“step back in history”

Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Durres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although the area is surrounded by newer buildings (the amphitheater was only discovered in 1966) it gives a good idea what it must have looked like when 15000 spectators watched the events in the arena. The byzantine mosaics are beautiful although I was concerned if they will last much longer. The entrance fee is only 300 lek and was well worth it.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have seen so many amphitheatres during our travels and this was definitely not worth the detour our tour of Albania made to visit. Much of it is still under local houses and I suggest leaving it there. What is visible is not in good condition other than the tunnels for the audience to reach their seats. I was more interested in the nearby walls.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I made a quick trip to Durres during a business trip to Tirana mostly because the young woman assigned to assist me was from this old seaside/port city 30 minutes from the capital. The conditions of the visit were not the best because we had so little time and because it was fitfully raining. So, we narrowed our target to coffee 15th floors overlooking the sea and the city and then the Coliseum. My young aide used to play here as a child and the idea of playing in an ancient ruin is fascinating to me. It is not fully escalated and there are indeed buildings encroaching on the sight. Lots of work to do, so pay the freaking 3 Euro entry without complaining, tourists! Albania is not expensive to see. Enjoy the idea of Romans being here so long ago, look at the stone work and columns, walk the hallways. Oh and bring a guidebook. I can't say that without mine I would have picked up on the chapel and the pen where wild animals were starved for a while before being sent out to meet those tasty gladiators

1  Thank r2croak
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I assume the 300LEK admission is paying for the conservation / restoration of this site. There is a guide who speaks excellent English who will take you around the amphitheatre for no extra cost but I chose to go wandering alone. There were few other visitors other than clusters of art students, sketching at the foot of the various stairwells. The mosiacs from the 6th century (I think) Christian chapel are relatively well preserved compared to the rest of the site. I enjoyed wandering around these ruins; there are few places out of bounds. I hope that work is done to develop and preserve this amazing glimpse into the past.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is a great location to visit if you're around, there's still a lot of work to be done and it is a pity they'll charge 300LEK. On the other hand, if this helps restoring the Ampitheatre it is certainly worth it.