“Whatever has happened to the food?”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love the Crown and its new look, but they do need to sort out the food! It was my big 6-0 and they had kindly sent me a 20% off voucher, but I didnt realise they meant 20% of the portion size! I ordered beef medallions on mash with vegetables..I received 4 thin beef slices on mash that had turned liquid underneath. The vegetables were a few sticks stuck in a little pot. I am not one for large portions - the Hungry Horse approach horrifies me, but this was ridiculous, and very poor value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank trescomania
There are newer reviews for The Crown Inn

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I live locally and like most people I was very pleased when Fullers did such a good job renovating this old pub. I have tried the food there on and off since it opened, always hoping it will improve. We tried again this Sunday. What could be easier than chicken and chips to get right? Especially as its from their 'grill' (hopefully fresh and piping hot?) The chips were flabby and tasted faintly of fish. The chicken was tired, tough, dull, no crispy skin and like it had been reheated. Really disappointing Crown! I told the waitress and there was little acknowledgement, no offer to reduce the bill. I will not have the confidence to try again as my experience with the food has always been disappointing. They will have to up their game to compete locally or is it just complacency? The publicity on the website about the menus gives such a false impression!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gill183
Reviewed January 13, 2013

So bad we had to complain, which we hate doing. If they think a 'quails egg' is a hard boiled egg cut in to quarters they should wear glasses. The Ploughmans had stale bread, and the service was disastrous. When we tried to question these discrepancies the waiter never returned, and the so-called General Manager played with his Computor in a corner! I have not stayed there so maybe the Bedrooms are more favourable. We wrote to the Management, and they said improvements were being made, so hopefully......!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 969flossywebb
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great way to start our trip (25th wedding anniversary) Evening meal and breakfast were 1st class. Room was quaint with lots of character, unleavened floors an great king size bed. Village was lovely and we had a leisurely stroll before heading over to Southampton, only half an hour away. So glad we did not stay in one of the modern characterless hotels bear the port

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeidiJB
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

A review of the food: small portions, bland and overpriced.

We ate a variety from the menu and sandwich board.

The sandwiches were £5.50 and included 'value' style bread and stingy filling. They were limp and poorly presented.

The other mains were small but not in a good way, they lacked flavour and were unexciting.

The service was poor. Many items were out of stock, mulled beverages were not available, I mean its Christmas!

I am not interested in returning.

To make a balanced review... The pub is clean and yet maintains a cosy atmosphere. The drinks selection is good but on the pricey side.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank cjy203
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful rooms - no doubt about that.

Shame the restaurant kitchen closes at 9:30 pm. We arrived later than expected due to late flights so had to run across to the Chinese across the road. Don't recommend the chinese- very bland food but we were starving and grateful.

Breakfast was ok. Cooked to order but what is with putting the baked beans in a separate bowl ? Just put them on the plate with the rest of the food. The cold buffet lacked fruit but was otherwise ok.

Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank sheluvz2travl
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Having recently visited The Crown I was extremely impressed and would highly recommend this place to everyone. The pub itself was very warm and welcoming, with the lit open fire and Christmas lights and decorations. The staff were also welcoming and I felt that they did everything possible to ensure that the experience was well worth the visit. Food in the restaurant was also excellent, the Christmas menu delightful - I opted for the turkey dinner which was clearly freshly carved and not processed as previously commented on here. This establishment has certainly been turned round for the better since the change of ownership and refurbishment earlier in the year. Can't wait to go back for another enjoyable evening.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!