“Honeymoon Heaven in Nevis”

Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in New Castle
Bowie, MD
“Honeymoon Heaven in Nevis”
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My father's side of the family is from Nevis (my maiden name being Nisbett - with 2 T's :-), so my mother sent us for our Honeymoon this year. It was just the most beautiful place I have ever seen and I literally cried when we had to leave! Words can't express the hospitality shown by the workers at the resort. I can't wait until we go back.

Stayed June 2007
10 Thank NevisLovers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We had the pleasure of staying at the Nisbet Plantation from July 25 through August 1. What everyone has written about the staff is certainly true. They actually seem to love their jobs! Steve, Kaddy, Dan, Ros, Angela and Violet are the best. A special thank you to Angela who was so kind to me when I became ill (fortunately I quickly recovered) and to Steve who solved our tee off problems at the Four Seasons. Breakfast and dinner ( especially dinner) were great. The food was fresh, varied, and well prepared. We thought that lunch was a bit pricey and not as good, but to take taxis to other places seemed a waste of money and beach time. Our room was lovely , with attractive furnishings and bedding. Bathrooms are large and updated with robes, a hair dryer, and toiletries. The beach was closeby. Shade is easy to find , especially off season. There was a constant breeze (at the beach) but it did get hot as you moved away from the water.We brought "water shoes" and I recommend them, unless you only want to swim in the pool. The landscaping is not lush, but rather natural. Flat shoes are a must because you will find yourself walking on sand or grass. There are no paths or paved walkways. We took a 3 hour tour of the island and went to St Kitt's by ferry. We did go to Sunshine's one day for lunch. The grilled fish was the best we have ever eaten, but it is a rather unusual place!!Other than that and a bit of golf ($200 a round), we stayed at the beach. Erin and Glenn, the managers, were very accomodating and mingled with the guests. They take their jobs very seriously. If you are looking for a lot of activities in a large hotel this is not for you. If you want peace and quiet in a lovely but not fancy setting, consider staying here.

• Liked — Access to the beach and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — People who were not hotel guests using the facilities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank NJtravelers23
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Nisbet Plantation in April 2007 for our honeymoon. It was such an amazing and wonderful experience, we will definitely be going back for one of our anniversaries. The entire staff was so very personable, it made the entire trip worth the long journey there and back to Spanish Fort, Alabama, where we reside. After leaving Nisbet, we felt like we had made several friends with the staff! The food was unforgettable and so incredible. We couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon! We had such a lovely and memorable time, that we will definitely be back soon!

• Liked — The scenery and the staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MarlaBama
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Nisbet for 8 nights in May. Every single one of those 8 nights was special. The hotel, view and grounds are lovely, the food is delicious but as most reviewers have mentioned, it's the staff that really knocks your socks off. Roslyn, Violet, Steve, Dan and many others went out of their way time after time to make our vacation a wonderful memory. When my husband's luggage did not arrive with our flight, Steve arrived with pants! When I mentioned I loved the mango chutney, the morning we departed there was a jar of chutney waiting at the front desk. When my husband inquired about directions to "Bananas" restaurant (very delicious), 3
different servers including Violet went to the trouble of drawing maps and writing directions. If you want to rent a car, they will have the rental company come to the hotel. The morning our flight left, Roslyn was off for the day but before we checked out, our phone
rang, and there she was, calling to say goodbye from her home where she was cleaning fish for dinner. I'm from the South but never in my life have I met such warm, loving and genuinely gracious people. I honestly believe they would give you the clothes off their backs. It made leaving a very difficult and somewhat tearful event. During the course of our stay, we met numerous visitors to Nevis who were staying at the Four Seasons and complained about how poor and impersonal the service was there. This exchange usually occurred during an unforgettable dinner at Nisbet as they witnessed the hospitality and friendliness of the staff. Invariably, we heard the comment, "Next time, we'll be certain to stay here instead." So, go ahead and give yourself a real treat: stay at Nisbet, relax, enjoy the beach, the beautiful views and fabulous food, and meet a group of people I promise you'll never forget!

• Liked — The beautiful grounds, views, food and outstanding staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Smiles4miles
maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We had the good fortune of staying the week of july 3 - 10, 2007. After you leave customs you are met by a nisbet employee who ushers you into a taxi. It is a 5 minute ride tops. Be prepared for the prices of taxis. What is fascinating to me about Nevis is the people of the island. Little crime, high literacy rate. Most caribbean islands have so much poverty you don't want to leave your resort, not so with Nevis.

Check in went smoothly and we were immediately brought to our jr premier suite. Our luggage was already there waiting. One bag was lost in transit and we just gave them our tags and they tracked it down and delivered it to our room that evening. In my opinion the upgraded rooms are totally worth it.

Living in the south we're used to friendly folks. Yes, the people who work at the resort are friendly, but not in an in your face bothering you every minute kind of way. It's a way more conservative island.

The restaurant is as everyone says. It's so nice to get a little dressed for dinner and go hang out for a little while at the bar before dinner. The drinks are quite strong and I often had to ask them to weaken them for me. The first night the food was only luke warm, but delicious. The last night my sea bass was quite fishy, but no one else at the table had the same problem. Other than that it was top notch not only in taste, but presentation.

We rented a scooter for a few days to get around the island and we figured next time we'd do it for the entire week. We rode to sunshines and had some awesome lobster. It's a must. We took the catamaran snorkeling trip to st kitts that was very enjoyable.

We also had a fabulous dinner at montpelier. The bugs never bothered us there as they have these rings under the table to ward off bugs. The sticky toffee pudding in particular was spectacular.

