“Riverview Cabins 2012”
Review of Riverview Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oden
Riverview Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Oden
Slidell
“Riverview Cabins 2012”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was a last minute get away for the weekend. We stayed in one of the cabins with a hot tub. The gardens were nicely done with many little surprise details. The cabins were secluded and well decorated, each with its own theme. They were just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of city life yet close to all the lake recreation areas. We look forward to returning again and spending more time there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in # 4 Sunflowers for 3 nights in May. We had a great time and Sue and Heather (?) were always more than helpful. The man who took us kayaking was very nice too. The cabins were very clean. I think we should've rented a larger one with a river view, but we can do that next time.

• Stayed May 2012
keithville
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in one of the cabins after finding them online. We have never stayed in a facility of this sort, so we did not really know what to expect. The facilities were adequate, but very pricey for what you get. First of all, the river was so low that it would have been nearly impossible to canoe or float down. Although we drove up and did not make reservations before hand, we talked to people at this place at least three times in the week before we arrived, including the day we booked. We were never told of the river condition. Although this was disappointing, the worst part was the cabin itself. Dishes were dirty, with crusted food on them, windows didn't lock, and it took forever to figure out the television. But the topper was the abundance of spiders. We killed at least 30 (no exaggeration, I stopped counting at 30). They were everywhere, even on the bed! As we did not get back to our room until after the office closed, and most spiders didn't come out until nightfall, we could not report this to the office until the morning. When we did report it, the people in the office told me that they could not kill those, because the spider's legs were too long to walk in poison, so there was nothing they could do about them. They also said that they probably came in throught the open fireplace flue. Then they said that the spiders wouldn't hurt anything, and they didn't mind if they crawled all over them. I could understand a few bugs, but not that many. It was ridiculous! I was not offered any refund or compensation for my trouble. We will not be back, and will tell everyone we know not to go here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank j b
, Owner at Riverview Cabins, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
The couple came in at closing time and looked at a honeymoon cabin and a small. Choose the small one. They left to go to Mt. Ida for dinner. Next morning came in to check out and did mention the spiders, which were Grand Daddy Long Legs. After they departed as I went to the cabin I noticed the back door was not closed properly. I believe the Grand Daddys came in through the door. They only booked for one night. The party did not ask for compensation. As we are in a drought every river in the country is low. Though it is not great we were still putting out a few canoes and kayaks. We really do not let Grand Daddys crawl all over us! LOL Sorry they were dissatisified.
Bossier City
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is our 3rd visit to the cabins. First 2 in winter and the last at the end of May. My husband and I love it. It's peaceful, quiet, and secluded. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We will definatly make more trips to this beautiful resort.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Ecpayne
louisiana
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My friend our families looked at tons of canins and decided that this one would suit us very well. It was an 8 person cabin and we have kids, so it being a 3 floor cabin thought it would be perfect. It was in January and I saw lots of other cabins were having deals so I called and asked about one. The lady was gracious in doing so and said I could book online and when I got there she would change the price on my credit card. She did ask me who would be staying in the cabin and I told her that it would be my friend with our husbands and kids. I also stressed that we have very well behaved children! The agreed to the price and everything was fine. I did call before we arrived so maybe we could straighten out the billing issue on my card so I wasn't being charged as much, and she once again asked who would be staying. We were half way into our trip at that point from the southern part of louisiana, she told me it would be $10 additional per person per night, after 4 people. Now may I remind you that the cabin is an 8 person cabin. If you are renting an 8 person cabin, then charge the price right up front for 8 people. THat only makes sense. Billing was straightened out put the owner/manager was extrememly huffy and rude. The front desk woman though was way more accomadating.

Upon walking in to check in, there was an awful list on the wall of first and last names and I am pretty sure it said where they were from, and it was stating who they will not rent to again. The list of shame had names put on it saying that that customer was rude, or something stupid like that. Have you ever heard the customer is always right! You are running a business. Anyway the cabin was nice, but the bottom floor is concrete with the most flimsy bunk bed I have ever seen in my life with no rails and the pool table is right there, so no pool for us seeing we were attempting to have some of the children sleep down there, because an adult would break those beds. The children ended up sleeping upstairs because no heat is down there so they were literally freezing.

Internet........joke, you have to sit in your car out front of the check in office. Hot tub........in 40 degree weather I would like to be at least warm in it, no it didn't heat above may 90 degrees or so. We read that entire book with all the ins and outs of the cabin and I never saw how to fix it. We could not call anyone because there is no service there adn no phones in the cabin. We did read the book though along with all the post it notes all over the cabin. I recall at least 5 notes , I felt like a child. The view was ok but not as described, but I guess in the end we did have a nice vacation. I just would not recommend this particular cabin company.

The other family that we vacationed with has also made a comment with the manager saying her peace, but I just want to say that no, I did not complain while I was there, mostly because I didn't want to be put up on her wall of shame that is publically posted for everyone to see. Very unprofessional.

