Oualie Beach Resort
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club(New Castle)
$292
$400
Hyatt.com
$425
  • Beachfront
Golden Rock Inn(Charlestown)(Great Value!)
$168
$163
Montpelier Plantation & Beach(Charlestown)(Great Value!)
$455
$150
Timothy Beach Resort(Frigate Bay)(Great Value!)
$171
$135
Sugar Bay Club(Frigate Bay)
$130
$120
$169
$144
Travelocity
All reviewslaid backtuesday nightst kittsblues festivalchef garytin tinsand fliesfour poster bedwater taxicleaned dailylobsterisland lifeair conditionercaribbean experiencethe cottagestrue caribbeantaxi driver
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I spent two glorious nights here with my husband and two small children, ages two and three. Everything about this place is wonderful! The price was fantastic, as was the beach and restaurant. We stayed in one of the two queen bed cottages directly on the beach. It was awesome sitting on the front screened in porch looking at the water. This place seems to have one of the best and most calm beaches on the island. When Friday night arrived, all the locals came here to hang out and let their children swim. They had live music on Friday night and it was spectacular. We took a cab into town and got some of that delicious local barbecue while we were here. The one thing that I would have found helpful is to probably have some sort of scooter or rental car while you stay here because there's not really anywhere that's within walking distance if you have children with you. The cab to and from the ferry terminal was $15 each way, plus we took a cab to get the BBQ, so this adds up pretty quick. I found the restaurant to be really nice. It is a nice touch how they really go all out with the white table cloths at night! The lanterns and ambiance are really romantic. I would highly recommend this place!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bextel
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We have been going to Nevis for 20 years and while we have stayed at the resort several times, we eat at the restaurant several times every visit and spend afternoons at the beach after lunch. The resort feels like the authentic Caribbean to us. It is not spiffy like the 4 Seasons but it has a feel of Nevis that we love. The food is varied, fresh and well prepared. The staff, especially Marcie and Michelle, is friendly and engaging. The fish tacos are the best I have eaten. The bar is friendly and is a center for the resort and the surrounding community. I couldn't imagine being in Nevis without spending a good part of our time at Oualie.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kent D
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed with, partner and daughter, staff were excellent, special mention for Stacey, Michelle, Marcie and Tim, nothing to much trouble. Authentic caribbean. Wonderful setting, wonderful people, best place I have ever been, can't wait to get back in 2015.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed here in April 2014. We were pre warned by the reviews, so approached our stay with eyes wide open. We have no axe to grind as we really enjoyed our time in Nevis, but we enjoyed our stay in spite of the hotel not because of it.
We were with our two children and rented two adjoining rooms, one with a kitchenette. To be clear we aren't particularly fussy and simple can be beautiful, however this hotel clearly suffers from a lack of investment which means that it is fundamentally not particularly comfortable.
The positives; a great location, on a very family friendly beach, the architecture is also charming, think colonial era/style wooden cottages, peace and quiet, lots of lovely hammocks, charming 50s style interiors, good cleaning.
The negatives; the rooms and many of the appliances look like they haven't been updated since the 70s. I'd include in this sofa and armchairs where the springs have gone to the extent that you can't sit in them without sever discomfort, a Hot Point cooker that must have made pre 1980, flimsy curtains with no black out fabric, grimy and very dated bathrooms, battered tv and controls, air con units that may have been coal fired they were so dated, no facilities beyond that which the hotel can drive revenue from i.e. bar, restaurant and rooms.
Much of the rooms consist of white basic woodwork, that has had hell kicked out of it, and clearly been white washed year after year.
After a day or two I worked out that the way to enjoy the place unconditionally was to think of it as time travel i.e. akin to staying in a colonial style yesterday world, where creature comforts didn't exist, but things were simpler, quiet and more charming.
This lasted for about 30 minutes, then I remembered the receptionist who could barely smile when we arrived, who when asked what the forecast was, said she didn't know, I should google it, the policy of trying to charge us $70 USD for a cot when we had already paid for an extra room for the kids, the $2 dollar charge for a free tourist map(serioiusly???) This meanness of spirit undermines the potential charm of the place.
We paid $300 USD for two rooms, on Nevis this is ok value, but if you paid the rack rate of $300 for one room you'd be livid.
Read the reviews carefully and many of the positive reviews also mention the hotel is dilapidated to some extent, I think people tend to be charmed by the architecture and island rather than the hotel.
All in all though I enjoyed it, but then again I did always want to see what Fawlty Towers would have been like.
So potentially a lovely hotel, but until you hear they have made major investment in improving the furnishings/appliances etc. I wouldn't bother.
I would suggest the Nisbet, Hermitage or Golden Rock all of which have charm, and in the case of the latter two have stunning buildings and or gardens.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank danwestLondon
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was there in March this year. We had stayed at the Marriott and thought it would be nice to see another island. The beds were not at all comfortable, the screen was coming off of our porch and overall was pretty dated. It is great being close to the beach but the beach did not look like it does on thumbnail. There was a lot of grass and it wasn't groomed. We did see starfish and sea turtles right off the beach. The restaurant food was way overpriced and they were out of a lot of things and subsituted pita break for chips, no salsa for salsa and chips. Our simple breakfast was over $60. You shouldn't have a medium priced hotel and then charge four seasons prices. The staff was really nice, which was nice. I did have the worse massage that I have ever had in my entire life. The spa was a vacant hotel room, nothing spa-like about it, The massage oil was more like crisco oil and the woman had no idea how to give a massage. I had so much oil on me I felt like you may as well stick an apple in my mouth and roast me on the bonfire. Very disappointing for an hour massage close to $100. There is no snorkel equiptment to rent and the bike place was out of bikes. We walked to the Gallipot and their food was really good. Our favorite meal was at the Oasis in the Gardens--amazing Thai food! The staff was so great, the views were amazing! We had a cabby that was recommended by someone on the boat by the name of Sidney--an older gentleme with the only white ford van on the island. He wanted to watch our luggage when we got over to port and ended up leaving us stranded for over an hour while he took other fairs without telling us. I had to get the police and he was still beligerent. He wanted us to pay him for watching our luggage after we refuse to use his taxi service... stay away, the guy should not even be driving. Back to Oualie, the place has such a neat set up and location, they could just do so much more with the place

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple