“The BEST lodge in Arkansas”

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Lodge at Mount Magazine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife and I took a long weekend touring the Ouachita forest area of Arkansas, during which we spent 3 nights at 3 different "state park" lodges. Mount Magazine was head and sholders above the others. I can not say enough good things and plan to go back next year.

Starting off with the drive. The state park claims to have the highest point in Arkansas that is an easy hike from the lodge. There are plenty of vistas and hikes in the area to keep you busy for a couple of days. They vary greatly in difficulty, and can have some steep elevations to climb up or down, but there should be something to fit all physiques and experience levels.

Be sure to look in advance for any events in the area. We did the wine tour and it was alot of fun, but will take up a good chunk of your daytime. The wine tasting tours were fun and we got to try alot of the local flavor.

Back at the lodge, expect to have your jaw drop a few times. A few on the drive up, one when you reach the lodge, and another as you walk in and take in the rear deck. All rooms have windows looking out to the valley. It was really something watching some storms blow through (and below us). Truly a castle in the sky.

Once we got our keys, prepare for jaw drop #2 as we take in the Suite King room. 2 balcony's, 2 rooms, jacuzzi tub, kitchenette, fireplace. Beds were comfy and rooms were super clean. Our suite was quite a luxury!

The lodge food was very good (and remember this is a state park). Just don't go in with 5 star expectations and you'll come out happy. My wife and I had a wonderful dinner on the patio and got to watch the sunset. Does get a bit chilly in October, but her chicken alfredo and my cheeseburger were good. There is no room service, but plenty of vending machine options and a nice kitchenette in our suite. I'm sure the cabins are even more well equipped for those who want to cook their own meals.

Spectacular views everywhere you look! Early october was starting to show some nice fall colors, but late October/ Mid November would be even better.

The only two items lacking are room service and a spa service. Being a guy, I wasn't to concerned about the spa, but a massage would have been nice. And another night we would have loved to order late night dessert, but could not. So stock up during the day or make use of the ample and well priced vending machines.

If you want to have a beer or wine with your meal, then you are either bringing your own (see the available off-site wine tasting tour offered through the lodge) or join the lodge's "club". I've seen others complain, but it's really no big deal. It's free, just fill out a form to get a card and you're done. Or just go on the wine tours, buy some really nice wine and enjoy it on your balcony in the evening.

I could go on and on, but in summary there wasn't anything we could them to improve upon except maybe the spa service. Just remember this isn't the Ritz Carlton, but a State run park. However it is probably the crown jewel of all Arkansas state parks.. Stay two nights and enjoy yourself! 9.9 out of 10!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GhostMnemonic

Reviewed September 23, 2010

This lodge is new and beautiful. It has a very good restaurant. Try the chicken fried chicken. The indoor pool, two hot tubs and gym are beautiful. The surrounding hiking and biking trails are easy to follow. This location is worth spending time in. Deer run wild and butterflies are everywhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LOL305
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My partner & I stayed at the Mt. Magazine Lodge over Labor Day weekend and it was one of the best places we have visited. The room was top notch with almost all the amenities one could imagine [could have used a micro wave instead of a safe :-) ]. The weather was perfect with waking up to 47 degree temps, crystal clear blue skies, mountain breezes and wonderful fresh air. The food was great and they have a fantastic breakfast buffet. This definitely goes on the list of places to return too.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TXDalman
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This state park was absolutely the best park stay we have had, and we have stayed at dozens. We were looking for a cool place in the midst of a heatwave. We found that and much more. We paid a little extra and stayed in a hot tub room on the third floor with a balcony. The lodge is located very close to the cliff's edge making for a nice breeze (like the bird float on) and an unobstructed view. The view extended 50 miles of the valley below and other mountains in the distance. At sunset we drove on the scenic drive to watch the sunset--best I can ever remember. We hiked the trail to the highest point in Arkansas. We rented the lodge's mountain bikes and rode them to the far west point where the towers are all placed. We visited the nearby Cove Lake to rent a canoe and paddle on the lake. The swimming pool was excellent and long enough for lap swimming. The food was good and not overpriced except for maybe the Friday evening seafood buffet. We chose to eat outside each time and that was pleasant except for the air conditioning unit noise nearby.

1  Thank TriFit
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was the second time I have stayed at the Lodge at Mount Magazine and I would definitely go back again. The first time my son and I stayed in one of the rooms and they were incredibly well appointed and very comfortable. Unfortunately we were socked in with the clouds so we couldn't enjoy the views or outdoor activities but I was impressed with the Lodge itself. In 2010 it still looks brand new. The second trip my wife and I stayed in one of the cabins and really enjoyed the experience. The furnishings and the fit and finish of the cabin were outstanding. The view was unmatched and there is nothing better than relaxing at the end of a long day in the hot tub overlooking the Arkansas river valley. As some people have mentioned, the food is not 4 star at the lodge and the service is best effort for a State Park run facility but neither of these would stop me from highly recommending this place for people who want to relax, enjoy the outdoors, and spend time with a good book unwinding. I would recommend staying in cabins 5 and up if you want that complete silence as there is some minor generator noise from the Lodge in Cabins 1-4.

1  Thank TrueTexas
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We recently stayed here for our anniversary and it was just heavenly!! The Lodge is beautiful and every inch has spectacular views!! They really took advantage of God's beauty that abounds in the area!! We found in walking around the Lodge that the builders also paid special attention to the guests comfort. The swimming area is located away from all rooms, all mechanical and electrical rooms are located away from rooms as well. Most of these are on the lowest level but the few that are on the same floor as rooms they chose to place on the wall opposite all rooms. We found the service to be excellent. Everyone was very polite, courteous, prompt and provided great attention to detail. In reading the reviews i was a bit concerned about the food quality so we stopped and bought lots of snacks. We didn't open one snack!!!! The night we arrived there was a huge surf & turf buffet that was terrific!! My husband had breakfast the next morning and it was equally as good. I chose to skip breakfast b/c i was still so full from supper!! The dining hall is beautiful and it is so relaxing to eat your meal next to the huge windows that overlook the bluffs!! There are many hiking trails, a visitor center and lots of time to enjoy God's beautiful creation. We will definitely be going back and stay longer just to enjoy the serenity and peace the Lodge offers!!

Reviewed August 17, 2010

We live in Hot Springs, AR and I was looking for a place to surprise my better half for a weekend getaway.
I selected and booked a room at the Lodge at Mt. Magazine. We were blown away with the beauty, the history, and the rooms. It was an amazing trip and we will definitly go back. The breakfast buffet was not as good as it could have been, but other than that, it was perfect. I was told to request the third floor next time because thos rooms have vaulted ceilings...

2  Thank ttphipps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Best Western Sherwood Inn
#1 of 2 in Ozark
Super 8 Clarksville AR
Super 8 Clarksville AR
#7 of 7 in Clarksville

Been to The Lodge at Mount Magazine? Share your experiences!