“Very Nice Meal.”
Review of The Muddy Duck

The Muddy Duck
Reserve with OpenTable
The Muddy Duck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Hethe
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Muddy Duck is a pub and restaurant located in the pretty village of Hethe, just north of Bicester. You can’t miss us – we’re slap bang in the beating heart of Hethe, next door to the Church of St. Edmund and St. George and just 4 miles from M40 junction 10. We love that all things British and traditional are making a revival, so whether in the bar or the restaurant, our food is an honest and inspiring blend of time-honoured favourites, with a creative MD twist. No short cuts, no ping-and-ding, no frozen – all fresh and cooked to order. The only thing that comes out of our freezer is our ice-cream and that's made in-house too. Through and through we’re about free-range, high welfare, sustainability, local or British produce if it’s best or at its best – and if not, we’re not ashamed to source from further afield, because quality is what counts.We keep favourite real ales and regularly have a few starring guests too and run an extensive wine list and like to encourage punters to try something different, so our cellar range is particularly good value.
London
“Very Nice Meal.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Beautiful village with the Muddy Duck at the centre, we had a very nice meal and the restaurant staff were helpful and pleasant, we would definitely go again and share The Muddy Duck with friends.

1 Thank POTTERS-LONDON

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful relaxing Sunday lunch”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We popped in here just for drink as our pals told us they get booked up.. We manged to find a seat for 6 in the bar and saw the bar menu and could not resist! Wonderful mini roast (not really that mini!).. Try the pork cracklings and chilli dipping sauce. We had scotch eggs with black pudding and a wonderful burger.. Nom nom.. Bill was very reasonable and service fab. Great garden and a wood burning oven outside..

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Great meal, excellent service”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

First impressions were good with spacious gravelled car park, nicely planted garden and a large muddy duck as a feature ! We ate in the restaurant early (6.30 pm) alone and by 8 p.m. it was full on a Thursday night. Staff attentive and pleasant, especially Georgina who looked after our table.

Our starters were the Cornish squid & merguez sausage, and the hogs pudding, followed by crispy seabass and posh burger (rather like a steak hache in France), puddings were orange & lemon possett and cheese board with frozen grapes, celery etc. All excellent. If you want bread you need to order from the nibbles menu, the bread on display looked very good. Drinks - according to my husband the Tribute draught beer was very well kept(he is a CAMRA member), and the carafe of Chilean sauvignon house wine very drinkable, nice that you can order a carafe rather than a full bottle if desired.

The Muddy Duck is located in relatively isolated countryside on the Oxon/Northants border, an area not really known for its culinary hotspots so its a welcome addition to the restaurant scene. We live about 15 miles away and will definitely return at some point. Recommended.

London, United Kingdom
“A really special place, quite refreshing”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

This is really a nice place to visit, we had lunch during the week and it wasn't too busy. I had the fish and chips which were nice and my guests had the fish chowder which seemed to be most agreeable. Service was good but I'd heard of the pork strips which were not available on our visit....therefore we must go again...no hardship there then!!

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, shame about the bar staff”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Apart from ordering drinks at the bar before and after the meal, we had a superb meal. When we arrived I asked the barman what sparkling wine they sold by the glass and he listed several still wines. When I repeated I wanted sparkling wine, he picked up the wine list, excused himself and headed for the restaurant. He returned with the news that they had Prosecco and the name of a vineyard that turned out to be a champagne. Things were much better in the restaurant where the service was friendly and efficient. The squid I had as a starter was the best I have had and it went very well with the little merguez sausages that accompanied it. My wife felt the beetroot cure was a little overpowering for her salmon starter. Both main courses were delicious and perfectly cooked - venison for my wife and lamb for me. We finished with chocolate and raspberry brownies with sticky toffee ice cream which was a lovely combination. Back to the bar for coffees and liqueurs, where the same barman took my order twice, then followed me across the road as I tried to get a signal on my phone to call for our lift so that he could check my order again. When the liqueurs arrived one was twice the size of the other, but overall we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and will definitely return.