“The only place worth stopping into”
Review of Red Top Motor Inn

Red Top Motor Inn
Cuisines: Diner, Canadian
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This review is a bit late - we came here twice in the summer of '12. The first time was on the way to Thunder Bay, it was recommended to use from someone who grew up in SS Marie. You knew right off the top, when the specials were brought to you, this was not your usual motor inn or roadside stop. A wide range of offerings from burgers, to chowder, to scallops - clearly there was someone talented and experienced in the kitchen.

What made it for us though, and worthy of a great review, was we were returning back the other way and planned on staying there for the night. We arrived later than expected, not having eaten, and the kitchen had just closed.

They reopened the kitchen for us and served another great dinner to which we were extremely grateful, and it was as good as the one a week before!

Not to mention the inn has a great 50s look and feel, they kept it the same style as I'd imagine they found it. Very cool spot and worth stopping in on your way up, or back from T-Bay.

There are newer reviews for Red Top Motor Inn

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Great food !!!!!
Love it !!!
You will NOT be disappointed staff is A1
Best place to go in the area , selection of Ontario wines and excellent cheese plate !

cheeers to a great time !
Val

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Man do I like this place. Everything about the hotel is not really my style. It is a little too 50/60s kitsch for my tastes and would not be something I would try out regularly.

What that means is you will be missing out on a pretty special place. This place is the king of amazing value. The owners have a very, very god palet so what that means is that you will be getting dishes that are not your ordinary fish and chips or burgers, but always a great mix of different dishes that you would expect in any bistro in a big city. This is a place that puts a lot of consideration into their dishes and I always leave feeling like I get so much more for what I paid. Plus, they have a coconut cake that is on the borderline of being a class 1 narcotic.

btw: the interior of the place is fun too. The owners took a place and updated it just the right amount without losing its roots.