Oualie Beach Resort
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club(New Castle)
$309
Hyatt.com
$537
$425
  • Beachfront
Golden Rock Inn(Charlestown)(Great Value!)
$168
$163
Montpelier Plantation & Beach(Charlestown)(Great Value!)
$455
Timothy Beach Resort(Frigate Bay)(Great Value!)
$163
$135
Sugar Bay Club(Frigate Bay)
$120
$169
$110
getaroom.com
All reviewslaid backtuesday nightst kittsblues festivalchef garytin tinsand fliesfour poster bedwater taxicleaned dailylobsterisland lifeair conditionercaribbean experiencethe cottagestrue caribbeantaxi driver
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just got back from The Oualie Beach Resort, Nevis West Indies. I have to say right from the start this Resort is the way the Caribbean should be. It is a laidback, no shoes, Blues, kind of place.

Arrival after a long journey, (Antigua- St Kitts- Speed boat to Nevis), at night is an adventure in itself. You are greeted with a cocktail and taken to your room, in time to shower and change for dinner. We arrived on a Tuesday night which is BBQ night, so that is even more laid back (if that's possible) than most nights.

This is not a resort for nightlife, but on a Tuesday you might be lucky as we were to enjoy the musical talents of "Jack and the Rippers" a group of American guys, who all being amateur musicians rock up and entertain with a mix of rock and west coast R'n'B. We also had the talents of one of the owners, John Yearwood, a very competent guitarist, and a fair singer to boot!

We found the staff very friendly, and they all go that extra mile for the guests, comfort and enjoyment. Special mention goes to Michelle, the friendliest of a very friendly bunch of waitresses.

If anything was slightly disappointing, it's the food. From my own view it caters for the majority, and I found if a bit bland and repetitive, however, Michelle came to our rescue with the local "Hot Pepper Sauce" which really spiced things up, and every meal after that was a joy!

The accommodation is basic West Indian style, there are some rooms on the first floor, which must have great views, we had a very nice beach front room called "Trade Winds" which had a central location half-way down the beautiful beach.

The resort has a lot of trees and foliage, which does attract insects, so take plenty of repellent, but on the plus side it also attracts Vervet Monkeys, and we spent many an afternoon watching them play in the trees, and on the ground. They are quite shy and will runaway if approached, so I'd suggest taking a telephoto lense if you have one.

We travelled all over the Island of Nevis, and found everyone we met very friendly, even in the capital, Charlestown, people were helpful and gave you space. You got the local Taxi drivers asking you if you wanted a taxi, but other than that we were not harassed at all. In fact the only time we were harassed at all was in the airport in St kitts, but even that was quite mild.

All-in-all if you want to see the Caribbean the way it was and should be, I'd recommend a trip to Oualie Beach, Nevis.

