“Don't go here”
Review of Riverview Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oden
Riverview Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Oden
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I went to Riverview for a day float. We were told by the woman in the office that we could do a 4 or 6 mile float, and have plenty of time to "play" and be out of the water by 5pm, which is the time you have to have your kayak out of the water by. We told the woman at the dest we did not have a watch, or a way to keep up with time, so she suggested the 4 mile float so we would have plenty of time to stop and play along the river banks. We had a wonderful float, the ouachita river is beautiful, hawever there was several spots that we did have to walk. We floated most of the way, and had to paddle a pretty good bit. When we arrived at the exit point we were met with an extremely sour faced woman that started whinning that we were late getting out of the water. She started complaining that she worked a 12 hour day and she should be home by now. Well cry me a river,...I also work a twelve hour day, and get up at 3am, but I do not have the luxury of saying my job description is standing by a beautiful river waiting for someone to come floating by. My job is also year round, including holidays and weekends rotating from days to nights,....I seriously boubt that she is working a 12 hour shift year round. I think my husband sumed it up best when he told her "my job dosn't always go right, but it is my job". Then we had the pleasent ordeal of walking half a mile back to the rental office, because this extremely bitter whiney woman did not want to shuttle us back. If you do feel like inflicting yourself with rude, inhospitable service, go ahead and torture yourself with this woman. If not, so gomewhere else. There are lots of other outfitters in this area. Keep in mind, at this time of year, it does not get dark until 9pm, so make sure you take a watch with you, or know how to build a sundial on the rocky shore line,...and if someone in the office tells you that you will have plenty of time to "float" , start paddleing as soon as your canoe or kayak hits the water. Bitter woman even made the comment that everyone else made it in on time, but what she did not put together was we were the last one's that floated that day. No one passed us on the water; as a matter of fact, no one else was on the water. If they did not think we would be able to meet their time line, they should not have rented to us,...after all, they are the experts on how much time it should take, not us. When we told her we would not be coming back to their establishment, her comment was "good, it's not worth it to me". However , they did not mind taking our money with a smile when we asked about floating. Also know, we were not partying teenagers that spent the day drinking on the river. We are grandparents just wanting to float, and do some fishing. In closing,...very unfriendly and rude. Run from this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank haysgirl62
527sue1948, Owner at Riverview Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2011

Yes they were very late. And I did wait on them for hours in the hot August sun. But NO I would never make anyone walk back to the office. I offered them a ride and they said "No we will walk". It is only 1/4 mile to the office.We are always very nice to our guests.

