All reviews minute walk jacuzzi spa massage gondola skiing slopes
Selected filters
Reviewed March 4, 2018

First time in Elegant Lux, ended there because my usual place was full. I was happy to find Boris serving breakfast, whom I had known as lifeduty at Winslow Spa, always kind and speaking good french. Service is good, kind staff, always willing to help. Breakfast was good and susbstantial (eggs, bulgarian charcuterie, cakes, fruits, etc). Good spa : pool, jacuzi, 2 saunas and a steambath (however often off). Close to main street, shops and restaurants. Gondola is 7 to 8 minute walk but they have a shuttle service every 15 minutes

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank docky_75
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

The staff were very accommodating. Sofi and Elena so helpful. Sofi organisined all our needs brilliantly. Great location. Good Spa. Lovely big Appartment. Regular bus to gondola although you can walk. Breakfast could have a bit more choice, be warmer and start earlier, otherwise Elegant Lux was perfect for our needs.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Katy_emma_unsworth
Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

Big and luxury hotel. Big and warm rooms. Excellent service. Spa is good. Breakfast was good. Free parking. Good access to the hotel. Free shuttle to gondola and ski zone. Hotel have everything for one good holiday.

Date of stay: March 2017
1  Thank Duri6969
Reviewed February 22, 2017

Someone else had written a 'poor' review which I could totally agree with, except we feel terribly sorry for the staff and as a first time visit to Bulgaria, perhaps this is the standard. Our terminology for everything was that it was all 'on the wonk!' They've made attempts to have all the trappings of luxury, but nothing is quite right! Wherever you go (not just in the hotel though) there is loud MTV with salacious videos, even for breakfast - evening meal is dominated by a chap playing old love ballads with too much reverb and volume to drown out any conversation, but we loved him by the end! Everywhere smells of cigarettes (not the bedrooms though) Spa area old and smelly, the one sauna that was working is all a broken - nails sticking out etc. The rooms, are spacious and you're given plenty of towels, dressing gowns and slippers, but only 3 hooks in the entire room. One hanger in the wardrobe and cheap plastic stools on the balcony. Our shower wasn't working when we arrived and it was fixed and repaired by the time we returned, which was great, but the whole shower tray bent when you stepped into it!! The staff are very friendly and we loved them, but oh dear - the food! Everything was tepid if not cold, basically 1950s overcooked veg and meat - yep coffee machine for breakfast was terrible, but when we went up onto the slopes we got served up dreadful machine coffee for £3 a cup, so maybe that's the norm?! Everything is nearby if you like lethal pavements, stinking drains, naff fairground rides and sleezy sex clubs! Like I said, oh dear! Skiing was great though, but frighteningly busy on the blue runs. Minibus serves this hotel and the Elegant Spa hotel at the end of the drive, occasionally we walked rather than wait, lift is near enough.

Room tip: Mountains are all around, so you can always glimpse a snow topped one. Front is probably best.
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2017

