“Enjoyed it immensely!!!”

Diamond John's Riverside Retreat
Russellville, Arkansas
“Enjoyed it immensely!!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My friend and I booked a stay at Diamond Johns last week. I'd read tons of reviews on different sites and chose to make up my own mind. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean and in great shape! We enjoyed the use of one of their canoes and went fishing on the river! The fishing was great that day! There were catfish, crappie, perch, black bass, and walleye. We stayed up all night sitting at our fire pit on our deck taking advantage of the free firewood they provide for you. John and Claire were as nice and professional as they could be! We spent time in the hot tub and enjoyed the stars. The campground was clean and well maintained. They had geese, ducks, chickens, peacocks, dogs, cats, and a horse roaming the property. The scenery was great! We were also just 1.6 miles from Crater of Diamonds State Park. We spent the day there and had a blast! Diamond Johns even provided the tools we needed for the day. They even let us return AFTER checking out to shower and clean up before our trip home. You wont find a hotel that will offer you that amenity!! lol
Overall I couldn't have had a better time! I've already made plans to go back next month with a few more friends. I highly recommend this for people who enjoy the outdoors and camping experiences.There wasn't anything to complain about!!! If you're looking for a frilly luxury hotel then this isn't the place for you. IT IS CAMPING! But, it you enjoy being right on the river surrounded by wilderness, this is the place for you! I cant wait until next month!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Chris F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
North Little Rock, AR
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked Diamond John's after reading the mixed reviews. There were 3 moms and 7 kids and I told the group we would be roughing it. We all tent camp and not prissy at all. :) Well, when we arrived we were shown the teepee that we had booked. The mold smell from the teepee was toxic! There was water on top of the bedding from recent rain and the window unit air conditioner, microwave and television were all plugged into an extension cord. This cord was laying in a puddle of water on the floor! We could not imagine staying there-it was completely unsafe. The treehouse cabin was not as bad, but still you have to walk quite a bit to get to the bathroom. The toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. We decided to leave immediately. We talked to the owners on the phone and they refused to refund our money. We ended up filing a dispute with our credit card and got our money refunded. This place has a lot of potential, but DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank AmyL235
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Depending on what you are looking for and what your expectations are, this place could be either a nice place or a nightmare. The river access was perfect but for us and our three children, the fun stopped there. We stayed in the "tree house". We hated to leave our belongings to explore because the door did not lock. We are ok with rustic but filthy, not so much. Linens were not clean. There were fitted sheets but no flat sheets...just a quilt that I'm very certain hadn't been washed...ever. I feel bad giving this review because the owners were very nice. This place could be a great place to stay if they would put some effort into cleaning it up. It is very dirty and we could not wait for the sun to come up so we could get to our next stop to shower.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Mrdonnell
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I was soooo excited to see tee pee rentals and with all the website offers sounded great for kids! Pulled up 11 pages of mixed reviews. 1/2 good and 1/2 horrible. The no refunds was a question mark to start off with the numerous reviews of the smell of mold and urine smells in the tee pees and the un clean sheets and wasp nests were of concern to me as well.
So, I called to inquire. I cordially said, you have a lot of mixed reviews can to address some questions I have please.
I asked about the mold and urine smell. My answer was I should just get a hotel room. They spray with chemicals and it is after all camping. I replied what about the wasps nests and that I am allergic and sleeping in a tee pee with them isn't appealing. Once again, yes to wasps after all we are camping. I asked if she would like to rent a room that smelled of urine and mold and would be happy. No response...
Needless to say, I will be finding accommodations elsewhere and while the night searches for kids and the animals sound fun for the littles the way in which the phone call was handled was not in good taste.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Naartjie1
Davison, Michigan
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I took my grandson, who is six, on his first big vacation. We stayed in a teepee with one queen bed and one double futon. After only a couple hours at Diamond Johns he informed me he loved it there so much he never wanted to go anywhere else for vacation! We went to the diamond mines & water park one day but he loved it so much at camp he chose to just enjoy the river & camp the rest of our stay. The owners went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ask if we were satisfied with everything. This is CAMPING not the Ritz. My joy was in seeing this little boys dreams fulfilled and wonderful memories made.If you are adventurous... have kids who like the outdoors.... this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dodi48423
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We brought our 4 kids to Diamond Johns because like all the other reviews the Internet made it seem like a great place!!! We called a week in advance to book the treehouse cabin. They did not give us any confirmation which I thought was strange. On our way from Texas to Murfreesboro we call judged to confirm everything was good for us to come, she said yes. Once we arrived at their house, I immediately got sick to my stomach. There is no one there to greet you, & when I walked up to their house, there is a room with windows everywhere... Inside it is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.. There was freaking raw meat in the window with blood coming out & flies swarming the place... Within getting out of my vehicle to find the people, I had already seen enough and was ready to leave.. She finally began to walk outside after we had to bang on their door & all she said was is follow me.. We drove as she took us to the tree house... I stayed in the car with the kids while my fiance went inside with her.. she came walking out with old chocolate milk!!!! We went in and the beds had been changed in I dont know how long. I would have rather slept outside on the ground then in that nasty bed. I went knowing it was a camp setting, & was okay with it.. camp grounds are better and safer than this!!! We spent $220.00 for 2 nights & left within 10 minutes of being there.. We didn't even tell them we were leaving, we got out of there as quick as we could and drove to Hot Springs. We dished out another $200 there but were okay with knowing we would not be staying in hell for 2 days!!! The internet site is VERY MISLEADING!!!! The entire property is disgusting and has not been maintained at all!!!!!! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS DUMP!!! If you want to go diamond mining, stay in one of the hotels in town or better yet got to Wal-Mart and get a tent and pay to stay at the Crator of Diamonds State Park which I am sure is nicer than this dump hole!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank JMO1984
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family and I stayed 3 nights in a cabin. We had a great time and really enjoyed the animals, especially the peacocks. My kids really enjoyed the flashlight gem hunt. If it was any better it wouldn't be camping.

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murfreesboro
Hampton Inn and Suites Hope
Holiday Motor Lodge
Holiday Motor Lodge
#3 of 3 in Nashville
Glenwood Golf Course and Resort

Been to Diamond John's Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!