Reviewed September 5, 2009

We went to the Riverview Cabins in Oden, Arkansas in the Ouachita Mountains the weekend of April 25, 2009 for 2 nights. This was our first time in this part of Arkansas as we usually go up around the Buffalo River or Jasper area in the Ozarks. It is a completely different nature experience in this part, really cool quartz crystals everywhere. We had the Sunflowers Cabin, which is very cute, and has everything you need (except charcoal for the grill-bring that!). The hot tub is great, and although you don’t have a river view, it is very private with woods all around, but you can cut down the hill to get to the river and the hiking trails. We saw some of the luxury big cabins from the hiking trail by the river, and they look really cool for a family, but for just the 2 of us, the little cabins are fine. The first night we just got the lay of the place down and checked out schedules for what we wanted to do. You can go horseback riding or canoeing right from the office. They have nice pool and picnic area too. We had champagne in the hot tub, and hot dogs and chili for dinner. We decided to sleep in the loft of the cabin because it was so cool. My husband brought his laptop and we watched a couple of scary movies up there and went to bed. The next day we went horseback riding, which Vicki set up for us (I felt bad for her-she had 2 kids sick with strep throat, running high fever). Cameron took us out on the horses, Bay and Sassy, both pretty horses, but he had a gorgeous big white stallion named Joe Cloud. Well, we started off down the mountain on the trail, and the horses did not want to go and were acting really skittish (seems that they could smell either a wildcat or a bear in the woods!) because these horses are used to snakes (you will be too at this time of year-we saw several, including water moccasins). Eventually, the wind changed and we all switched horses because Sassy was being, in a word, sassy, she is very aptly named. My husband, Shawn, got Bay, I got Joe Cloud (if you can get him, he is a smooth ride, and minds very well). Cameron got stuck with Sassy. I had to lead until Cameron could get Sassy in line and get up front. We went all over the mountain, and Cameron pointed out the scenery from the mountain, and a tree with a crystal stuck in the middle-very cool. We went through little streams and my horse did not like to get his white fur dirty, so he would really try to step around puddles and mud. We even got to trot the horses a little bit, which was fun. We have been horseback riding probably twice before, so we are not experienced riders and they really took care of us. They have special horses for children, too. After we got back, we went on a canoe trip. Rick took us up the river and gave us history about the mountain and the mining regulations, and the river and fishing. He’s had an interesting life and can answer any questions you might have about the area. By the way, make sure your cokes and beers and stuff you want to bring for a picnic are in cans as you can’t have glass bottles in the river or you risk a fine. He put us in and told us where to bank (you have to look for a big riding arena and power lines and you can go just past the pick up point and see a cool cave). This canoe ride is different from the Buffalo, only a few bluffs, but beautiful scenery and we pulled up on a sandbar island and ate our picnic about midway down. You’ll see some gorgeous houses with awesome river views and be jealous. We didn’t see any other people at all on the trip until we got to the take out point and met some partiers in kayaks (next time, I want my own kayak as I kept paddling the canoe against Shawn because I was looking at scenery and not watching what I was doing, in a kayak, you’ll only crash yourself into the bank, not the whole canoe). We joined the party kayak people and went around the bend to the cave, which is really cool, but also looks like a perfect home for a big varmint such as the wildcat or bear our horses got spooked at earlier. The kayak partiers told us that the rest of the trip, which is the whole day trip is more thrilling than the calm water we had coming down, like there are rapids and faster moving water. You can also start at the mid point and go to the end of the float trip too. One thing you need to know-bring your own sunscreen, I tan easily, but my husband absolutely fried! They don’t have any there available for purchase, and there aren’t stores in close proximity. When Rick picked us up, he had brought us a couple of really cool quartz crystals (although the mountains are made of quartz and crystals are everywhere, the ones he had found were beautiful, one had a square shaped prism sticking out). We got back to our cabin, bought the last bag of charcoal they had, and grilled up some steaks that had been marinating in Jack Daniels Garlic and Herb Sauce. I baked some beans and we had some red wine with dinner (outside on the deck), then more wine in the hot tub, which is a good cure for sore muscles from riding horses and paddling canoes. We saw a gigantic raccoon that smelled our dinner. Watched a little TV on the couch and read through the journals previous guests had written in, there are magazines too. We slept in the loft again (it is just so “Little House on the Prairie” neat to look down on the rest of the cabin, but there is a nice bed in a bedroom downstairs also. The next day, we got up, sadly packed our stuff, and went to Mena, a town a few miles away near Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Shawn was after catfish, and Rick had told him The Fish Net was the place to go. We went to the visitor center there and the old couple gave us plenty of brochures and maps and showed us right where The Fish Net was (way up on a hill outside of Mena). It started raining really hard, so we abandoned our plan of hiking the mountain and went to get our fish instead. The Fish Net has awesome food. They ask if you want the “set-up” and boy, do you ever! It is white beans and slaw, hushpuppies, and pickled green tomatoes. We ended up getting fried oysters, shrimp, and scallops. Everything was so good, but the scallops were delectable. Service was great, and it was very inexpensive. They didn’t even laugh at us as Shawn was wearing my white terrycloth slippers because his hiking boots had gotten wet when an inferior canoeist (that would be me) ran us into a sandbar the day before. It was really raining by then so we decided to just start the drive back down the mountain as all the good food, sore muscles and sunburn were really starting to kick in and we had to be at work the next day. It was a great trip, and Riverview is a great place to stay and there is much to do!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mexilady

Been to Riverview Cabins? Share your experiences!