1 Thank Amber b
Redfield, AR
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Let me start off by saying, this is my 6th stay in 5 years and every time just gets better. I have come to know the owners and the staff and it shocks me to see some of the reviews on here. My family has always been treated with utmost respect, basically treated like we were a part of their family. Riverview has always gone above and beyond the call of any other place we have ever been ESPECIALLY for the price you pay. The price borderlines on absurdly low compared to some of Riverview's competitors and you are supplied with absolutely everything you need except for paper towels and food. You can't beat the view, atmosphere, hospitality, calm that you find at Riverview. We usually stay in #1 Ranchouse and now have stayed in #9 Gone Fishing, again, WOW. It's so nice not to hear cars and all the sounds in the city. I step out on our deck to hear the birds, the river, the breeze and to watch the wildlife play in the bottoms near the river. I have absolutely ZERO complaints.
Thank you for a beautiful rustic place to unwind and get away from the hustle of the outside world. Riverview Cabins is second to none.

Joey Hobson

1 Thank Joey H
Thorn Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This was a two family trip so there might be a second review but since I paid for half, I will put my half of the comments. We had compared several different 8 person cabins within the area and chose this one because we felt it would accommodate us best. However, 2 hours away (on a 6 hour drive), we receive a call asking how many are in our party (first time this was asked even after inquiring about pricing). We are told at this moment that there is an extra charge for I think anyone over 4 people (including children). We had assumed that an 8 person (which costs a bit more than a 4 person cabin) would include the price the owner desired for having 8 people in the cabin. We were not asked prior to the trip or told anything else. We were told if we decided to go somewhere else, we would be out all of the money for the cabin. After some discussion, we were allowed to proceed, but it was very stressful. Upon arriving at the office, I quickly noticed the public display of FIRST and LAST names listed out for all to see of people that they would not be renting to any more. The majority were stated as being "rude" and nothing more. Very few were for reasons like damage, billing dispute or excessive cleaning. It was atrocious and I would have left due to the obvious poor customer service at this point if I had a choice. When we got to the cabin it was pretty nice, but there were these notes posted everywhere that bordered on rude, plus a whole notebook of rules as well. It felt as if we were imposing, rather than being welcomed as paying guests. The view was decent, the fireplace and having firewood delivered was nice and the kitchen had most of our needs (except the promised "salt"). The hot tub however never heated up past 95 degrees during the weekend (too cold for 40 degree weather). It was like a warm bath, not a hot tub. The wifi was a joke. You have to go to the office and sit on the porch or in your car to use it, which we didn't find out until reading the notebook of rules. The pool table and "bunk beds" were in the walkout basement which was freezing! The heat did not appear to be making it's way downstairs at all so we eventually just closed the door and didn't go downstairs anymore. It was too cold to play billiards and sleeping with all the spare and provided blankets was impossible for my oldest boy. The bunk beds are a joke as well. They appeared to be homemade from 2 x 4's. I would never put an adult on it because I don't think it would support an adult and there are no guard rails to keep a child from rolling off onto the hard concrete floor below. I would have offered the complaints to the owner if I thought it would have received in any manner other than a hostile one. After reading the "list of shame" on the wall that included someone who disputed a bill because they never got firewood, it was obvious that the customer "isn't first or right" around here. We didn't say anything, we left with the intentions not to return.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get an 8 person cabin and have 8 people included in the price.
2 Thank Tricia D
527sue1948, Owner at Riverview Cabins, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
The first call was when she asked for a discount and because January is a slow month I told her I would give her a discount. She made reservations online and booked for 2 persons. Sometime later she called asking about the price and said it would be for 4 persons which I assumed it was 2 adults and 2 children. On their way here she called us and wanted to pay the bill over the phone before they arrived. We told her she could wait till she arrived but she insisted she wanted to pay now. She was asked how many guests she had and she informed us it would be 8. There was a second family that was joining them. She was not happy with the price (which is posted on the internet). We explained to her that there was a charge for additional persons over 4. She said she was not ging to pay that amount, they would find somewhere else to stay. To make them happy we gave them the discount and did not charge for the other family with them. This discount came to 138.98 which was for the 2 night stay. The lady that wrote this response is not the person that we talked to or that paid the bill. We are actually very nice to our guests and do try to make their stay enjoyable. Any problems with the cabin we would have addressed promptly. As for the heat in the down stairs of the cabin all 3 floors have CH/A vents but if the door is closed to the down stairs and the fireplace is being used the heat unit will not come on as the fireplace is heating the cabin. We do offer a book of information in the cabin which contains info about trash pick up, towel exchange, firewood delivery, hot tub info and so forth. Also a list of things to do and maps of trails. The only notes posted are 1. "Please close screens on fireplace as the sparks will burn the floors" and 2. Please leave key on hook, check out is 11;00". There are no phones in the cabins therefore the wifi is at the office. They had the hot tub set on economy which in the book of information it tells our guests how to reset it. But we have come to the cabins numerous times to reset it for our guests. We are more than happy to take care of any complaints that we receive. They checked in as happy guest and we did not hear anything else from lthem the whole weekend. We do like to know if there is a problem. We try to make all of our guests happy.

Been to Riverview Cabins? Share your experiences!