“Beautiful”

Blanchard Springs Recreation Area
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I've always loved a trip to BEAUTIFUL Mt View & the Blanchard Springs Recreation Area. Trout fishing is good in the lake, there are several nice hikes, & great camping sites. However, I became a bit disappointed when they started charging a fee to use the swimming area, & now that so many people recreate there & are misusing the river, the swim areas are often closed in the summer due to high counts of e. Coli. :-(

2  Thank Nanniebella
"visitor center"
"waterfall"
"caverns"

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We visited the recreation area after touring the caverns and had a picnic lunch in the picnic area. It is very beautiful here. We walked along the swim area(although we did not swim because the water was very low) and it was so pretty and interesting. We also stopped at the group camping area where there was a big pretty cave and walked around a little. Very quiet and peaceful out here. The restrooms did need some cleaning but I'm not sure how much park staff there is for the upkeep since it is a federal park(no funding from state or national park system) but all the grounds were clean and looked nice. We will visit again.

2  Thank ldc333
Reviewed September 16, 2013

It's only a short walk down an easy path to the cave where the spring emerges. Gorgeous. The hike around Mirror lake is a bit more strenuous due to the fact that it seemed less used. We went down below man made waterfall and got in the super cold water. The scenery was spectacular. There were a lot of people fishing mirror lake (trout). Although we did not stay at the campground, it appeared to be clean and well maintained. The whole Sylamore Creek area has wonderful hiking trails. Get yourself a trail map and get going!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

During our visit to Mountain View and the surrounding area, it rained and rained. Since we couldn't go out on the White River, we drove up mid-morning to the Springs. It was a fairly short walk from the car down the trail to the spring/waterfall. Since there was so much water in the area, I am sure we saw it really roaring and at capacity. We ate a lunch in picnic area above near a low water bridge area that was closed. We didn't go to the cavern but I have hear it. I used the restroom in the group camping area along the Sylamore Creek. It was really cobwebby and dusty. It wasn't being used much that weekend due to the high water.