“Horrible stay”

St. Ivan Rilski - Hotel, SPA & Apartments
Ranked #14 of 96 Hotels in Bansko
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because of an organized team building. However, I don't have good experience. I was at 3rd floor and it was really cold in the room. I visited some colleagues in a different room and there the temperature was OK. Since it was so cold, I asked for a blanket at the reception where I was treated very rude.
Regarding the food, it was terrible - no diversity, it was little, personnel looked at us as if we were stealing it and so on.
At no circumstances would I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank I M

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel would be a five-star hotel for Tunisian people.
This hotel would be a three-star hotel for British people.
To me, it was a four-star hotel and our family loved it very much.
One complaint was that WiFi connection was unstable for a couple of days in a week-stay.

There was a kids club where you can leave your kids (not baby) and go night out.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for one week in December, nice hotel, but poor services, not very friendly staff. In 2 out of 7 days we had problems with the heating in the room, but they fixed it the same day. The SPA area is clean, but the water in the pool seemed a little cold for me and no jacuzzi

Room Tip: The rooms in the hotel are closer to the restaurant and SPA. Also, rooms on the back side of the hot...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank afdkljhjk
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in September,without booking before.They had great promotion on this moment - pay for one night ant get one night free.The hotel is new,big rooms,very comfortable beds, the bathroom was amazing -with two sinks,bathtub and shower cabin.Free WiFi.The view from the room balcony, just amazing and the clean air.
The breakfast was just ok, but the restaurant was perfect and they made really good soups.
Also was good that they have pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed there in apartments part of this complex. Everything very clean and good serviced. If you can get up early in the morning and meet the sunrise - You will have great impressions. When sun rises upon??? the peaks of mountains and changes it colurs every day with the different colours (depends of clouds on the sky and other optical effects). Two different restarants - one in national bulgarian style and other one is classical can met all of your requirements in food. Very good breakfast for any taste (just one aspect - instead of different jams for Yougurt (Kisele Mlyako) you will get preserved fruits (pinapple and apricots), but it also very tastfull. Some strange work of WiFi is one more minus. The best place with WiFi covering is Lobby Bar. In other places it is not very good, but this situation is standard in great numbers of bulgarian hotels. We also should remember that the real season in Bansko starting at the end on November, so everything is in a very good level.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AlexGalex
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We lived in apartment. It was very good inside. Clean and fresh. Everything what you need for self-catering. I felt like in home. Unfortunately service and food was very poor. And this let it down this place. Reception staff wasn't welcoming and friendly. Hardly smile. I think I was smiling more than them. In spa nobody offer me any service... that's why I didn't spend any money. We had half-board option. Breakfast was really boring. Everyday the same food. Unfortunately on your dinner we had to pay for every drink. I think it will be not a problem if they provide better service. They sweep the table by brush and they use the dustpan!!! They didn't change table clothes. Unfortunately I won't ever go back to that place. I rather choose to spend more money and go to France or Austria.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Agnes J
Reviewed April 9, 2013

When I first arrived in Bansko and saw how run down and unloved some of it looks, I was quite concerned about our accommodation. However, I was pleasantly surprised by St Ivan and how clean and fresh it was inside. Our room was well maintained and the bed was extremely comfortable - something that is very important after a long day of snowboarding!

The breakfast was very good, lots of choice and I felt it was great value, considering the rate we paid was fairly cheap. The only thing that annoyed us about it was that on our second day the clocks had gone forward over night, and being from Dubai, we hadn't considered this possibility. Therefore, when we turned up for breakfast in the morning at what we thought was 8.45am, it was actually 9.45 and we had missed breakfast. A bit of a heads up would have been appreciated!

Something else to be aware of is that there were a few schools also staying at the hotel with kids being aged between 12-17. Most of them were well behaved and didn't disturb us in the least, but there were a lot of Bulgarian kids on our floor who made an absolute racket; banging doors every ten seconds, loud music, screaming, hanging around in the corridor and lifts, which I could have lived without. This could have easily been sorted with a bit more teacher presence (and I say this as a teacher myself!)

The location of the hotel was great, just ten minutes walk to the gondola station and an easy amble back from the town at night. Be aware that if you go to Bansko at the same time we did (late March/early April) that all the shops and restaurants are closed/closing for the season. On our first night all we heard as we walked through the town was "Last night, last night!" We did eat at Penguins, which was lovely, but they had hardly anything on the food or drinks menu because they were closing the next day. There are a few places that remain open though; the Chateau Antique was a particular favourite of ours, which we frequented a good few times over the week.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple