“outdated super 8”

Reviewed March 19, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ronald W
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at this location on many other trips to Mountain Home. I like the owner and the service provided and the price. The only drawback is the wi-fi signal is very weak and I have trouble accomplishing some of my work.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James N
Reviewed October 10, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was in town visiting family in the hospital after getting news of their terminal illness. It was very late when I arrived and the lobby must have been about 85-90°. The stifling heat made the smell stand out even more than it might have if it had been cooler. I was too tired to drive someplace else and the price was right but if I had known what I was getting before making a reservation I never would have stayed. The room was very hot and smelly as well. I used half a bottle of body spray getting it to a tolerable odor. The other reviews that talk about old, dirty and thin amenities were right on. I was afraid to walk around in the room barefoot. The jelly offered with breakfast was so old and dried out that it wouldn't spread with a knife. I lost my appetite and couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Inexpensive and you get what you pay for. Rooms relatively clean, but outdated. Sheets thin, older furniture, older TV. Breakfast is all but non existent. A couple of bagels and cereal. One evening when returning to my room after work it appeared that someone had went through my stuff. The owner is on site and was OK to deal with.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank KGbaok
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was an awful experience.

I am a graduate student, and travelled to Mountain Home on business for the University of Arkansas last week. We were doing field research in the region. I rented two rooms for my field crew on a University of Arkansas corporate travel card. When making the reservations, the hotel owner spoke such poor English that I could not understand him. I am not unsympathetic to this under normal circumstances, but the broken English wasn't in itself the problem...the owner lost his temper because I could not understand what he was saying, and asked him to repeat himself. He kept raising his voice more and more angrily every time I asked him to repeat something. It took 15 minutes to get through the phone call and he stopped even trying to get through my name and address because he kept repeating it back to me incorrectly. Being rudely shouted at over the phone gave me extreme misgivings about staying at this hotel, and I came close to hanging up and booking somewhere else. I wish I had. Unfortunately, we were meeting up with another crew that had already booked there, which would make logistics easier...so I perserved though the conversation and made my reservations for two rooms for three nights.

I had one room for myself and the other male crew member, and one room for the female members of our crew. The rooms were mediocre, but I have no real complaint about them. When the women in our party went to their room, they found that there was only one towel in the bathroom for the four of them. We had had a long day, and were in a hurry to get dinner...we returned late, so we didn't bother to complain to the front desk that evening. The next evening after returning from our fieldwork, the girls went down to the front desk to ask if they could have some extra towels so they could shower and inform the staff of the oversight the previous night. The owner of the hotel IMMEDIATELY became belligerent and accused them of stealing his towels and started blabbering that he was going to charge us for the "missing" towels. Right off the bat. Directly to implying that we were "stealing" from him. None of us had ever experienced anything like it. I am certainly not accustomed to being called a thief, but this guy leapt right to is so quickly that he must be fairly comfortable levelling that sort of accusation at people. A team of graduate and honors students working on a government-funded project drove to Mountain Home, AR, on the University's dime to steal towels from an angry Super 8 Hotel owner? Ridiculous.

It was so upsetting to my female crew members that I felt I had to go down and confront the owner. I just politely asked if they could have more towels, but he immediately became hostile and threatened to charge us for the "missing" towels that had never been there in the first place. He brought out the maid, who also spoke poor English, and she predictibly backed up his story. There had been three towels in the room when we had arrived, so we must have "stolen" them. I told him in no uncertain terms that he was wrong and that he was NOT going to charge a university account for a crew working on behalf of the federal government for three crappy hotel towels, and he backed down. He supplied new towels but did insist that if we stole the new towels, that then he'd charge us. Ugh. We had intended to stay three nights but checked out the following morning.

This was the most unsettling encounter I've ever had at any hotel, or any other business for that matter. Having the kids who work on my crew called "thieves" (hard-working students who are voluntarily working on a grueling field project all summer) elicited so much anger that I found myself shaking while talking to the guy. The situation was so surreal and ridiculous that I will probably be able to laugh about it at some point. But this unpleasant, horrible man so badly upset us that it still makes me angry to think about it now. His English is barely passable to be handling reservations over the phone, but I certainly wouldn't hold that against someone; his manners, however, are a different story - truly appalling and I do not understand how someone like this can continue to operate in the "hospitality" business (though business didn't appear to be so great at his hotel). There was an excess of creepy little notes tacked up in the lobby, warning people to be quiet going up the staircase, warning people to only take one bucket of ice per room or they'd be charged for it. Just very, very unwelcoming.

Also when he referred to the females in our group over and over again as "those girls!" and told me and the other male crew member that we needed to go question them to "get to the bottom of the story" (implying that they were lying, or couldn't be trusted, and had "changed their story") he spat the word "girls" with enough contempt that it turned my stomach. There was a mysogenistic bent to the entire thing.

Just an apalling experience. I still get angry thinking about it. Do NOT stay at this hotel and do NOT support this man's business.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business