“We stayed at the sister Chalet - Chalet Mila, wish we hadn't!”
Review of Chalet Mila

Chalet Mila
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bansko
Chalet Mila
Ranked #1 of 109 Specialty Lodging in Bansko
London, United Kingdom
“We stayed at the sister Chalet - Chalet Mila, wish we hadn't!”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

OK, it was cheap, much cheaper than the Alps, but we've stayed in catered chalets before and can compare that staying at Chalet Mila, though cheap, was still not good value for money.

It's a pretty chalet, in an ugly resort and the communal dining area did have a cosy, homely feel; but they squashed too many adults (17 or 18 in 2 different parties) into 7 or 8 rooms. We knew that some rooms were tripples when we booked, but what surprised us was that whilst a big fuss was made during the welcome intro from the hosts to take our boots off inside, to leave our bins outside as a signal to the maid that we didn't want our rooms cleaned etc. noone stepped foot in our rooms to clean the whole week. I'm not so precious to expect my bed to be made everyday, but not cleaning a wetroom, used twice daily by 3 adults meant that it was grubby immediately. (I'm not sure what they maid did, certainly no cleaning of bedrooms or bathrooms). And note that they are wet rooms, there are no baths. Each wet room is essentially a shower head over a toilet.

There was often no hot water. We were told that it would be hot first thing and apres ski. But it was only hot long enough for maybe 6 people to shower. I had more cold (not warm, cold) showers than hot. In the end I went to a hotel spa to have a hot shower.

The neighbours had several dogs and cockerels who howelled all night, none of us slept properly the full week. In fairness, this is beyond the hosts' control. But be warned - it is VERY noisy, all night long.

The food was mostly appalling, with the exception of most of the cakes, which weren't bad. OK, Steph and Tim the hosts are not trained chefs, but this was their third season, cooking the same menu week in and week out, they should have leaned how to cook each dish by now, but most of it was ineidable. Especailly bad was anything made with pastry (always undecooked and just tased of raw dough) and the breakfast eggs (boiled eggs were too raw for anyone, fried eggs too runny for most (runny whites too), scrambled eggs over cooked, the plain omlettes were OK though).

Afternoon tea scones were runny raw in the middle too.

We found a mouse in the breadbin one morning and were told 'yeah, that happens all the time'. Although they did pop out to buy more bread.

Breakfasts were (badly cooked) eggs, not-so-good local cereals, porridge made with water (more like gruel), instant coffee (not even Nescafe, just cheap granuels), never enough fruit (everyday we had to ask for more bananas, the only decent carbs available for breakfast) and bread for toast with margarine (and james, homey & choclate spread). We often had to ask for more bread too.

Dinner was promised at 7 - 7.30pm. On the first night they served the starter at 9.40pm. Most other nights they did manage to start around 7.30ish, but we usually waited 25 mins between courses. Portions were erratic: one person would get 1 tiny (inedible) fishcake and the next person got 3. Most nights we were left hungry, not just because the food was horrid, but also because the portions were so small (many of us were hungry enough to eat anything).

The menu combinations were weird: 'Thai' fishcakes with potato dauphinoise and green beans anyone? (the fishcakes were nothing like Thai or any other fishcakes I've ever had) Brandy cream (warm milk with a drop of brandy) with some chicken thing.

Steph and Tim were pleasant enough people, but not really up to the 'hosting' job, especially if they can't get it right after 3 seasons!

They were great offering lifts to the gondolas and back in the evneings (we mostly didn't bother) and tried hard with things like a quiz night and offering to take anyone who wanted out on a pub crawl. And playing bad trancy house music (that you might have heard at a full moon party 15 years ago when feelong 'worse for wear' and therefore not realise it's rubbish) at dinner time.

I'm afraid I'd suggest you avoid Chalet Mila whilst it's being hosted as above.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank missisclack
ChaletMila, Manager at Chalet Mila, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
I took the liberty of contacting the group who stayed during the above week and received the following response which speaks for itself. It is both fair and accepts the above review for what it is.

Firstly, my apologies for this negative review. Until your email, I knew nothing about this. Secondly, I can assure you that these feelings are NOT representative of the group as a whole. I have just read the review and it saddens me that one of our group felt so strongly about these issues, they felt they needed to make them public on the internet, where a bad review like this could be very bad for business indeed. As the person who organised this trip on behalf of my friends, I feel somewhat angered by the reviewer, as I agree with you, the review itself sounds very spiteful and unnecessary. Whilst I agree with some of the points made in the review, I feel these matters should have been addressed whilst we were at Chalet Mila, or fed back to you in an email after our stay, so that it could have been more constructive and less damaging.
As I said previously, the feelings in the review are not representative of everyone from the group.
Once again, please accept my apologies and know that many of us had a great time in Bansko, and at Chalet Mila.

Regards

Martin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)