“Kids loved it”

Ozark Folk Center State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ozark Folk Center is a people place,dedicated to the preservation and perpetuation of traditional Ozark Mountain crafts and music.Visitors can see presentations and demonstrations of the Ozark crafts and music, living history enactments and other special events that highlight this lifestyle. Apprentice and workshop programs pass these skills of the Ozark people to a new generation.As you visit the Folk Center, make your first stop the General Store near the parking lot. From here,buses will take you to the top of the Folk Center's hill to the Ozark Folk Center Theater and the Crafts Village. Stay in one of The Cabins and Dry Creek (60 units) The center also offers a restaurant, the Smokehouse in the Craft Village, conference/meeting facilities for groups large and small and specializes in business retreats and family reunions.
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I was afraid my 5 and 7 year old sons would get bored. I was wrong. They loved it as much as I did. I wish we had allocated more time. The staff was wonderful.

2  Thank Tex-traveler-10

Reviewed July 4, 2010

What a neat place. They have classes and events. My favorite was the donkey pulled swing!

1  Thank luvmyminidonks
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Incorporate a folk art workshop into your vacation plan. You'll get to visit with people more, take a memento home, and your workshop badge gets you into the Crafts Village Shops and Music Theater the day(s) you have classes.

Within the Crafts Village is the broom maker, the weavers, the furniture maker, the instrument maker, etc. You can watch demonstrations of the old crafts,ask questions, and browse the items for sale.

We stayed at the cabins at the park. They are not cabins, but lovely modern motel style rooms with a patio and two comfy chairs. For the ecologically conscious visitor, each day you fill out a card with check marks for what you require and don't require for each day's room clean up -toiletries, towels, bed linens, vac.

The evening we checked in there was a lady swimming in the pool on her back and singing. What a nice intro to the park.

The restaurant has a good selection of food, well prepared food, reasonably priced food, a pretty view, and a smiling staff who like their jobs and having you come into the restaurant.

Be sure to go into Mountain View each evening. The town musicians come out to play and sing at the park just because they love the music. And, you get to sit as long as you want to and listen. Yes. They take requests. There are a few benches. If you have a lawn chair, bring it.

2  Thank a_dragonfly
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I wondering what this place would be like. It was better then I thought it would be, bigger and we spent way more time their then I thought we would. We almost didn't go, glad we did. We didn't vist the music theater, wish we had gone to a show their.

2  Thank wallflowerone
Reviewed July 1, 2009

When visiting Mountain View, be sure to attend a concert at the folk center. Great talent and variety!!