“Certainly unique”

Crater of Diamonds State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The only diamond mine in North America open to the public.
Rogers, Arkansas
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Certainly unique”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It's one of those places you are either going to love or hate. If you get easily bored, maybe this isn't for you. The thought of finding a real diamond excites most everyone. My excitement really nose-dived when I saw the "crater", more like a large plowed field. The pictures on this site give a pretty good idea what to expect. I hear there are two diamonds on average found each day. When I looked around at the hundred or so people there, I knew right then it wasn't gonna happen for me, I wasn't planning on working at it that hard. My saving grace was the fact someone told me there were just as many diamonds found by just walking around with your eyes on the ground as found digging. We did see a 2 1/2 carat diamond found, I got to hold it.

Visited June 2012
7 Thank carym357

Dallas, Texas
191 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Cheap Family Fun!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are looking for a day full of adventure and excitement at an affordable rate, this is it! Although the odds of you finding a diamond is slim, there have been some incredibly large diamonds found in these fields, and their locations are clearly marked. Every month the soil is turned over, so you have lots of opportunities to find something incredible! The diamonds are brown, the soil is brown, but the fun you will have digging in the dirt and hearing from a distance, "I think I found something!" is worth its weight in gold. Make sure you have sunscreen, as the sun can be brutal. As it was, our ears and necks still got red. Wear clothes you don't mind getting down and dirty in. You can bring your own tools or rent them cheaply. This was a great way to spend a birthday! And if you happen to find something, there are people on hand to help you appraise your find and mount it for you before you leave!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank VanEsq12
Northeast Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great family experience!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This year our 12 year old son got to pick where we went from spring break and he picked this park after hearing about it from his science teacher. We went Easter week and, as others have said, it was a cold, wet, windy week there. That made it very difficult to stay for much longer than 3 hours, especially with your hands in the water when sluicing. Next time I would bring my own good, thick rubber gloves instead of buying the thin "dishwashing" gloves they sell there. They just aren't thick enough and they ripped easily.

Definitely do a little online research before you go about where and how to dig and how to sift through the dirt. It was very helpful, even though we were working with very thick, hard and heavy mud that felt like packed clay. I would imagine that during the nice weather months it would get extremely hot, so pick the time of your visit carefully or make sure to thoroughly prepare.

We didn't find any diamonds either, but it was still great fun and a nice park. Employees are very nice and it's very interesting to learn about all the amazing diamond finds there.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank ksakmorris
Monticello, Arkansas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Diamond hunting”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This state park is very unique, you can dig for diamonds and keep any you find. They give you a demonstration on how to search. There is an area to get your findings identified. A campground is located there as well. A water park operates there in the summer.

Visited April 2013
Odessa, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
“probably not going to find diamonds”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

you're probably not going to find diamonds out there but it's still a fun trip to try and you never know!!!Would be a great time with kids, they learn a little history and we support our park system!
We went in april and it was still very hot! Take sunscreen and a little extra money for the water park if you go in the summer!

Visited April 2013