“not what was expected”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Paragould
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Choice Hotels should drop this property. I always try to stay with Comfort Suites because of my large family but this place should either update or face the wrecking ball. Poor AC and if you are a non-smoker stay somewhere else. The breakfast was the best thing, but clearly time and upkeep have rendered this property "Stay Away" status from me.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Express is a better option
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This Quality Suites is a former Ramada Inn and still has the furnishings of the era of days gone by. They need to update in a bad way relating to furniture, colors, bed covers, carpet, etc. The older motels need to either be totally and thoroughly cleaned and updated, or closed. The heat/aircon units have a musty, smelly odor that comes from them. Very unpleasant. The front desk needs to be removed in this business and totally redone. When I checked in, dirty laundry was sitting in barrels in a glass front cubicle next to the check in. When we went down for breakfast the next morning, that was the same cubicle they were making omelets to order from!
The windows all needed to be cleaned and the bird poop over the outside doors of the rooms needed to be washed away. It was really bad outside our door. This place just needs alot of TLC . Steam clean and deodorize carpets, clean heat/aircon units to where it doesn't make your nose curl when the fan kicks on, & detailed cleaning of the rooms at least a couple of times a month would make all the difference in the world! The breakfast area was neat and clean and the girl taking care of it was very nice and kept things refilled and tidy. This motel is close to good restraunts There is a mexican restraunt in the same bldg. however we did not eat there. We ate at Simpkins which has a nice buffet and the food was very good. The motel Quality Suites is
near Walmart and many other businesses.It is located on 412 hwy. and very convienient to get in and out. I would rate this motel at poor.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We held our wedding reception there in December 2011. We figured all would go great with the great service we got from Lynda Olson at the reception desk. We told them in advance the number of tables and chairs we would need and that we would need white clothes. We then booked their Bar (Big Shotz) to handle our champagn and beer as well as two servers and cash bar. Les, the owner of Big Shotz seemed to have it all covered. The day of the event we showed up to set up and found that a lot of tables and chairs had been taken by the owner, Das, to another facility in Jonesboro. The tables we had left to use were in horrible condition, some were broke. The chairs were also in horrible condition, some were broke. We had to use folding chairs to make up the balance they didn't have. The cloths for the table only covered half the tables, so we had to use two sheets per table. We made due, but then the real nightmare began. The event started and our waitresses, beer, champagne, and cash bar were nowhere to be found. I went to the bar and it was closed! I called Les, the owner of the bar in the hotel several times and got nothing but voicemail! 50 minutes into our wedding reception we had to make a beer run and serve our own event! To this day I have not had a return call from the bar owner Les or the Hotel Owner, Das, who I also left a voice mail for. I wouldn't use this place for an event until they get a new bar owner and do something with their banquet room! I thought hotels were supposed to be hospitable!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My family and I had to attend a funeral in Paragould. This Hotel was directly accross the Funeral Home. I booked the rooms there and my Husband went on the trip advisor and discoved the "bad" review about this place, but I decided to go to the hotel anyways because I have a 6 year old and thought it will be covenient to change her clothes if needed and go right back to the services. Well, when I got to the Hotel the Front Desk Clerk was very friendly, I think her name was Linda, and see checked us in fairly quickly. The room was not as bad as described in some of the reviews, the pool was great for my kids after the services; they even have a small pool for chileren. The room had a aleeper sofa on the other side of the divider wall, which worked out perfect with my kids., the breakfast was wonderful, they have freah omelets. The parking lot and the landscapping could use some work though. We paid $70.00 for the room. All in all, we had decient experience at the Hotel not as bad as some of the other reviews.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stay in many Choice Hotel properties each year, and this one has to be one of the poorest I have seen. I booked this room online, so I didn't get a good look at the property until I arrived. Yes, it is a old, recylcled Ramada/Holiday Inn.

Upon arriving, I had to wait to until the front desk clerk finished her cigarette outside. It was apparent that the back half of the hotel is used for long term residents. I had to move through a group that was camped out in the doorway, smoking, drinking and eating. The room was advertised as a suite, which technically it was. They apparently took one of the beds out and put up a half wall made of cheap materials. The room was non smoking but smelled of smoke and was extremely musty. Although it was ground level it reminded me of being in an old basement. The lighting was horrible and the furniture felt wet and damp. The bathroom had not been cleaned as there were paper on the floor and hair on the floor. It was apparent by the wall that someone had spent considerable time in here picking their nose and flipping it on the wall. It was literally covered.

A side note, I hadn't planned on swimming, but it was obvious there were a couple of young families using the pool. The posted closing time was 10:00 PM, but as I walked by at 8:40, a rude man was kicking the kids out and chain locking the pool. I asked him about the posted closing time and he just replied that they were closing it now.

It was obvious that this place had no concern for it's guest in any manner, so I grabbed my stuff, demanded a refund and went on down the road.

As I said, I am a loyal Choice Hotel guest, but I will be very leary of Quality Inns if they will allow a property this openly poor to continue with their brand. There is no hiding the fact it is a dump.

This was enough, and I asked for a refund and went on down the road to Hayti, MO.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank johnham
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Dirty room; no air conditioning; wasps outside the rear entry door; needs a lot of maintenance work done; just sub-par all the way around.

We stayed two nights and they didn't even clean our room. It was 11 p.m. at night when we got back so we just got towels from the front desk and decided not to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Normal family staying in town for a wedding. Was told by my local family the place was a recycled Ramada Inn that was dirty and old that is owned by an Indian family. I picked it from the internet because it was $20.00 dollars cheaper than the Holiday inn Express. Huge mistake. When I arrived I could tell right away I made a mistake. No landscaping and the parking lot was full of pot holes and cracks. There was a large section of overhead missing underneath the canopy. It just went down hill from there. I told the lady I wanted to see the inside of the room before we did any paperwork. She then said she would put us in the new remodeled rooms on the 2nd floor. I went in and the room and furnishings were fine. I noticed a lot of lint in the AC vent. I then noticed they had installed a portable window air conditioner for each room. I noticed that they had removed the thermostat control from the room. When was the last time anyone went to a hotel room and you couldn't adjust the heat or air for your room? After paying for the room I discovered the AC did not work in my room. It was 95 degrees outside. The fan blew but was missing the cold air part. Maintence came telling me they were having this problem with all the rooms. He explained the owner was trying the single units instead of replacing the roof AC. There was a bundle of wires running outside of each room for these AC units. They didn't even have the foresight to put the wiring in conduit so it wouldn't be so unsightly. I had to get the clerks personal fan at the desk just so I could sleep without sweating. I was not alone. Every guest I talked to that night had the same problem with the AC. The funniest part of this was the sign out in front of the Hotel and on the highway signs were advertising New Air Conditioning. Also there was no security personnel around. No cameras in the parking lot or inside the halls. In summary the place was a "DIVE" and the franchise of Value Suites needs to pull the signs down until the place it brought up to code. When I was leaving I seen the owner pull up in a newer black Volvo or BMW dressed in a nice suit. He should be in coveralls carrying a tool belt. Stay here at your own risk. Recommend the Holiday Inn Express or the Rustic Inn.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family