“Charming, serene and elegant”

The Mount Nevis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in New Castle
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Charming, serene and elegant”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Mount Nevis Hotel and Beach Club is a very elegant hotel, in a serene setting which presents the visitor with dual views of a majestic mountainous landscape and the beautiful blue sea. The location is really peaceful and the hotel is charming and while I was visiting on business, it would be a great destination for a relaxing stay for couples.

My room was spacious with an elegant decor (Building 3 - Plantations), the linens were comfortable and the towels were so soft! The room was well-equipped with a sitting area, television, free Internet access and a well-outfitted kitchenette (refrigerator, electric stove, toaster oven and microwave oven, coffeemaker, kettle, complimentaty coffee - but not tea) and there was a welcome dish of coconut macaroons when I arrived.

The room attendant did a very good job of keeping the room clean and tidy at all times, and I believe that there may have been more than one visit in the course of the day to ensure that everything was fresh each time I came back. The front office staff was efficient and handled my queries promptly. The staff that attended to me at the dining area were also efficient in their service, attentive and responsive. The meals were tasty, however the menu was not very varied over the first two days of my stay. I met the owner/manager and he was also hospitable.

I would not want to spoil this review at all, as my stay I would rate as overalll excellent, but I should mention two recommendations: golf carts are cute for transporting visitors to rooms, but not during rain showers, when alternative tranport should be provided; also, more needs to be done to address the problem of mosquitoes, perhaps cutting the grass back and ensuring that breeding sites are eliminated around the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to visitors, really my stay was comfortable and I was happy to have had the opportunity to visit!

Room Tip: Perpahs if you are female and staying alone, try to get a room at Building 1 or 2 which are nearer t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Cellyandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Wouldn’t you know it? The heaviest snowstorm in 5 years and we have to fly on this day.
After sitting on the runway for 5 hours waiting to de-ice, followed by a 5 hour flight to St.Kitts, 20 minute taxi ride to the dock, 15 minute water taxi across to Nevis and another 5 minute taxi ride we finally made it to the Mt. Nevis Hotel.
Arriving late at night the hotel had long since shut down for the evening. Lucky for us the hotel was aware of our delayed flight and had arranged for the night security guard to be ready to greet us and show us to our room. Hungry after an extremely long day we were delighted to find 2 meals waiting for us in our room. Great first impression!

We loved our room, big, clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated with a Caribbean flair.
It was equipped with a full kitchen, complete with fridge, stove and microwave.
We stayed in one of the suites with a balcony. All the rooms have names; ours was called “Bannaquit” named after one of the many birds seen fluttering around the hotel. The cute little sugar birds always came for a visit at breakfast.

As we had arrived at the hotel in darkness we had no idea what the view from our balcony would be like until the next morning. We were not disappointed. A sweeping view of the hotel grounds with ocean and St. Kitts as a backdrop. We quickly got into a routine of lounging on the balcony with a coffee before doing the short walk over for breakfast. One day we even witnessed one of the Vervet monkeys, you will see occasionally around the grounds, sneak over to the pool for a quick drink before hurrying away.

The small restaurant always served a nice breakfast. Dinners were always delicious.
We can’t say enough about the wonderful staff at the restaurant as well as all the staff at the hotel. Wonderful service and everybody friendly.

The hotel offers a shuttle to nearby beaches. All a short ride away although not really walking distance.
Ouallie Beach (best for swimming) and busiest.
This is where the water taxis dock. Buy a drink or a bite to eat at the \restaurant\beach bar and use their loungers.

Lovers Beach (5 min walk from Ouallie)
Secluded beach for long walks more then a mile long. We were the only ones on the entire beach when we visited it. Too rough for us to swim.

Nesbitt Hotel Beach
Furthest away, scenic, nice beach but somewhat windy at times.

