“Awful food...awful management..!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Awful food...awful management..!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Hadn't been to this pub in about three years and it's obviously changed hands.Before we had a lovely meal and the real ale was well kept and all smiles from the bar when we walked in.Oh how times have changed.
We only ordered sausages and mash...it took forever to arrive whilst sipping on a stale tasting Harvey's.There were more lumps in the mash than on a hockey players shins combined with a rather grey look to it.Sausages didn't taste too good either.If we weren't starving hungry we would have left it.On complaining to the staff ..the reply was 'ok'..'that'll be ...'...it cost us..over...twenty...quid !!
My friend's metabolism took a turn for the worse later that evening culminating in a lengthy spell on the 'throne' ! I feel sorry for the regulars...if there are any still drinking and eating there...what was once a warm,homely pub with good staff and food has become a cold and very poorly run establishment.

3 Thank thevolcanorefugee

Worthing, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch at the Plough & Harrow”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I hadn't been to this country pub for over 20 years when I lived in Eastbourne and visited sometimes on a Friday evening visit to local country pubs. Taking advantage of a Groupon offer (2 course meal for two £22) and needing to visit Eastbourne we had lunch here. The choice was excellent as anything fom the menu could be chosen for the offer. We both had garlic mushrooms for starter - not your average pub restaurant garlic mushrooms in breadcrumbs - much better. My wife had steak which was cooked as requested and I had steak & kidney pie with large chunks of meat (rather than some pies which tend to be "spot the meat" with loads of pastry). All the staff were friendly and helpful. Clearly it was also a local for some patrons but equally visiting were hikers and visitors to the area - a good mix. The only slight criticism, I had was that as there were 2 of us we had a table in the corner which was a bit cramped but wasn't really a problem. Can't understand the bad reports and would definitely visit again and next time would try and get someone else to drive so I can sample the ale including a locally brewed one.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent dog friendly pub”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We came here on a very wet and muddy day with our two labradors. The pub was lovely and warm, the staff very welcoming, the Hardy's beer the best ever and the meal scored well too (particularly the leek and potato soup).

Apart from our dogs there were another 6 dogs in the bar and no complaints. For those who don't appreciate dogs, they are only allowed in one part - so room for everyone.

Would definitely visit here again.

east sussex
“don't go there”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The food in this pub resembles poor hospital food.I ordered a lamb casserole and after a long wait a root vegetable casserole appeared.I complained and after another long wait the same vial looking stew arrived with bits of lamb in it.I honestly couldn't eat it,bought back memories of the worst school food.My friend had a watery looking fish pie and another friend had grilled place which arrived with a very ordinary salad and spuds.To be fair they didn't charge us for the casserole.I assumed this was because of the mix up rather than the fact it was inedible.May I add the food is by no means cheap.I will never return this was my birthday lunch!

3 Thank moriondo
“ABSOLUTE JOKE !”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We have just walked out of the plough & harrow after waiting 50 minutes for a sunday dinner that never materilised and to be told that at 2:50pm that they have run out of roast potatoes .. we then paid for one coke and a pineapple juice and was charged £ 6.60 .. WE WILL NEVER RETURN . take my advise and choose anywhere else apart from this shambles

4 Thank mart007sm