter

• Stayed August 2013