Overall the Mt. Nevis is a small, quiet, unhurried hotel. No stress here. No waits to get a table or be served. No rush to get up early in order to get a lounger by the pool. Truly a tranquil escape away from it all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank snorkel4fun
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2013

(Scroll down to the end if you just want the hotel review and tips - this review is pretty intensive - but also totally honest, in depth and hopefully helpful)

WHY YOU SHOULD TRUST ME ON THIS:
1. I was born and raised in St Kitts. (But haven't lived here for over a decade, and haven't visited Nevis for about half that.)
2. I travel a lot, business and pleasure. And I have very high standards. Esp if it's pleasure. Plus I'm a Virgo, thus unnecessarily critical and ridiculously picky.
3. I'm suspicious of ALL hotel pictures. I know the magic good lighting, staging and a great photographer can do. And seeing some of the pics I saw online of hotels in SK I've seen up close and personal - yeah, there was definitely some magic going on. (Oyster.com is also a great reality check btw)
4. I don't trust 5 star or 1 star reviews. (Some are fakes from the locations or ppl who are not that well-travelled. Some are just bratty or bitter ppl) But for this, I read almost every review on every site I could find to best sift through perception and opinion for the reality.
5. When it comes to hotels in the Caribbean and NY, I don't trust the cost vs quality/value of things -- actual room sizes, quality, amenities etc available (more magic -- since when has "complimentary breakfast" meant a croissant and tepid coffee??)

WHY NEVIS:
My bf and I wanted a romantic getaway during his first visit to SK. He didn't want a chain like the Marriott (There's def some magic, but it's fun to hang out at). He also wanted a unique, Caribbean experience, which led us to Ottley's Plantation in SK. But they weren't very friendly/helpful when my mom was planning my sister's destination wedding here, so I said no to that.
Nothing else in St Kitts really excited either of us. Not that anything is bad, just wasn't what we wanted. Nevis was more of an overall "different" experience for both of us.

WHY MOUNT NEVIS:
After EXTENSIVE research of the hotels on Nevis, we narrowed it down to Oualie, Nesbit, Mount Nevis and Hermitage Plantation. (I even made a comparison chart. It was that serious)
- Four Seasons is a chain and IMO too expensive for what and where it was. Oualie and Nesbit are along the same strip of beach and you can go to the Four Seasons at any time for dinner or to sit on the beach for less. I stayed there years ago and yes it's nice, but not $600+ nice - plus it's a chain.
- Oualie was right on the beach, cheap, satisfactory, but a little too no frills for what we wanted. If we're were going to stay longer than 1 night then maybe - it would've been more cost effective - you know, save on the room, spend on the fun.
- Nesbit was rated next on the list to Four Seasons, lower price point, similar amenities, and my aunt who lives in SK confirmed it's greatness. We visited it on our trip and yes, it was nice. But I'm still head over heels with Mt Nevis.
- Hermitage was also nice -- full of history (it's an old plantation), feels very authentic and original, up on a hill and has a beautiful view. But it was 20ish mins from the beach and had no availability on our anniversary.
- Mount Nevis fit perfectly in between - partially on the mountain, close enough to the beach, within our price range - it was like when Goldilocks found the bed that was juuuussst right!

WHY MOUNT NEVIS IS AMAZING:
- Good price, good process: I booked using the Amex rate on the hotel's site ($315) and used my newly acquired I Prefer membership # (more on this later). Quick, easy and painless.
- Great service: A day later, Monica from the hotel emailed me, welcoming me and asking for my info in order to pick us up from the ferry and to set up any tours and activities. She was accommodating, personable, helpful, patient and informative from that day until we left.
- Little Touches: Upon arrival, we received complimentary rum punch and a cool towel for our hands and faces.
- Nice Rooms: Our room was very nice, modern, clean and subtly luxurious. Def more than I expected. It had a kitchen, bathroom, living room and 2 balconies, with a view of The beach and St Kitts that impressed even me.
- Pool/Beach: The pool was a good size, quiet and looked over the grounds (and that postcard-like view of blue and green). There's a free shuttle to the beach, which is about 15 mins away.

