“Traditional Colonial Hacienda”

Hacienda San Agustin De Callo
Doha, Qatar
“Traditional Colonial Hacienda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We went there for lunch in our way to Riobamba. The food was delicious. The hotel is a stunning old hacienda built over real Inca ruins. There is a old temple perfectly maintained which is now a Catolic church. We loved the place so much that we decided to come back and stay for one or two nights. The views of the Cotopaxi volcan are stunning. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paulo F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The drive from the Quito airport took over 2 hours (lots of traffic which is how I think of Ecuador)....it was a Friday early evening. We arrived in the dark, dropped our bags in the room, and went immediately to dinner. Dinner is served in the Inca building which serves as the dining room for lunch and dinner. Our room was very spacious - a sitting area, a bedroom, and a HUGE bathroom. It was cold when we were here and we needed the 3 fireplaces (one per room). The hot water bottle in the bed was great. It was chilly in the morning as the fires had burned out. The food for breakfast and dinner was very good. Breakfast includes cold/hot selections and is a bit slow so allow plenty of time if you have a pick-up booked. They accommodated our request for boxed lunches. It's a lovely property and really charming and the tour of the house is a nice touch, however, if you like modern ammenities you will be disappointed. We had the good fortune of seeing the peak of Cotopaxi when the clouds cleared around 5:45 p.m. one evening. No such luck when we drove up the mountain - rain & very cold winds!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelfun001
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nestled in the foothills of the Andean mountains aside the tallest active volcano in the world, Cotopaxi, and just an hour drive from the Ecuadorian capital of Quito, stands the magnificent, historic, and majestic Hacienda San Agustin de Callo. The owner, the eloquent, lovely, and passionate Mignon is a firm advocate for her incredible property; any subtle clearing of the clouds in front of the volcanoes—Cotopaxi, Ilinizas, Tungurahua, or Chimborazo—and she runs in excitement to gather everyone to gaze at the natural splendor visible from every window of the Hacienda. There are no words to describe the property and the surrounding highlands, but if I were to attempt to describe them, the only word that comes to mind is magical.

I had the pleasure of staying in the Hacienda in the spring of 2011 and then again in the summer of 2012 as a volunteer, and cannot wait to return again. The staff is committed to providing guests and visitors with memorable and amazing experiences whether through the excellent, natural, and local gourmet food, the outstanding horseback riding trails, the blissful walks through the rose plantations, or the hikes through the magnificent property. The rooms in the three possible lodging places (the Inca House, Cotopaxi House, and Callo House) are stunning; they are adorned with unique, warm, and ornate details to make you feel like you are in a home, not a stark hotel. To truly feel the magic and beauty of the Ecuadorian Sierra, I wholeheartedly recommend the Hacienda that stole my heart for its beauty, grace, cultural immersion, and hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ShayZeem
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I made the mistake of making a reservation. Without telling me, they charged my credit card for the full amount. I cancelled a month later. It took SIX emails before they answered. Then they claimed they could not refund my credit card as it was impossible to do that in Ecuador. They eventually wired me the monet but it took another month and fifteen more emails. I had to involve Visa.

When they did wire the money, they shortchanged me 155 dollars for western union charges and fees. When I protested that, the owner began sending me the most arrogant emails I have ever received. He kept telling me how "exclusive" his hotel was. I have stayed at 5 star hotels in more than 50 countries. This is the worst service I have ever received.

There are lots of beautiful haciendas in Ecuador so you dont need to stay at this one.

I have copies of all emails.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank kmbaert
ecuadoriantrails, Owner at Hacienda San Agustin De Callo, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Mr. KmBaert,

The original mail sent to you confirming your reservation, states clearly that full payment is required in advance. No ground for confusion.

Your request that we refund the amount charged through your credit card, was not possible to do as your card was issued outside of Ecuador.

Needless to explain, the procedure took time, wait for your turn, then speak to someone else and so forth.

Finally we were informed that this means of refunding was not possible.

We also consulted with our bank about this, and were told that only through a bank transfer could we proceed to refund the amount, which option you declined. We went all out to attend your demands as best as possible, as it is our policy to try and please our clients in every way.

Finally we sent you the funds through Western Union, three weeks after you cancelled and patiently answered many of your inappropriate emails. No more could be answered because of the tone of your messages, threats and we are also busy working.

Evidently the credit card charged its commission which you had to pay, as well as the cost of sending you the funds, you were the one who cancelled the reservation.

Your attitude was very surprising as we have never dealt with such an unusual problem. You can see for yourself the reviews on San Agustin in TripAdvisor.

Mignon Plaza
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and her parents stayed here near the end of our 2 week Ecuador vacation. We stayed 2 nights, and enjoyed every moment. The property itself has been renovated with much care, and the gardens and grounds are ripe for wandering. We were greeted with a lovely, warm ginger drink (with a mystery shot that "took the edge off"), and were shown our room (amazing) and then a brief tour of the place (also amazing). Our room (Las Gordas?) had a fireplace that kept us nice and toasty at night, with a volcano view, and a claw foot tub. Towels were super-thick and soft, as were the bed linens. The appetizers and meals were wonderfully prepared (maybe you'll get a kitchen tour!), and we were fortunate to spend some time getting to know the owner, Mignon, a delightful woman.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NRoePDX
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

San Agustin De Callo is a beautiful place with an interesting history. My major complaint is how disorganized management is. When I arrived, they had no record of my reservation, for which I had already paid. In a confusion, they told me I'd paid half, and when I got back to the states and was able to prove that I had already paid the full amount, they told me rates had changed and refused to repay the half I overpaid. This is a great place to stay, BUT, make sure you keep records of everything, and have them on hand!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Robert S
ecuadoriantrails, Director Comercial at Hacienda San Agustin De Callo, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Mr. Robert S,

Sorry that there was some confusion in your reservation with us. It was a minor mistake.

You asked for a single room but arrived with another person. Consequently we proceeded
to invoice you for a double room not a single room as there were two people in the room.

We would be happy if you could acknowledge that this is correct and that the invoice was therefore correct. Many thanks for your visit.

Mignon Plaza

Owner
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

well maintained historic property derived from original Inca house. Chapel & dining room particularly stunning Inca relics. very welcoming & welcoming staff.

Information on available local activities could be more forthcoming but organisation of them ran smoothly - two hour local horseride, full day to Cotopaxi - stunning views - massage in suite, local walks, rose plantation tour over three days.

Meals were excellent every time.

Booked an Inca house suite, but chose to stay in the stunning Cotopaxi Suite instead as a more comfortable living area, jacuzzi and stunning views of Cotopaxi - a good decision! Function over form!

Hot water did not work on arrival & took a few hours to rectify - were offered use of another room to shower etc which was a satisfactory solution - fixed during evening.

Room Tip: We thought Cotopaxi suite superior to Inca house suites for a stay of a few days.