“Nisbet a gem in the Caribbean !”

Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in New Castle
Fair Haven, New Jersey
“Nisbet a gem in the Caribbean !”
Reviewed June 9, 2006

I am a bit late writing a review since my husband and myself vacationed at Nisbet Plantation over 6 months ago last November, but it is worth writing. After much time researching a place to go in the Caribbean, we decided on Nevis and Nisbet Plantation. We are both pleased with our decision. We arrived right after the renovations and found our premium room with beautiful new furniture and bright Caribbean colors. We had a wonderful ocean view and great balcony on the top floor. Great bathroom also !! In November we had NO bugs, it was great !

The staff is absolutely top notch !! I got a bit sunburned one day and at breakfast (delicious !!) one of the girls brought aloe leaves from her home for me! Boy that helped!!
Patterson the maitre d' went beyond the call of duty to make dinner a pleasure every night. The bartenders made fabulous drinks and the lounge in the Great House was relaxing and a great place to meet other guests. As you see from other reviews, the beach bbq was fun and the seafood was wonderful.

The only problem-the new hot tub was installed the day we left,oh well got to try it out next year!

I have to say we were sad to leave such a tranquil and true Caribbean hideaway!! Thanks Bev and Wally (Mgrs) for a wonderful experience !!

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank beachbud4luv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 25, 2006

My new husband and I just got back from a 10 day honeymoon to Nisbet. It was wonderful. We love to lay in the sun, dine out, and meet locals and other vacationers. This was the spot. The food was excellent. The staff was friendly and incredibly accomodating. I cannot remember a time where a request was not granted without a "no problem." We really enjoyed the beach. The sand is coral, not the typically white Carribean sand, but still was very nice. There is snorkling at Nisbet all the way out to the coral reef. There is a lot to see. We spent some time with the staff there and my husband was taken spear fishing by one of the staff and then we cooked out with his family (lobster, conch, crab, local fish). It was a great experience. Their Thursday night party is great with more seafood than you can imagine and complimentary rum punch. We spent a couple of days renting a car and touring the island. There is not much to see in the downtown area, but we walked around drinking some Carib's (local beer) and talking to the locals. We never once felt unsafe on this beautiful island. We will definitely be back to Nevis and to Nisbet Plantation. I recently read a post that the food was not good, but trust me, it is exceptional. They serve a three course meal every night. I recommend getting the meal plan, it is worth it (alcohol is not included, so we bought some beer to put in our mini fridge at the local market). We had all sorts of appetizers and desserts, lobster and local fish for dinner. The breakfast is also great and provides a lot of variety with local specials every morning. You can also request a continental breakfast in your room at no additional charge. It was wonderful. There is not much of a nightlife on the island past about 10pm unless you go to some other local bars like Rumours or Oalie. Also, the rooms are great. We booked the middle room and found it to be better than the more expensive rooms. There is a screened in porch and a patio. The rooms are very clean and the staff is great and provides turn-down service every night. There were quite a few honeymooners there as well, which was nice. We spent a couple of days at Sunshine's and met Sunshine himself. Beware of the killer bees. I don't know what they put in those things, but they pack a punch. Definitely do the snorkeling trip thru the four seasons. It was a great time. All in all, Nisbet was fantastic!

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank june20
Chicago
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Our experience of Nisbet Plantation was completely opposite to that of the posting from "Tripadvisor member" hoboken, nj. The food was out of this world....and trust me we dine out on Gourmet food often. Not a microwave or Sarah Lee box in sight!....I cannot believe the thought that went into that comment!
We didn't find it at all expensive but thought it well worth the money!
We had such a great experience that we are returning this June!
We can't wait!
I will post another review after this years vacation in paradise!

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank dogmum
Hoboken
Reviewed May 11, 2006

I stayed for only a few days at Nisbet after spending over 1 week at another plantation on Nevis, and I have to say I was let down. It is a wonderful setting and location but I had a huge issue with the price. The prices of the cottages are relatively low, but trust me they make up for it on drinks and food! Dinner is insanely expensive for really not very good food. Most of dinner seemed straight from the microwave and the Sarah Lee box. I will not tell you what dinner cost for 2 but I will tell you that I am by far not frugal. I have eaten and stayed at some of the finest hotels in New York, Boston, and LA and will not flinch at an expensive meal when it is worth it. Also, if you want a $40 plus 18% tax and tip bad breakfast for two, this is the hotel for you. I am very disappointed to say the least. My wife and I were shocked after spending so much time at another plantation and loving it. With that said, the cottages are very nice, and so is the beach. Just remember that the low cost cottage on the beach will be paid for with the crazy expensive food and drinks while you are there.....