There is never an issue finding a seat in the shade. I felt completely taken care of at the resort. I loved the fresh fruit at breakfast and Violet was a total sweetheart. In fact the first few days I thought I might explode with all the eating we were doing!

We saw kids there, but I honestly thought most of them looked bored. There is nothing to do there but eat and lay out in the sun. It should really be stressed that it isn't a place for kids. The only downside was that there was a large wedding party there at the same time. Many of them acted like they owned the place and I saw many of them being rude to the staff who was nothing but pleasant to them. They didn't adjust to the island, they expected everything to revolve around them. Thankfully I wasn't near them much. After all the special requests and attention paid to them they were telling us how it wasn't necessary to tip, but they were wrong.

Now onto the tipping. It was very confusing on how we were supposed to handle the tipping. They automatically charge you 10% so you only tip if you feel they went above and beyond. The way we handled it was to tip at the end of the vacation to a few people who made the trip so memorable.

Be warned you are charged for every drink, there are no free soda refills like in the states.

I'm not normally someone who wants to travel back to the same place twice as it's a big world, I want to see it all. However, the next time hubby and I get time away, we'll run right back. It was one of the most relaxation vacations I've ever had, and my favorite caribbean island.

• Liked — gorgeous hotel
  • Disliked — a bit windy on the beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
14 Thank amyinmd
Rotterdam
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Beginning of June we spent 9 days on Nevis at the Nisbet Plantation.

We wanted to visit St. Kitts and Nevis and were looking for a good place to stay. We read all the reviews before we went. It was a choice between Ottley’s Plantation on St. Kitts and Nisbet Plantation on Nevis.

Nisbet won because it had better reviews. We made the right decision. Nisbet is even better than all the reviews. We travel alot and stayed in many 5 and 6 star hotels. We went to Tahiti, Bora Bora, St. Maarten, Aruba, Italy, Spain, France, Ireland etc.. Nisbet can compete with all the best hotels in the world.

But what makes this place so special is not only the beautiful plantation but the people that work there. We read alot of the reviews and the personel don’t get enough credit, so we decided to give them some in our review.

First of all Steve at reception. When he says he is going to take care of something he is going to do it immediatly. Not the next day. We had some specific requests and he made them all happen.

Then there is Kaddy. He is the best cocktail maker on the island. Ask for a Banana Daiquiry or ask for his special. Best of all he doesn’t let your glass get empty. He always greets you with a big smile. Just being in his company brings a smile on your face.

During breakfast you will have the company of the lovely Violet. She will always make you feel that she is very happy to see you. And she means it. What better way to start the day. If you want anything special to eat for dinner just ask her. She will make your wish come through. She makes you really feel at home.

If you need dancing classes or just a fresh up course you have to meet Roslyn. Dancing with her on BBQ night was exhausting. We had a wonderful time.

Last but surely not least is Patterson. This gentleman has more then 7000 neckties. He always has time to speak with you and make you feel very welcome. By the way, the necktie he is wearing in the picture came all the way from Holland (van Gogh - the painter).

Now a little about the island and what we recommend and don’t recommend.

Take an island tour of St. Kitts and of Nevis. Steve will arrange this for you. All you need to do is
show up on time.

Places to visit on Nevis:
For Nevis a must is Sunshines. The food and ambiance is wonderful. Wether you go for lunch or for dinner. If you are lucky they have lobster on the menu.

The views during the day of St. Kitts at hotel Mount Nevis is stunning. The food (we had lunch) isn’t that good.

The Golden Rock Plantation Inn has also beautifull views. However it is very remotely located.

We also had dinner at Montpelier Plantation Inn. We read that the views from the veranda are stunning at night. We didn’t see anything. The trees were to high and blocked the view. The food and wine was good. Service was excellent. Too bad for the mosquito’s. They do not have screens on the patio like Nisbet has. So if you go there use some bug spray.

Take the time to visit some of the museums. Entrance is cheap and you learn something about the history of the island, the people and their culture.

While visiting Nevis we had a specific taxi driver that we could count on the whole time. His name is Calvin Ward. Ask Steve if he can arrange this for you. It isn’t expensive and it is very relaxing as you don’t have to drive yourself.

St. Kitts is the sister island of Nevis. We visited St. Kitts more then 10 years ago.

Where Nevis hasn’t changed much in recent years, St. Kitts has. They are building big hotels on St. Kitts, a golf course, a horse and dog race track etc. Near the harbour there is a new shopping mall with many jewelery stores. To cater for the cruise ships. This really has nothing to do with the island. Really a shame.

When visiting St. Kitts a must is having lunch at Rawlings Plantation. An experience in itself.

Now what would be a negative point of Nisbet? Well, all we can think of is that at some point in time you have to leave.

We will be visiting Nevis and Nisbet again!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
22 Thank Rob en Sonia
Portsmouth, England
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We spent 12 nights at Nisbet and loved every minute of it! We met the most friendly staff (genuinely friendly and helpful, not after a tip) and the food was excellent too. We never made it to the afternoon tea as we wanted to save ourselves for dinner which was always varied and tasty. The cocktails were great too - especially the martinis which are huge!

There was good snorkelling from the hotel (not comparable to the Maldives but enough to keep you entertained) and the swimming pool was big enough and not too busy.

I recommend booking the taxi trip round the island. We booked it via the hotel and had a great time. Having a beach barbecue at Sunshine's restaurant was also a great experience, we loved the Killer Bees (not as strong as the guide book said, the rum punch at Nisbet is much more potent) and the atmosphere.

• Liked — Cleanliness, size
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Paradise Beach Nevis
Paradise Beach Nevis
#4 of 7 in Nevis

Been to Nisbet Plantation Beach Club? Share your experiences!