I had misgivings with this hotel upon booking as it as more expensive than other hotels with similar facilities and the decor seemed a tad gaudy. We thought we'd give it a go though thinking perhaps it would be a bit of a unique gem....
We were wrong.
It was a bit of a weird experience overall to be honest. We were charged the full amount on arrival (maybe they had loads of people leave after a night or two previously?) which was not normal in my experience and our 'fully equipped kitchen' had an electric kettle with a broken lid (so wouldn't switch off on its own) and one single mug. Random other kitchen-y items were thrown in cupboards, most of which didn't match any other items in the room.
The room was a 2 bed apartment with 2 bathrooms and was pretty nice and spacious. The master bedroom had an ensuite shower room and there was another shower room too. There were TVs in each bedroom and the living area and enough electric sockets for us to charge our various devices.The room was warm and comfortable. Overall though it was a bit kitsch in decor and had seen better days with things generally a little bit tatty. Perfectly acceptable though.
I think my main issue with the hotel was the food and timings of it. We were told breakfast started at 8 when we arrived and I immediately raised that as an issue. We were on a Skiing holiday and wanted to be and out early. 8 was far too late for this. The Gondola opens at 0830 and queues start building up at 0815 so you need to be there earlier than that (later in the week the Gondola opened at 8) and if you include picking up your skis from a local ski shop, you'll be very late once you actually get to the Gondola and could be waiting for 45 mins to get up the Gondola.
We did go down for breakfast on the first day at 8 and it wasn't very good. Plain pasta for breakfast anyone? The scrambled eggs had 'stuff added' and was cold. The toaster didn't work very well and the bread(s) were stale. The coffee machine produced horrible, cheapo coffee. It certainly wasn't worth missing part of the day skiing for. We didn't go back to breakfat and started making scrambled eggs on toast in our room for the subsequent days.
Dinner started at 1930 which, again didn't really fit with our timings as a family with small children. We'd want to eat earlier and get the kids calmed down and ready for bed. We did try the dinner a couple of times and the food quality was poor with it being buffet style and without a massive selection. I'm a vegetarian so had very little choice. The meat eaters in the family fared better but not by much. Generally, it was unsophisticated, poor quality food with an odd smell. Again, the bread was stale and they also charged for ALL drinks at dinner, including water. I would expect to pay for normal drinks but not water. Generally, I think the hotel needs to look at the kind of clientelle they want. If they want Western Europeans, they need to up their game with the food.
Balancing the poor quality of the food though, is the staffs wish to please. They are very keen to please and wanted to check things were ok. They did try to rectify any problems but its a bit difficult to wave your arms in the air and say its all wrong! From the decor and layout of the 'restaurant, to the odd selection of 'live' music, to the menu and food preparation and odd smells, it all needs work! They did try and I felt a bit bad for the staff as they were trying hard, I just don't think they know how a professional, modern hotel and restaurant is run.
The spa was interesting too. There were two saunas, a hot tub and a turkish bath around a pool with sunbeds. It stank of mold and damp and you had to give notice before going in there so they could switch everything on. The pool was a bit chilly but ok. Having owned a house with a pool and therefore knowing a bit about pool maintenance, I could tell it wasn't really being cared for properly and the hot tub, clearly didn't have enough chemicals being used. The interior of the hot tub was a bit slimey....urggghh! The whole spa area was a bit tatty too and in need of maintenance. There was this weird, broken cubicle shower on the side that once was a fancy multi jet massage shower/spa thing but was on its last legs, not only did it threaten to fall over into the pool whenever used (thereby trapping you underwater ensuring certain death) but the only bit that worked was the bog standard shower head. The electronic control panel had clearly stopped working long ago. It was the same with the hot tub, the control panel was no more and a heath robinson switch had been installed to turn on/off the jets of water (which we were actually very pleased to find as it meant the main raison d'etre of the hot tub was still operational).
The saunas were fine (apart from some worryingly bendy benches to sit/lie on) once they had warmed up.
We went to tell reception one day that we were going into the spa in 15/20 mins (i.e. the required notice) and the chap behind reception said no! I asked why and he said it was busy in there. I said, thats ok, we don't mind and he said 'no' again. This was very odd. I told him that we weren't asking permission but just telling them that we were going to be using the facilities and to please make sure everything was on. When we actually got there a few minutes later there was one guy with his two children in there! I'm not sure why we weren't supposed to use it at the same time as this guy but we had paid for the hotel and the (pretty poor) facilities so were going to use them when we wanted to use them!
The beds were ok and comfy enough to sleep on. There was a fair bit of light pollution in the main living area (where we slept on two single beds pushed together as the kids had the bedrooms) and the curtains were not thick enough to stop this. There was a fair bit of noie from the corridor outside, rooms above and outside in the resort. We're a family and tend to go to bed early-ish. Others may go partying in a ski resort and we understand this. We'd prefer not to hear it though.
Now, the thing that did leave a bad taste in our mouth is the disappearance of money from a few places around the apartment. We discovered this on the last night before leaving early the next morning as we were packing. When we arrived, we emptied our pockets of UK money into a drawer in the living area. Our kids also had their own purses/moneyboxes with them too. There was no safe in the room. The room key was a traditional lock, not a key card so there is no record of who access the room and when. The UK money from the drawer in the lviing room was severly depleted as was the money in both of my daughters purses. They had put theirs in their bed side table drawers. Sadly, the purses were clearly those of children being in a drawers with toys in room clearly inhabited by children. We can't say who took this money as we don't know when it was taken or who had been in the room. It may have been staff or someone else, we don't know. All we know is that we lost a few 10s of UK pounds in that apartment while we were not there. Not good.
The cleaner(s) did clean the room sporadically, maybe 2 or 3 times in the week we were there. I would describe the level of cleaning as 'cursory' :-)
Overall, I'd say this hotel 'could do better' and they need to understand the expectations of Western Tourists. The need to ensure the facilities they provide are maintained and are fit for purpose. The staff are very eager to please and I think this combined with some knowledge and professionalism would improve things signficantly (along with some investment of cash). I won't be staying here again to check if they do improve though.

Room tip: Try to get a room in a different hotel
Date of stay: January 2017