“Best week ever!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Diamond John's Riverside Retreat

Diamond John's Riverside Retreat
“Best week ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed in a cabin for a week and couldn't have enjoyed it more! So much to do from fishing, roasting marshmallows by the fire (firewood included), and bbq-ing on the provided grills, to digging for diamonds and other jewels (john taught us everything we know!). We will definitely be repeat visitors and can't wait to plan our next week off!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ChadAndJena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

It's hard to find...that should be your first clue. We stayed in the treehouse...beds are very uncomfortable, no top sheet on the twin bed, pillows are flat as a pancake, I spent the night killing about 12 large wasp, then got stung. All the comforts of home, a microwave, mini fridge, and a coffeemaker. but no cups, filters, or water. Watch the deck on the treehouse. When it's damp or raining it's slick as can be. Even with nonslip, rubber soled shoes on. Do not plan on laying in bed and reading, the lighting is horrible. This was a girls weekend, ladies pack your heat, the door doesn't lock. There are 2 bathrooms on the property, bring your towels and amenities...you'll need them. The river was slow moving but very murky, there is no way I would let my kids swim in it. Yuck! For the price they charge stay at the motel in town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathy R
Lexington, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I arrived to find that the teepees pictured in the advertisement shown online were taking at least 10 or 20 years ago. When we got inside of the teepees there was black mold all over the inside walls. The beds that were supposed to be queen size were not even full size. When I lifted one of the blankets on the bed dried insect remains fell out. Only one sheet with no mattress pad and the sheet had cigarette holes burned in it, with no top sheet and only a thin blanket. The top of the teepee was wrapped in plastic with several holes clearly visible in the teepee. Several tarps were draped over the decking with holes even in the tarps. The teepee was wet inside and smelled horrible. The deck that looked very sturdy in the picture was old and rotten in places. A couple staying next door indicated that it wasn't too bad if you though of it as camping. Well I am nearly 60 started out life in a canvas tent (what the teepees appeared to be made of) which will mold if it is not dried properly. I camp all the time and not in molded tents. They also indicated that the first morning a chicken entered their tent and laid an egg in the bed. Sounds exciting if your not from the county, chickens are creatures of habit and lay eggs in the same place if they can, so that chicken had done that before.
My daughter had rented a cabin it was dirty as well. If you stay at this place your are asking for trouble, hope you don't get some type of respiratory infection from all the mold.
This place should be shut down.

Stayed October 2013
5 Thank William P
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband, granddaughter and I spent the night in the Tree house this past week. Our granddaughter thought it was the coolest thing ever going camping and then getting to top it off by staying in a Tree house. I am a professionally cleaner and organizer and the Tree house was the only quarters I would have stayed in. I think the owners are very nice Christian people and were very nice and polite. With my cleaning background this property given a good makeover and a regular up-keeping could prosper. I took many beautiful pictures while I was there and a dream had came true for a little girl.

Room Tip: Visit the property first before paying for it and remember you are camping not staying in the Hilton...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jo M
Russellville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

My friend and I booked a stay at Diamond Johns last week. I'd read tons of reviews on different sites and chose to make up my own mind. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean and in great shape! We enjoyed the use of one of their canoes and went fishing on the river! The fishing was great that day! There were catfish, crappie, perch, black bass, and walleye. We stayed up all night sitting at our fire pit on our deck taking advantage of the free firewood they provide for you. John and Claire were as nice and professional as they could be! We spent time in the hot tub and enjoyed the stars. The campground was clean and well maintained. They had geese, ducks, chickens, peacocks, dogs, cats, and a horse roaming the property. The scenery was great! We were also just 1.6 miles from Crater of Diamonds State Park. We spent the day there and had a blast! Diamond Johns even provided the tools we needed for the day. They even let us return AFTER checking out to shower and clean up before our trip home. You wont find a hotel that will offer you that amenity!! lol
Overall I couldn't have had a better time! I've already made plans to go back next month with a few more friends. I highly recommend this for people who enjoy the outdoors and camping experiences.There wasn't anything to complain about!!! If you're looking for a frilly luxury hotel then this isn't the place for you. IT IS CAMPING! But, it you enjoy being right on the river surrounded by wilderness, this is the place for you! I cant wait until next month!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Chris F
North Little Rock, AR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked Diamond John's after reading the mixed reviews. There were 3 moms and 7 kids and I told the group we would be roughing it. We all tent camp and not prissy at all. :) Well, when we arrived we were shown the teepee that we had booked. The mold smell from the teepee was toxic! There was water on top of the bedding from recent rain and the window unit air conditioner, microwave and television were all plugged into an extension cord. This cord was laying in a puddle of water on the floor! We could not imagine staying there-it was completely unsafe. The treehouse cabin was not as bad, but still you have to walk quite a bit to get to the bathroom. The toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. We decided to leave immediately. We talked to the owners on the phone and they refused to refund our money. We ended up filing a dispute with our credit card and got our money refunded. This place has a lot of potential, but DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Amy L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Depending on what you are looking for and what your expectations are, this place could be either a nice place or a nightmare. The river access was perfect but for us and our three children, the fun stopped there. We stayed in the "tree house". We hated to leave our belongings to explore because the door did not lock. We are ok with rustic but filthy, not so much. Linens were not clean. There were fitted sheets but no flat sheets...just a quilt that I'm very certain hadn't been washed...ever. I feel bad giving this review because the owners were very nice. This place could be a great place to stay if they would put some effort into cleaning it up. It is very dirty and we could not wait for the sun to come up so we could get to our next stop to shower.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Mrdonnell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murfreesboro
Hampton Inn and Suites Hope
#3 of 3 in Nashville
Super 8 Hope
Super 8 Hope
#2 of 8 in Hope

Been to Diamond John's Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!