WHY AMAZING TURNED INTO EXCEPTIONAL:
- Driver/Tour Gude: Our initial tour guide was not up to my speed (literally & figuratively) so Monica found us a new one. What a fortunate disappointment! Champ, our new driver, was exceptional. Smart, funny, knowledgeable, efficient, affordable and accommodating (we wanted to stop at almost every beach and had a lot of questions about just about everything past, present and irrelevant.) He took us around the island, visiting historical sites and other hotels, stopping over at Sunshine's beach bar for a pre-dinner drink and then back to the hotel, then to dinner, at a place he recommended when the place we wanted had no more reservations. Anything fortunate disappointment. The new place, Bananas, was so unbelievable.
- Dining Options: We had breakfast at the hotel and visited several nice restaurants at other hotels. The winner was Bananas, a restaurant a bit up in the mountains. Probably the best service I've ever gotten in the Caribbean and a creative and delicious menu. The staff there, from the host to the valet, were superb. Efficient, attentive, friendly.
- The following day, sun-burnt and tired, we mostly hung out on our balcony (where a green vervet monkey came and sat in a tree next to us!) At breakfast, I asked for sun burn soothing gel for my lobster bf at the front desk and Cathy, one of the cooks I think, actually went into the yard and got us fresh aloe and gave us sun screen. Again, above and beyond our expectations and needs!

SERVICE: 6 stars. Little touches like I mentioned above made all the difference in our experience.

ROOM: 4.5 stars. No complaints. Better than I expected.

AMENITIES: 4 stars, what they don't have/do, they'll figure out for you. But seriously, all you need is a bar, food and a book in Nevis. Life suddenly feels so simple there.

COST: Room total with taxes and fees was $385/night. Food/drinks/tips/fees added another hundred to that. Totally worth it.

REALITY VS ONLINE PICS: Legit. Looks pretty close to what you see online. The iPhone pics my bf took look like postcards.

OVERALL: If you're debating between this hotel or island and something else, do it. Book it now. Stop reading this and go on their site and book it. I'll definitely be back!

TIPS:
-Join I Prefer: free membership with awesome perks - complimentary early/late check in, complimentary massage or dinner (varies w locations), complimentary Internet access and complimentary room upgrade. We also had a complimentary fruit and cheese plate and bottle water but I don't know if that was them or the hotel.

- When to go: It's cheaper in off season, but June-Nov is hurricane season and rainy season, so you never know so high season would be a more secure bet, but any time is good! december is Carnival and June is Music Festival, so most expensive then. Both islands are still gorgeous and peaceful and unique. Lots of great beaches, history and fun stuff (snorkelling to zip lining etc) and time and special to rest and relax. Not Jamaica or Bahamas, it's unpretentious and authentic in a lot of ways. (And I'm not saying that bc I grew up here. After almost 14 yrs I'm pretty much a tourist)

- People: be kind to everyone, the staff, the drivers, the person mowing the lawn. I truly believe good goes around. Get to know their names, ask their opinions, treat everyone the way you'd like to be treated. If you don't understand the accent , ask them to speak slower.

- Tip people. The driver, the front desk, the waiters. Service is often included in your bill, but feel free to add on to that. Don't be condescending or anything, but remember, this is their livelihood. Check your meal receipts to see if service was included. It's often 10%, feel free to add more if so compelled.

- ASK FOR CHAMP. Best driver/tour guide I've had in a while. He made my dad look bad. Be clear about your needs and concerns and he will work it out, all at a great rate.

- Eat at Bananas. I had the snapper (delish), bf had the guava ribs (too saucy) both with local veggies on the side. The winners were our drinks, he had the Bertini, a martini like cocktail w passion fruit and I had passion fruit and champagne. They're building a rooftop deck type thing and I can't wait to go back and have a drink under the stars.

- Location: No matter where you are on St Kitts or Nevis you can see the ocean and are within 20 mins of the shoreline.

- Buy locally made souvenirs. Not to mess up anybody's business, but a lot of things are made in China. I'd personally rather get something original and truly local. (Ask about Carla's pottery in SK, one of my favs). Feel free to stimulate anybody's economy if you see something else you love of course. And negotiate if you feel like someone is overcharging.

- Expectations: Don't expect it to be like America or England etc. This is the Caribbean. It's hot, it's dusty, there are bugs/Mosquitos and some things may not make sense or happen in a timely manner. But you went away to get away right? So enjoy the differences.