Room Tip: Any Beach front Room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave3man
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Having just returned from Oualie Beach - my second visit in 5 years I am delighted to report that it is just as charming as I remember. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The cottages on the beach were extremely comfortable with the most beautiful outlook and were clean and well thought out - with coffee machine, t.v. and radio, a safe and fridge, A/C. The bar was a very friendly place to be, with outside seating to watch the sun go down. The food in the restaurant was good - a great choice for breakfast also, along with good bar food. The beach is safe and you can walk out a fair distance. The gardens are beautifully looked after with lovely shells surrounding the lush tropical flower beds. There is live music twice a week at the bar and is a wonderful way to meet the incredibly friendly local people. The snorkelling trip thru Ellis was great, and also a must is to be driven around the island in a buggy thru Funky Monkeys - Don was very charming and made the day extremely enjoyable. I could go on and on about this resort, as when I left, I felt I was leaving an extended family! Many of the other guests I met have been going back year after year and I hope to become one of them!! To me this is the old-style caribbean, if you are looking for 'all singing, dancing 5 star facilities' this is not for you - but if you want to feel totally relaxed and in the hands of charming staff - go for it. The water taxi is a must and makes the journey from St. Kitts airport, uncomplicated, fun and a great way to start your hols. The owner John has done a fantastic job and his guitar playing is pretty cool also!! I wouldn't want to go anywhere else - thank you all at Oualie Beach Resort ...... see you next year!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Oualie Beach Resort. If you're looking for a basic hotel, right on the beach for some relaxation, this is the place! We stayed 5 days at the Four Seasons and then 2 nights at Oualie. We had a cottage right on the beach, with hammocks, beach chairs and quiet relaxation. It was off-season, so the spa wasn't open, the dive shop was closed and most restaurants were closed, but I can't blame that on the hotel. But, if you are going in the off-season, you may want to check what's open while you are there. After 2 nights, we moved over to St. Kitt's so I could get some diving done. The local dive shop kept saying we would go out, but each day he did't have enough people wanting to go, so I missed a couple days of diving. My wife loved the quiet relaxation. I did snorkel some, but nothing great. The sunsets were great and some really quality time. Cottages were very cute, 4 post canopy bed, really nice for a couple. Staff was really nice, helped with taxi arrangements to the local store and always asking how we were doing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Came to Nevis to visit with daughter on St Kitts and go to a wedding on Nevis. Booked our room at Oualie Resort way in advance so the price was great. It's not a fancy place but so peaceful.The beds are very comfortable. Everything worked but the lock on the door would only lock from the inside and not with the key. The first couple of days when we came back to our room after maid service I found the door was not locked. After I let them know about this they made sure it was locked. Always felt safe there and the grounds have lighting at night. Did not have enough time to do much snorkeling from the beach at Oualie. What I saw was not great. Loved the hammocks. It was the off season so not many people there. Only had one dinner there which was good, but really loved their breakfast. Our taxi driver for the week was Leroy. If you don't have a large group I would recommend him. He does not have a van like some of the other drivers and is very pleasant and has a sense of humor. Had great time going kayaking. Spent one day at Pinney beach which had pretty good snorkeling. Good snorkeling at the Four Seasons too. Had a nice lunch there after kayaking. Went back for dinner but was sick the next day and almost missed the wedding. Not sure if it was the dinner. We also went zip lining on St Kitts and stayed 2 nights at the Marriott. St Kitts is different from Nevis. Much more going on, more places to visit and eat.
Marriott is beautiful, lots of people. Our room smelt a little moldy but once we turned air conditioner way up it was better. Taking the ferry was ok. The Mark Twain only has seating inside and would rather sit on top like you can with the caribesurf/breeze. Definitely use the water taxi to get to Nevis and Oualie after long day of air travel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Texasstar54
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is my first time writing a review for trip Advisor but have used Trip Advisor many times and have really benefited from this site. So I thought this place was delightful enough to spend a little time so maybe others could benefit from my review.

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at this place. Yes the rooms are on the beach. The beach cottages look like they could use a little bit of freshening up on the outside but once you got into the room, I don't think we could find a grain of sand on the floor, very clean and the resort seemed to be conscientious to keep the rooms clean . We had a nice four poster king bed that was very comfortable. We stayed in the Dolphin Cove and the room was a good comfortable size. The beach seemed like it was etched out in to a little cove so all of the water activities on the island were stationed there, such as kayaking, sailing and swimming. From what the locals told me, this was the best beach this island had to offer. Great for swimming, i did 500 yd swims every morning and evening, trying to burn those calories I packed on in the restaurant. The diving is great. I'm not an experienced diver but I went with a couple of experienced divers who seemed to have Jet-set diving all over and they gave it a thumbs up. We did a two tank dive, one was 60-100 ft while the other was around 30 ft. Lots of coral encrustations and wildlife, its a whole new world under there. The dive master was great. He was hands on and managed to slip away to laugh about this inexperienced diver without me knowing it :)

I saw a little plaque in the lobby recognizing the chef for being best cook on the island as far as resorts go. The food was great, (breakfast tacos are to die for) We did go around eating at other places on the island such as Sunshines, Golden Rock and the Nesbit Plantation. These places were tasty as well but for the value we could have easily stayed at Oualie. Golden Rock was interesting. We ate there for lunch one afternoon and WOW what a view. Nesbit Plantation was very nice and plush, this was one of Princess Diana's hang outs but was pricey and the beach was not as good as what we had experienced at Oualie. Sunshines is an experience! If we would have had another day or two we would have returned. We heard of a place called Bananas that was a local kind of place that was well talked about but there just was not enough time.

I really think the best thing about this place were the employees. We stayed for 5 days and I felt like i was leaving some dear friends. They were all very personable and really wanted to make you feel welcomed. Anything we needed they couldn't wait to help..eg, arranging a rental car for the day, getting boarding passes for our departure flight and even a little peroxide for my wife's foot. There were some local regulars around the bar that enjoyed Carib on draft and loved to talk about American politics, so it was fun and i think they learned a lot !!! Great fun and great conversation with these locals.

Ok this is my review I hope it helps. Will I return?... you bet! What would I change?....I'd dive every day, probably add a bike trip to the top of the volcano, try out Bananas, and make a return to Sunshines.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple