“Jan / Feb 12”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Mr Singhs Curryoke
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Mr Singhs Curryoke restaurant is situated in the Lion hotel on the basement floor. Offering authentic indian and European cuisine. They play all live sporting events from 5 large screens and have entertainment every evening, hosted by their resident British entertainer. They offer promotions on food and drink. Its a great evening out and should be tried at while in Bansko.
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We enjoyed the food, which was excellent (a very interesting menu!). Good price and not too expensive, with the in-house music creating an everlasting memory.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

This was the loacl bar to our apartment.
Serves a wide cjioce of beer....shows football.
Sadly turned of football so owner could singh in a scouse accent a number os songs. Then a few Germans sang some songs really badly and then the football was turned back on.

Didnt eat there as only called in for a late night beer

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I visited Mr Singh's twice during a skiing trip Jan 2012. After two unsuccessful nights' meals trying out the local bulgarian mehanas (being vegetarian perhaps doesn't help!), I was desperate for a decent evening meal. Mr Singh's definitely came to the rescue. OK it's not a top notch Indian restaurant, I've been to better in the UK; but I've also been to many worse!
I had onion bhaji to start, followed by veg balti/veg madras (I went 2 nights). Overall I would say good food, service & value for money.

3  Thank max_mcholmes
Reviewed January 12, 2012

A simple, familiar pub/restaurant environment with a pleasant atmosphere. Staff were attentive and professional and English was spoken. The live music was a welcome addition - lots of crowd pleasers but not too loud for mealtimes - and the background playlist in between was well put together.
Above all, My Singh's deserves recognition for bringing something new to Bansko - an Indian restaurant at last. And plenty of choice for vegetarians, for a change.
Only one issue with the food - the dips served with the poppadoms weren't entirely authentic. They should have included a lime/mango chutney and skipped the redundant Mexican-style salsa.

The bill:
We paid about BLG 90 for a veg bhuna, a prawn madras, a lamb vindaloo (recommended), dal, pilau rice, popadoms, dips, naan, a bottle of red wine, bottled water and a double brandy.

1  Thank Alexa888
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We’ve just returned from another visit to Bansko and I thought I’d drop you a line about our Curry Experiences.

We had heard great things about Mr Singh’s Curryokey opening underneath The Lion Hotel and though I had my doubts about it’s chavvy name and the associated connotations of drunken brits screeching "I will survive" at the tops of their voices, I was talked into giving it a go .... the enthusiasm of our friends who live and work in Bansko, who had attended the grand opening encouraging me to throw all caution to the wind!

The entrance to the restaurant is down a steep staircase, tiled wet and a little slippy. We received a somewhat bewildered welcome by the several staff stood around the bar before being led to a table.

The tacky, brightly coloured menus with the “humorous" (?) headings was a complete oxymoron to the prices of the dishes it offered! 9-17 Lev for a curry – rice and breads all extra! 4 poppdoms, 4 main meals, 2 rice, 1 naan + 2 drinks each cost over 100 Lev.

The poppadoms were cold and dripping in oil, tasteless and not very crispy – surprising considering the amount of time we had to wait for them.

The main courses were on the small side, and luke warm. I ordered the Chicken Jalfrezi and not as pepper in sight – though there was a chilli, Jalfrezi literally means “dry fried” but this was very saucy and oily. My partner ordered the Chicken Bhuna which was luke warm with 5 small chunks of chicken ... our friends ordered the Chicken Korma which was cold, and the Chicken Tikka Masala which was incredibly oily. The Naan bread was inedible.

The staff were stood around chatting between themselves and I had trouble catching their attention – when they did eventually arrive at the table and I complained the meals were cold, they took two of the meals and microwaved them for us - Brilliant – Reheated – Ever tried crispy masala?!

The Service was extremely poor, the food was cold, greasy and overpriced, we ended up with Delhi Belly and missed a day on the slopes – the only thing I would recommend about Mr Singh’s Curryokey is to give it a very wide berth ....

However! If you do want a fabulous curry experience in Bansko I do know the perfect place ....

On the Thursday evening we booked into the Avalon Hotel for the curry evening ... and what a fantastic night we had ... the staff were attentive, the food was exquisite ...

Poppadoms and pickles were served at the tables, followed by onion bhajis and the most delicious, fresh samosas I have tasted for some time!

Jugs of banana lassi were provided ... something I had not tried before but I can highly recommend!

Then the main courses were served buffet style. Boiled rice, light, fluffy and hot - A beef vindaloo which I have to say was the best I have ever tasted (and being from Bradford I have tried a fair few!), Chicken Balti, Chicken Korma, Sag Aloo and Daal – all for 25 Lev a head!

Outstanding value for money and outstanding service. The atmosphere was friendly, every seat at every table was full – there was plenty of food to go around and all the food was incredibly fresh, tasty and hot.

The only reason I would not recommend a Curry Night at the Avalon would be in case there wasn’t enough room for me!!!
Report to moderator