- Pack: Avon Skin So Soft - great bug repellant. Sun screen. Neti pot. Light clothing. Comfortable walking shoes and NO stilettos - the ground is rocky/uneven/sandy. Wear wedges instead. If you have special or specific brands you use, bring them bc you may not find them here or they may be super expensive.

- Money: $1 US = $2.67/2.70 EC. It's usually more cost effective to pay in EC. So change some of your money over or use a local ATM.

- Food: Eat and drink local. You can have burgers and Bud light or mashed potatoes when you go back home. Try the curry chicken and Carib beer ($2US!!) and mashed yams. Don't expect fast or amazing service - everyone is on island time here. (Another reason Mt Nevis & Bananas were so impressive)

- New Discovery: Find the phone number for Golden Rock hotel - it didn't come up in my online searches (Hermitage didn't initially either) but Golden Rock was LIFE-CHANGING - on the mountain, lots of trees and nature, nice pool, original stone work - it felt like a dream. I've been very adamant about not wanting a wedding ceremony or destination wedding, but being there and seeing this place...it took little to nothing for my bf to convince me we should have the ceremony there. They also have the honeymoon suite in an old sugar mill.

(Don't worry Mt Nevis, I will stay with you again next year any way!)

Sorry this was a novel, but I hope it helps in your decision making. Safe travels!

Room Tip: Join I Prefer, get a room with a balcony, look out for monkeys - seeing one is a treat!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
31 Thank Neishababee
Calgary
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Mt. Nevis Hotel, a former hillside plantation, overlooks the Caribbean. Its large balconies offer spectacular views of the turquoise waters and the south end of St. Kits. Early risers may witness stunning rainbows. The rooms are large and very clean wile the furniture is inviting and comfortable. The grounds are immaculate with a colorful array of local plants and flowers.

The Mt. Nevis menus are varied and the food excellent, with local ingredients being used when available. At no point did I ever feel rushed while dining at Mt. Nevis. The bar and adjacent sitting area offer a relaxed atmosphere in which to meet fellow guests and enjoy an island refreshment.

The most memorable aspect of my six day stay was the hospitable service. The owner made a point of welcoming each guest while the front office, serving and housekeeping staff all went out of their way to ensure that my stay was enjoyable.

If you are looking for that hidden gem to relax and set your own pace while visiting Nevis, look no further than this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper level overlooking the Caribbean offered spacious balconies while the lower le...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank blackroc
London
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Fabulous hotel with excellent quality food. Great, fun menu (happened to be 'Mexican day') which we loved. There was other food too which was wonderful. We would return here for another meal, or to stay. The restaurant setting and views are out of this world.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tjh2
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I took my children to Nevis for Christmas and this hotel, its owner and its staff provided everything we had hoped for and more. From the very first moment, everyone made us welcome.

As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms were large, clean and well kept. We really appreciated the fact that there was an "extra" door that allowed my children and I to have a double room unit. The view from the balcony across the sea to St Kitts was fabulous. Even better was watching the troop of green velvet monkeys walk along the fence in front of us every morning.

The food in the restaurant was excellent, whether the Mexican night (prepared by the Mexican head chef) or the Christmas dinner.

I could write more but the best thing I can say is that I will return to Nevis and this hotel and staff will be my port of call.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Kevin M
Miami Beach
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Nevis a few weeks ago. We had the pleasure of staying at Mount Nevis. What a wonderful family owned hotel. While it did not have the luxury of the Four Seasons down the road, there were so many other ways that it made our trip amazing. The rooms are large, clean, and well kept. The food, especially the breakfast, is delicious. The staff is so friendly and kind (unlike the 4 Seasons...we spent a day at the 4 Seasons resort and dealt with some rude employees). We were treated so well by everyone, whether it was Vanessa, Marion, Sylvia, Curtis, Bernadine, Marva, Mikey in the kitchen! and everyone else who I am accidentally forgetting. The views are gorgeous. I highly recommend this hotel and my wife and I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean and St. Kitts is the best!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
#3 of 3 in New Castle

Been to The Mount Nevis Hotel? Share your experiences!