• Stayed May 2006
30 Thank MJC9678
Boston, Ma.
Reviewed May 3, 2006

This is a really lovely property with little multi-room cottages spread out on a wide green lawn area that fronts the ocean. Premium rooms are closer to the ocean, but in my opinion, not worth the extra money. However, if you do want a premium room, specifically request a top floor premium room. The ground level premium rooms are small and a little dark, while the top ones have cathedral ceilings that give a sense of spaciousness and light. I would recommend staying in a Deluxe room, which has a seperate screened in porch area. The porch gives protection from the mosquitos, while letting you enjoy the great ocean breezes. Premium rooms have a balcony, they do not have the screened porch. Also, most Deluxe rooms are very close to the beach. It was difficult to figure out why the hotel charges more for a Premium room when the Deluxe rooms are both cheaper and nicer.

The beach is very pretty, but does not have the fine white sand that you usually find in the Caribbean. There is nothing wrong with this--it is just different than what I expected. As other reviewers have mentioned, the staff is exceptionally nice at Nevis Plantation. The food is excellent and the on-site resturant where you dine in the evening has a really lovely porch, which is very romatic at night when it is lit by candlelight. There were lots of families and honeymooners when we were there and everyone seemed to thoroughly love the place. Many people seemed to come back with a group of family or friends year after year. I would not call Nevis Plantation a "five star" property, but it is a solid "four star". Clean, comfortable, pretty with a friendly, laid back atomosphere. I thought it also offered very good value for the money.

12 Thank Elfy
virginia, USA
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We spent months researching our honeymoon and finally picked Nisbet. We have absolutely no regrets. The beach was beautiful, the service impeccable, the resort stunning and meticulously maintained (the website just does not do justice), and the food, our biggest concern, was great.

The food: The chef does a nice job of incorporating local ingredients as well as international elements in the food. There were many varied choices each night at dinner. We have traveled all over the world and have pretty high standards for food, and we were more than satisfied. The bartenders were great--I definitely recommend the all-in-one, a blend of fruits, rum, and coconut cream. Tea is a wonderful meal with tea sandwiches, scones, and cake.

The setting: The Plantation house is beautiful, and the whole resort is decorated in perfect keeping with a breezy tropical/updated colonial style. While not overly plush, it's still luxurious. Marble counter in the spotless bathroom, fancy ceiling fan, original watercolors in the rooms are all nice touches. We booked the middle category of room and didn't regret it. There are lots of books and games in the great house if you are bored, and croquet is always a nice diversion.
Responding to some negative points raised by other reviewers:
Yes, there are a few ants in the bathroom, but that didn't bother us. There are ants in our house in the US too. There were no other insects except mosquitoes at night on the beach. The ocean is a little rocky for swimming, but my husband snorkeled and said it was pretty good. The beach is perfect for lounging on as there are lots of coconut trees for shade if you need it, as well as plenty of sunny spots. The pool is decent as is the hot tub.

If you want great watersports, exciting activities, and to feel like you are still in America, this is not the place for you. If you want quality food, a relaxed vacation with no responsibilities, service from a genuinely nice staff, and a feeling that you belong, however briefly, to another world, this is the perfect place. We were able to completely relax after our hectic wedding and work schedules, and felt special and pampered the entire time we were there.

• Stayed April 2006
18 Thank Grisette77
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Just returned from a week in Nevis, our first trip to this island. I relied many of our choices on reviews from trip advisor (all spot on!). In fact, could not decide between Nisbet or Montpelier, so decided to split the week to experience the beach and the hills. Both were lovely in very different ways. Nisbet was everything we wanted for the beach portion of our vacation. It is a low key sort of place, bungelows are spaced out well and dotted all over the property and rarely do you hear or see many other guests. The beach is exactly as it appears on photos on the website, really one of the prettiest I've seen and certainly the nicest we visited on the island. We loved just lazing the days at the breezy beach under the palm trees. The food is very good. The highlight of our trip was the Beach BBQ on Thursday night. Not to be missed! The seafood was wonderful and dancing to the band on the beach was great fun. Breakfast - yum! The fresh juices were amazing and the location of breakfast is in a restaurant right on the beach. I did not expect there to be so many children at the resort, but it did not present a problem as we still felt that we had so much privacy and the place is so quiet. The rooms are colorful, carribean style. and yes, there were tiny ants in the room! Didn't bother us. We rented a car for one day and drove around the island. I'm so glad we did, had lunch at Golden Rock and stopped by other properties (Hermitage and Four Seasons) just to check them out. We were SO happy we selected Nisbet. Would we return? you bet!

14 Thank lifeofriley
Ocean Terrace Inn
#2 of 5 in Basseterre
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Nisbet Plantation Beach Club? Share your experiences!